March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (LeFusil, playing hooky, Ian Forrester, SKB, 1 invisible), 308 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,999
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Boxlock
Boxlock

Absolutely beautiful. I love the retro engraving; a perfect nod to the past. Who's the artist? The barrel looks a little heavier than some of the classic WR Martini's - what's the rifle weigh? I'm biased a bit since I love the old WR 300 Sherwoods so much.
This is just a killer example of metal working and understanding what a rifle should look like!

irs Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dennis Daigger

Beautiful!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice looking combination of interesting and tasteful engraving on great fit and finish. Congrats on getting towards the finish line.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Beautiful! Great looking rifle with a gorgeous balance of a neat caliber, great metal work, and stock work! Can't wait to see the final images!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

dznnf7,
Glad you liked the rifle.

Morris Melani profiled the barrel, designed and made the take down mechanism, made the peep sight base and did some of the metal preparation. Jim White of Wasilla, AK is the engraver. Most of the designing and metal preparation as well as the stock work was done by me.

The rifle weighs 5 lbs, 11 ozs and the barrel is 24" long and quite petite. The barrels on my other project that is on this forum are 26" long. Never having handled a WR rook and rabbit rifle I'm not sure how the barrels would compare but the WR rifles shown in the Winfer-Rowe Vol. 8 book all have 27" barrels.

The old classic miniature rifles haven't received much coverage on this forum and would be interesting to see more of it with photographs. To my eye among all of the old classic single shot rifles the miniature Alex Henry is one of the most beautiful rifles ever made and the miniature Fraser is next.

While many consider the miniature Martini homely the flood of Cadets and their very low price demeaned their value as the basis of a high quality custom rifle and resulted in some very ugly amateur stock work. I think at one time or another many of the gunmakers that Petrov researched built custom miniature Martini rifles but this was pre-Cadet days and the actions of all of the rifles that I have seen photos of have been take-down Model 6s,12s or 15s. An Amoskeag auction several years ago had two take-down Model 6 Martini rifles and the engraving on those rifles was the inspiration for the engraving on my four-barrel project. The Hoffman miniature Martini that I have has been the stock design inspiration for my Martini projects. It is an elegant rifle and in my opinion simply as good as a Martini can be made to look.

Too, the scopes that have been put on the miniature Martinis are not in keeping with the svelte action profile. Big scopes mounted on big bulky quarter ribs has been the norm for post war custom Martini work and it all looks out of place to me. I'm using a 2 1/2 power Zeiss Zielklein 22mm scope and that is about right for a cartridge that probably shouldn't be used in hunting conditions much past 150 yards.

Dennis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dennis:

If that's the last Martini you ever have made, I'll say you've certainly gone out on the highest possible note. That rifle is simply exquisite and the chambering is perfect for a short range deer rifle.

I hope the one I intend to build some day ends up half as nice.

Rem

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Got the rings soldered on yesterday and most of the clean up done. It looks better than this photo taken during cool down.

Dennis
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The scope tube, rings and base need some minor polishing touch ups and then ready to blue.

Dennis
Sidelock
Sidelock

It just doesn't get much better that that. Beautiful job Dennis and a nice choice for a scope.

It ain't ignorance that does the most damage, it's knowing so derned much that ain't so! J. Billings
Sidelock
Sidelock

Absolutely stunning! I have one I was going to complete in 218 Mashburn Bee. Now I'm embarrassed to even talk about my plans I had.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.