May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (jake van dyke, Roundsworth, MattH, 1 invisible), 644 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,496
Posts545,386
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What can be done to help minimize or hide the look of the plugged holes on my Mdl 21 forearm and buttstock? Some one installed sling swivels and then had them removed.Is there someone you could recommend that could help?

Thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have seen only one gun that had plugs successfully hidden. Quite that were not so successful.
One cosmetic change that might work is to have silver shields made to cover and then engrave with your initials or COA.
Not usual but would make the gun distinctly yours. Course this would not work if you have the notion of selling, someday.
Best,
John

Humble member of the League of Extraodinary Gentlemen (LEG). Joined 14 March, 2006. Member #1.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Another "repair" that will very often work is to refinish the stocks, using a darker stain. A gifted finisher can blend in those two plugs into darker areas pretty easily and still end up with a beautiful piece of wood. Mis-Matched plugs of this sort hide much easier under darker stain.

Sidelock
Sidelock

At least you got wood plugs! My 16-gauge Husqvarna 310-ASE got red epoxy!! I'd cover the plug in the buttstock with an initial shield and do a Bakeresque ebony inlay in the forearm if I wanted to hide them.

Last edited by Researcher; 08/06/07 04:46 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The buttstock plug can be easily concealed, as John noted, with an initial shield; except that I would recommend a gold oval and just leave it unengraved (would add a very nice cosmetic touch). The forearm will be the challenge, and I don't know that I have an answer; but it is rather hideous and I too would try to so something to hide the plug. You might considere a diamond shaped horn or ebony inlay. Diamond shaped black inlays are not uncommon on Winchester guns; and, as there is just enough room to accomodate such a properly done inlay, the finished result would likely have the appearance of a special order custom touch. Good luck in whatever you do!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not up on 21's is the forearm original ?

It looks as though who ever did the plugs needed more practice...sadly it's on you gun. I think why they stand out so is because of a poor fit...the glue lines show.

A diamond shaped inlay wouldn't look right...because it would be touching the checkering border and would look worse than the plug.
If you initial shield the back plug it's going to look too low on the stock.

I'd get a good stock man to replace the plugs with plugs that match the wood and fit better.

APS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

A good stock finisher can hide these with a false grain pattern and the use of a dark stain or finish.

The gold oval for the butt stock is a good solution in any case.

al

Sidelock
Sidelock

On a different tack, you might consider brass inserts tapped to accept sling swivels. Keep the threads covered with a brass threaded rod cut and polished flush wit a small slot. Turn a blem into a dressed feature.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The wood is original with all serial numbers matching both wood and metal.It was Mfg 1937 Standard Skeet Grade 20 Ga. and I would like to keep the original wood on the gun.

Any suggestions on who to contact?

Thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

One more for the shield on the butt stock. Could connect the checkering parterns on the forend with some skill. It appears to be refinished anyway.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I still say the shield will be too low and look out of place.

Sidelock
Sidelock

To install new sling swivels again. Any problem with that?

Geno.
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not exactly an answer to your question, but if it were my gun, I'd live with it! Any other solution (Darker Stain, Brass Plates, etc.),will detract from the looks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ugly problem on a ugly gun. I have three of them so do not get mad at me. I would install a shield on the butt and have the fore end and butt stock refinished to a darker color. Get out of the transparent red stains and a darker stain will be easier to hide this wart. Other option is to restock which will set you back a lot more money.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think jOe nailed it; it's not a real good job. Whoever did it should have cut the plugs from wood that more closely matched those areas of the stock, and then made sure it ran the same direction. Then it could be blended with staining, false graining, etc. if necessary. The fit is poor; that's why the lines are so distinct. In my days in the music business I've seen totally invisible repairs done to fine stringed instruments, but you gotta know what you're doing. I'd find a guy who does, and have him do it right.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
CJO Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

You can install a shield this way,as high as it will go and still hide the plug...it wouldn't look too bad

[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=509921&c=500&z=1"][/url]

and you can modify the checkering pattern slightly to cover the area...the old plug needs to be removed and replaced with one that is diamond shaped and follows the checkering lines and carefuly match the wood colour. also the lines will probably not match up whe you join the two pannels but it could all be worked out somehow,...that's what I would do

Not an easy job but it all can be done if you get creative

Best,

CJ

[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=509922&c=500&z=1"][/url]

Last edited by C. J. Opacak; 08/07/07 11:16 AM.

The taste of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten.........
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.