May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (KDGJ, cpa, gil russell, dblgnfix, 1 invisible), 860 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,496
Posts545,386
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

I can see no one agrees with me. But if concentration of heat is a problem, just plug several four watt night lights into a power strip. LOL, Billyboy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dave, LIght bulbs burning 24/7 don't last long. I use a 40w bulb in my coal boiler during summer months.The bulbs usually last about a month or less.
Dave

terc #51271 08/04/07 10:30 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I yield. I'm guess I'm gonna have to get a GR.

Sidelock
Sidelock

On-a-day, off-a-day - don't want death valley days in my cabinet!

Sidelock
Sidelock

A safe really isn't sealed up all that tight, Thorny. My Liberty has a hole in the top, and a hole in the back, I didn't splurge for the fire resistant model after examining a thoroughly destroyed fire resistant safe that came out of a really 'rippin house fire, so the door has a bit of a gap as well. The Golden Rod doesn't actually remove moisture, it warms the air, and because warmer air can hold more moisture, the net effect is slightly lower humidity then the surrounding area, assuming you limit liquid water in the area-don't put the dogs water bowl near it, for example.
An area with a stable temperature seems to be the most important thing, with a Golden Rod being the icing on the cake, so to speak. Dramatic swings in temperature lead to condensation, and, rust, G rod, or not. I found that out the hard way.
The humidistat in my safe doesn't change drastically with the G rod on, just a few degrees either side of 50%, most of the year. Hard to recreate Death Valley humidity levels here in the heartland, unless you are physically removing moisture from the surrounding air.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Its butts to floor in my hardware store cabinet, and the stocks do get a warmish feel.
AC keeps the humidity level around 50%, so its now and then with the Goldenrod.
I have silicon packets stuffed in there too!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mine on the floor in the back. Flanged plastic baffle in front of it velcroed to the el cheapo Acousticord or whatever that stuff is to protect stocks but the back eight (all oo type) are muzzle down so I ain't worried but I never removed the baffle which I had so conscientiously installed. I also have a 15w light bulb in there for illumination. Circuit is normally open as the door is normally closed. Safe not big enuf for Yuletide decorations.

jack

jas Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I live on the moisture coast so I put the barrels down, use Galazan Nickeled Muzzle Stoppers to keep the barrels of the bottom of the safe, and Damp Rid moisture absorber. I had trouble with one barrel that was on the bottom of the safe so I went to the Muzzle stops.
jas

Currently own two Morgan cars. Starting on Black Powder hunting to advoid the mob of riflemen.
jas #51401 08/06/07 12:35 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Any heat source would work, as long as it is thermostatically controlled, as I believe the GR is. A light bulb on a thremostatically controlled circuit would be fine, except for short life. I haven't checked, but I'd imagine that by the time you bought the parts, you could buy a GR. Otherwise, someone would already be making a cheaper knock-off GR.

Sidelock
Sidelock

An upstairs bedroom converted to gun room is warmer and drier than the rest of the house and I have never had a spot or a bloom of rust there. The guns are cleaned and wiped with oil or Balistol. The guns in use are only wiped with Lehigh Valley Gun Lube and are stored muzzel up as there is no oil to run down. In my climate, garages are not good places to store guns unless they have A/C and heat and are insulated. David

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.