March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (eightbore, SKB), 684 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#517812 07/07/18 05:43 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Adding my second pump gun to the stable, I picked up my first Ithaca model 37 in 16 gauge yesterday. Neat gun. In grouse hunting circles, this gun seems to be highly regarded, so for years I've looked on and off for the right gun at the right price. This 28" barrelled 37 has a full choke (this will need to be remedied), a left handed safety (I'll be changing this over soon), a beefy all-leather sling, a padded soft case, and believe it or not, a side-mounted aperture sight which uses the preexisting bolts in the receiver. Obviously, I'll be removing the aperture sight because this will be a bird gun, but kind of a neat thing regardless. This gun was born in 1952. Seems like a lot of gun for the $217 shipped I paid for it.

Now, to find an English stock for it...

Sidelock
Sidelock

It isn't off topic at all. There has been a version of that gun in my safe for the equivalent of five dog lifetimes. The right one is indeed a fine grouse gun.
I'm not sure when the Ithaca company went to the cheaper version of the buttstock for the 37 maybe 1956 or so, but, they are truly ugly compared to the earlier efforts. More than one 37 has had it's pistol grip rasped off, but, last I checked the folks at Upper Sandusky will sell you a brand new copy of whatever version you want, so you don't need to sacrifice the original. Ditto on the safety. Hang onto the lefty version, someone down the road might need it should you decide the 37 isn't your cup of tea.
Remember to pump! Skeet goes a long way toward keeping you sharp on pumping your gun. Yes, I have forgotten to pump a gun in the heat of the moment, likely from my mostly complete conversion to double guns, over the years. If you will be hunting woodcock, do remember to plug your gun. I have used a pencil, in a pinch. The barrels on the guns of your era are NOT interchangable. You will probably be working with the barrel you have, either relief of the existing choke, or Mike Orlen can set you up with reasonable cost choke tubes.
A long time ago, I used a Remington 17 (same gun, different name on it) to take a limit each of grouse and woodcock on a sunny afternoon near Orr, MN, and became camp hero for a day. I never shoot more than a brace of any birds these days, but, a 37 would be more than enough gun for the task.
I think you will enjoy it.
There are many fellows here who enjoy pumps along with their doubles. You should, too.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am fan also, sounds like yours was set up for turkey hunting, or possibly deer with Forster slugs. Mine is choked mod. When I used it for all hunting I would load a spreader first followed with a regular shell making it a two shot gun good for grouse, the choke remains mod. After a while keeping the sequence in order became second nature. Not sure how much you would gain in a full choke. I bought mine with a lefty safety too. The bottom ejection made them attractive to the left handed I suppose. Mine still gets out, mostly for doves now though.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I got one (a 12ga model 37) for Christmas in '63 when I was a soph in High School. I added an extra barrel in full choke and shot it for everything until I was 40.

Switched to jam-o-matics for a coupla years and then entered my doublegun phase. I still keep a few pumpguns around, but i don't shoot them much anymore...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: fallschirmjaeger
Adding my second pump gun to the stable, I picked up my first Ithaca model 37 in 16 gauge yesterday. Neat gun. In grouse hunting circles, this gun seems to be highly regarded, so for years I've looked on and off for the right gun at the right price. This 28" barrelled 37 has a full choke (this will need to be remedied), a left handed safety (I'll be changing this over soon), a beefy all-leather sling, a padded soft case, and believe it or not, a side-mounted aperture sight which uses the preexisting bolts in the receiver. Obviously, I'll be removing the aperture sight because this will be a bird gun, but kind of a neat thing regardless. This gun was born in 1952. Seems like a lot of gun for the $217 shipped I paid for it.
Now, to find an English stock for it...

I Will swap you for the lefty safety? Could always use another.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Woody402

I Will swap you for the lefty safety? Could always use another.

Careful, the safeties are not interchangeable. Learned that the hard way...Geo

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Did the safeties change at some point during the run of the 37? Any idea on what I should look for to know which safety will work?

Woody, what year was your gun made?

Interestingly enough, this gun came a seller in western NY.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not sure about the safeties, I had no problem swapping mine for a right handed safety. My gun is among the first run to have interchangeable barrels, 1964. There maybe early vs. late safeties? My gun has the later stock but pre the pressed, ugly checkering, in fact no checkering at all. Perhaps George could elaborate on his safety experience.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not sure but I think changes were made in 1964 so that barrels were interchangeable and that was also when they messed with the safety design. Mine was pre-64 and I swapped safeties with a guy who wanted a righty for his son and I wanted a lefty for one of my sons. Wouldn't fit.

There is a metal tab in the back of the trigger on the older ones which prevents the safety from the newer ones from fitting. Or at least that's what I think I remember...Geo

My older one fit his gun but his safety from the later (press checkered) gun did not fit mine.

post script: Woody, if you need a left handed safety from the newer model, I'll give you the one I have if I can remember how to take it out of the gun.

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 07/07/18 08:17 PM. Reason: added final sentence
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pretty sure safety design never changed. You will have to pull the trigger to change it. I have not changed one in a long while but also think you have to remove the trigger to get in in. Watch you don't loose the spring loaded detent when you pull out the safety. There may be instructions somewhere on the web in one of the takedown posts.

Last edited by Walter C. Snyder; 07/07/18 08:38 PM.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.