April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (SKB), 276 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,458
Posts544,976
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

23's are solid post ww2 guns...but for similar money, one can have a far better american made ww2 era gun...like the 21...or a late pre war parker or fox...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ive been looking for model 21s and they seem to be higher. Light duck and heavy duck $2800-3800

"Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun"
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Replacement
I'm a relative lightweight at 180, but I have never found the kick from my 12ga 101 to be objectionable. Field grade, 28", sk/sk.

That would leave you with a wealth of 101's to choose from.

And on the M23 thing - IIRC there was a minor problem in them with the ejectors, or hammers, or trigger somethings. Ejectors I think. Been a long time since I checked it out but at one time I was gonna get one of them and then I came across the problem thingie. You might want to check that out.
just a thot

Last edited by Wonko the Sane; 06/27/18 10:41 PM.

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Replacement
I'm a relative lightweight at 180, but I have never found the kick from my 12ga 101 to be objectionable. Field grade, 28", sk/sk.

Good lord. I am 155lbs and here I am about ready to shoot my new Krieghoff .470 NE double rifle. Cant wait to see how much it punishes me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Recoil is relative. Everyone has a different threshold. It's mind over matter. If you don't mind............. it don't matter.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with Stan here. A persons weight has little to do with it.An older neighbor of mine had an old 12ga 30" single barrel "Hardware brand, don't recall the exact name. Once several of his daughters & families were vising him. I had been invited down also. We got that old single out & shot it a bit.
I was around 16 at the time & weighed around 150 lbs. One of his Grandsons was around 13 & weighed about 99 Soaking wet if he was wearing heavy clothes . Neither of us had any problem shooting it. One of his Son-in-laws was there & probably weighed at least 200 & was Not Fat. He was a big city mail carrier in the days when they walked a beat with that big leather pouch slung on their shoulder & was solid as a Brick. He fired that old 12 one shot & said he won't shoot it again for $100.00, it kicked him so bad,
Go figure.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

When I was shooting skeet I found the big guys (not fat) shot the small gauges. I surmised that large guys absorbed more recoil into their shoulders. Slim guys' shoulders moved more easily.

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Builder, to a large extent I agree with you.
However I'm not tall only reaching around 5'9", this guy was at least 6'. Even after I became Roly-Poly (Fat) & went well above 200 lbs recoil still didn't bother me. I think a lot of the solution is to be certain the gun is snug into your shoulder & then learning to roll with the punch, don't try to Brace against it.

I once bought a new 20ga 3" double which was uncomfortable even with the
2-1 loads. It came with a recoil pad that was spongy soft. I changed it out to a firmer pad & after that was a mere pussy cat, even shot a few of the 3" mags through it & was not as bad had been previously with the lighter loads. That spongy pad just gave it "Jumping Room".

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Recoil is relative. Everyone has a different threshold. It's mind over matter. If you don't mind............. it don't matter.

SRH

Sensitivity was certainly not the issue with the 101 for either my wife or me. Her MX8 pigeon gun is barely more than 7lbs and she shoots factory pigeon loads with no problem. My fave old Mirage is 7lb3oz and is a delight to shoot with Fed pigeon loads. Our experience with the 101 was far from unique as the guns have a heavy rep as face slappers. I'm sure there are a number of possible reasons but I had no interest in the exploration. The Beretta 682 that replaced the 101 had no problems at all.

Go figure

Last edited by Wonko the Sane; 06/28/18 11:23 AM.

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think it might be how it fits you. In 1966 I bought a 101 30" 12ga field gun 2 3/4" F&F and put over a quarter million shells through it shooting international trap and after I retired opened the chokes and used it to shoot live birds at hunt tests. I liked it so much I bought another one with 26" barrels and had them opened to sk & sk for skeet shooting and grouse(I've been shooting it for 50 yrs).

I can't shoot a 686 for beans but a Superpose Lightning works great.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.