March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
11 members (cable, craigd, battle, AZMike, FlyChamps, Hammergun, 1 invisible), 378 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,008
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#511683 04/17/18 07:01 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Can an Einstecklauf be purchased in Europe and shipped to the US without the hassle of importation in the sense that a full firearm would? In other words, if one were to purchase one from eGun with the seller's understand that they would need to ship it overseas to the US, could that pass through customs without issue?

Sidelock
Sidelock

fallschirmjaeger,
Under US law, an Einstecklauf is not a firearm, it is only a part. German law may treat it differently. Simpson has them from time to time, you might ask them if there are any special considerations. I noted on the other thread that you just bought a drilling from them, what did you get? was it modified to accept an EL?
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mike,

It is one of the Sauer model 3000 type guns in 16 ga and 7x57R. I'm not sure if it has been modified or not and the descriptions on Simpsons rarely go into too much detail. I suppose I'll need to wait until I get it in my hands before I will even know if I'll be keeping it, let alone seeking out an Einstecklauf to be fitted in it. I also have a lot more research to do into the world of drillings, but I felt after watching them sell from various retailers over the last few years that this seemed a decent price. I've been wrong before though... I'll post pictures of it when I receive it and if I decide to keep it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

fallschirmaeger,
Last year I bought a Krieghoff 16x16-7x65R from them, that had been modified for an EL. I just happened to have a Krieghoff EL in 22 LR, and it fit right in, it even had a decent start on regulation. So, there is a decent chance yours may also be set up. If not, filing the notch in the extractor isn't that hard, but getting a flat area in the rim recess( to fit headspace screw) without the tool might be a "trick". BTW, 7x57R is one of my favorites.
Mike

Last edited by Der Ami; 04/18/18 05:36 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I bought one from Germany - the german seller / gunshop / manufacturer simply gets an export permit and sends it. Not sure what happens in the US, but here in the UK I had it sent to a friendly gun dealer.

I used http://www.zimmermann-waffen.info and with the aid of Google Translate we worked it out. Mine shoots very well.

Do note though, there is an element of work required at your end to fit it to your gun.

1) The rim is supplied over size and this needs turning down to fit the rim in your gun to get correct headspace. There is also a brass adjustable collar that needs adjusting to the forcing cone - this is on a screw thread and takes five minutes to get in correct.

2) The muzzle sleeve is also oversize and needs turning down to fit the choke.

3) Finally a small slot needs cutting into the extractor and a retaining screw fitted - this may some sucking of teeth!!

I got mine in 7x65R to match the existing 7x65R barrel so I have a double rifle (its a combination gun) for shooting running boar. For me a 22 Hornet or other small centrefire is probably not that useful - any fox will fall over just as dead. I could use slugs for driven boar on the continent, but my biggest challenge is getting licence permission to hold them in the UK and indeed even getting 16 guage slugs in the UK. Don't really fancy trying to shoot big boar with untested and unzeroed slugs.

As a double I can put tow rounds from each barrel into a 1" group at 50 yds.

Last edited by HeymSR20; 04/26/18 06:46 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The US is a participant in ITARS, the International Traffic in Arms Regulations. As such, the US interprets importing gun parts, with the exception of sight parts, in excess of $100 wholesale, as requiring permits to import or export. I don't do any exporting, but I do have a Type 8 FFL for importing firearms. To import an einstecklauf requires the approval of a Form 6 by the ATF. There is some provision for the occasional import by a regular Type 1 licensee. I have purchased inserts from Zimmerman, but the German export fees and shipping exceed 500 Euros per shipment. So what I've done is to have another importer who brings guns in add it to his Form 6, then ship it with guns he was shipping. My cost was to him was $100, I believe, for the shared cost on the insert barrel. I know of gun parts, especially gunstocks being imported making it past Customs, but without a Form 6, if Customs sees it, it will be confiscated.

Last edited by Vol423; 05/01/18 03:02 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Vol423,
Thanks for the info.
The fitting procedure described by Heym20 applies to Zimmermann full length, adjustable at the muzzle ELs. The more traditional 22mm and 44mm long rimfire ones are more like my description. I suspect some are imported installed in used drillings and later separated and sold alone.
Mike

Last edited by Der Ami; 05/01/18 04:13 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The used ones are usually file fitted to a no longer existing gun so there is a lottery involved if it will actually fit your gun but weld up and refit is an option. Basic engineering really.

Sidelock
Sidelock

bavarianbrit.
The ones I had installed in Germany( also Bavaria-Muennerstadt) didn't have any file work on the EL itself. Granted, the notch in the extractor was filed in. My friend had a device that looked like the backend of an EL, except that instead of the headspacing screw, there was a hole, into which the pilot of a "spot facer" fit. The spot facer cut a section of the rim recess flat, to fit the headspacing screw. If you have one that has had the headspacing screw filed ( instead of flattening the rim recess), you should be able to turn it a little bit and refit it.

Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey guys, I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I just bought an EL for my drilling. It is a 16ga/.22 long rifle. I have some questions as I am considering fitting it myself.

When I fully turn down the rim screw, the unit projects several thou above the chamber face. I can drop it to the perfect depth by turning the screw. See below...

I don't have the milling device to mill the rim, so, can I file the face of the rim screw down and cut the driver notch a bit deeper to get the same effect?

Also, is the small notch in the barrel's ejector difficult to file in? It seems pretty straightforward as the small roll pin is pretty tiny.

Anyone with any experience here?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.