March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (eightbore), 827 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Doc, I wanted to review the threads from the past year but, and I don't know why, in this sub-forum I can only view threads as far back as May 18, 2019, whereas in the main forum I can go back to 2006.

Anyone else have that problem?

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Recoil Rob
Doc, I wanted to review the threads from the past year but, and I don't know why, in this sub-forum I can only view threads as far back as May 18, 2019, whereas in the main forum I can go back to 2006.

Anyone else have that problem?

now, that you mention it... here is the solution, go to the forum you are interested in and scroll down till you see "display options", look at the box that says "show topics"
and change the setting to say "active in the last year".

Sidelock
Sidelock

That did it, wonder when I changed that or if it's the default?

- Errol Flynn
PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

about one week left for nominations

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hell, I'll nominate SKB's thread started on Dec. 05,2018, " A Best Rifle by Any Measure".

Just long enough (24 posts), not too esoteric (60 posts discussing the rim diameter for a wildcat that only 2 people have ever seen), great photos which are still viewable, maintained civility and devoid of any of any useless posts.

- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Last years Whitey-J.D. Steele Award winner was going to be hard to top. The craftsmanship and artistry exhibited by Dennis Daigger on his "Last Martini" build was stunning. He certainly deserved recognition for the rifle build he shared with us.

That said, I think nothing posted since then comes close to the work that Bailey Bradshaw has shared with us this year. It's one thing to photograph and document a rifle built by someone else. It's another thing to take an existing rifle and use it as a canvas for new engraving, stockwork, and finishing. But it is another realm entirely to do what Bailey Bradshaw has done and shared with us in two threads here, and two in the main Double Shotgun forum.

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubb...3424#Post553424

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=553131&page=1

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=555272#Post555272

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=555852#Post555852

Bailey has joined the ranks of the relatively few men who started with a raw forging or block of steel, and built a totally new rifle of his own design from scratch. In fact, Bailey has done this not only with his Underlever Falling Block, he redesigned it and built a Sidelever Falling Block action. He also came up with a novel new action with his Rising Block Double Rifle.

Bailey didn't just build crude prototypes either. His machining and metal finishing skills are immediately evident. He has told us that the work he has depicted here was all done by him, other than making the rifle barrels. It is refreshing to see that he is so multi-faceted, prolific, and isn't simply farming out much of his work to other shops so that he can spend countless hours here. Yet he was very forthcoming about the fact that Aaron Little will be stocking at least one of his current run of falling blocks, and is generous with his praise for Aaron and his skills. Here's how one guy summed up Bailey's work... short and sweet:

Originally Posted By: pod
Beautiful, its' nice to know there are still some true gunsmiths [artists] around.

But Bailey took it to still another level with his Sidelever Falling Block. The second thread here details that this very attractive and functional rifle isn't a one-off, but that he has moved into custom manufacturing. On top of that, he seems willing to take the time to show us and explain to us many details of his innovative designs and his machining operations. His photography is very good, considering that it seems he is often taking the photo with one hand while holding an action, trigger guard, etc. in his stained machinist's opposite hand. I really enjoy seeing a working gunsmith shop rather than a photo studio.

Unless something else better is posted in the next couple days, this nomination seems like an obvious choice to me. I'd like to think Whitey and J.D. Steele would agree.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It my distinct pleasure to announce that Bailey Bradshaw has been selected to receive the Whitey J.D. Steele Award. I am sure that both Whitey and Joe would have loved both the threads by SKB and Bailey Bradshaw, I would like to thank the nominators as well.

I am sorry that this has been delayed, it was a combination of the forum being down with the switch to a different server and me being busy at work and at home.

I miss them both, they were good guys and their example made and still makes me want to be a better person.

Fred (aka PhysDoc)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great choice, Fred

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you gentlemen. This is really nice.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Bailey Bradshaw
Thank you gentlemen. This is really nice.

And thank you Bailey... for taking the time to share details of your innovations and superb craftsmanship with us. It is both very interesting and very inspiring.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.