March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Dan R, Parabola, canvasback, David Williamson, craigd, ChiefAmungum), 320 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,984
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Great thoughts again. Thank you. It is interesting how some people feel that faster powders like Red Dot in their mind "kick" less. I like the 28 gauge to 8 gauge analogy. I am currently loading 13.5gr of 800X in my 3/4 Oz. loads. That would be 27gr. in the 8 gauge with 1 1/2 Oz. which is the neighborhood I was thinking. I will start with 26gr with 1 1/4 Oz. of shot. I will load 1 1/2 with 27gr., then 28grains and see what they do. I wondering if 800X could be used in 4 gauge as well.......? I might have to try some of those too!

"As for me and my house we will shoot Damascus!"
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones

"As far as what one FEELS . . . there you get into an area that can't really be measured. But blind tests conducted with British shotshells and reported by the late British shotgun guru Gough Thomas showed that a team of shooters " . . . unanimously voted that the variety giving the least sensible (felt) recoil were those that, unknown to them, had been loaded with the fastest-burning powder."

Which is the opposite of the thoughts of every single trapshooter I used to shoot with years ago. They loaded Green Dot and PB to 'spread the recoil out over time'. Push vs. sharp kick.

I read Garwood 20 years later and just shook my head. His dissertation on tiny headspace variations making enormous differences in felt recoil is rich too.

He may have been an engineer, but his train was off the rails.

What is it they say about old trapshooters? Sooner or later, they all go to a release trigger due to a flinch?

Remember, there is some science behind what Thomas wrote. When calculating recoil, while all factors other than shot charge and velocity may be minor, you can't completely exclude them. Thus, the amount of powder used is part of the total "ejecta", along with the shot and the wad. And with fast-burning powder, you use less of it than you do with slow-burning powder. Which means--assuming everything else in the load remains the same--you should expect to feel less recoil because you've reduced the total ejecta by a few grains. So what Thomas reported is not at all counter-intuitive. Push vs sharp kick . . . would you rather have the nurse push the needle in slowly, or do it quickly?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I always favored a faster powder for my low pressure load. 700x was my choice most of the time. Never had any noticeable variation due to temperature. Regular "Clays" was another of my powders for a low pressure load.

Last edited by Chuck H; 08/18/18 08:49 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Comparing getting a shot to recoil is like comparing apple to oranges. The needle penetrates, the guns Butt doesn't. Would you rather I place a hammer against your shoulder & slowly push on it or Draw it back & hit you with it.

That was essentially what Thomas said which was nothing but Pure Bull. He stated the only conclusion he could come to was that with the faster powder the kick was so "Fast" the shooter didn't have time to feel it. Go back & read it again for yourself.

"IF" you honestly believe that Crap I've got a Whole Bunch of stuff I'd like to sell you. Thomas was not even present at this "Blind Test", had only the powder makers word. He had no idea even as to what powders were tested.

Actual recoil & "Perceived" recoil can be, & often is, entirely different.
First time I ever fired a Colt 1911-A1 I thought its Kick was unbearable. I stupidly wasn't wearing ear protection. Shot it again the next day with ear protection, same gun, shells from the same box & it was a pussy cat. The recoil didn't change but my perception Did.

Best thing to do with Thomas' test is to throw it in the trash & forget it. His report on it was & is absolutely useless.

Being an "Engineer" sure didn't help him much in this case. As I recall he was a Civil Engineer. Understand I'm not knocking the trade, but they are trained to lay out & measure land, roads etc, not calculate recoil forces in a
gun.

Based on a 1 1/8 oz load the difference between using 20 grains of powder versus 30 grains would give a total weight difference of about 2%. I Firmly believe you best seriously Re-Think there being any Science involved at all in Thomas' report of this incident.

I may be a Tennessee Hill-Billy but I for sure AIN'T that stupid.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper

... Being an "Engineer" sure didn't help him much in this case. As I recall he was a Civil Engineer. Understand I'm not knocking the trade, but they are trained to lay out & measure land, roads etc, not calculate recoil forces in a
gun.

I've known many Civil Engineers, including my late father-in-law and most recently, my nephew graduated from a great Tennessee institution, Vanderbilt, with a Civil Engineering degree. A Civil Engineer from any accredited college is fully equipped to calculate recoil forces and much much more. They routinely deal with dynamic forces in their trade. Lest that building or bridge fall down.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
Comparing getting a shot to recoil is like comparing apple to oranges. The needle penetrates, the guns Butt doesn't. Would you rather I place a hammer against your shoulder & slowly push on it or Draw it back & hit you with it.

I vote for Miller hitting Larry with the hammer! Make that a sledge hammer.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Total agreement Chuck, as I said I was not knocking Civil Engineers in general. Thomas sure didn't apply any of that ability in this instance though, his Conclusion was utterly ridiculous. Perhaps they get a lot more training in those fields today than when Thomas was schooled.

Simply stating one has been schooled in the highest field of Mathematics for instance doesn't impress me a lot if they say that 2+2 = 22.

Thomas simply made a big deal over this & didn't even have the facts to base his decision on. Certainly not something any "Wise Engineer" would do regardless of his field,

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeah, not everything GT wrote was gospel.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Burrard wrote facts, Garwood wrote novels.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm with Chuck on 700X. As far as what engineers can and can't do, a Bloomberg writer visited last week. Her father was a field worker in bare feet, his school a slate hanging from a tree, saw a discarded application for college in Bangalore, filled it out to become civil engineer and graduated with doctorate from Southampton University in England, specializing fluid dynamics, went on to assist in design of dams, bridges, jet fighters and helicopters. I can't imagine recoil physics as beyond any engineer.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.