Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#521521 08/26/18 09:29 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have always been fascinated with versatility. I also have an affection for the German's quest to perfect it. I know many will argue that "a jack of all trades, is a master of none", and I admit I can't point to a personal example to refute this. I own an aging German Wirehair and a young Deutsch Drahthaar. I love both dearly, but, compared to my buddy's setters, they are both "flushing pointers" and "crushing retrievers" at best. They exemplify "masters of none", unless you include cat extermination or couch domination.

It should come as no surprise that I have wanted a drilling for awhile. I had a detailed "wish list" which included, the "versatile" 16ga for the tubes, a claw mounted scope (preferably variable), splinter forend, longish barrels, nice wood, game scenes, and a horn trigger guard. I know some of these things seem quirky, but I cant quite explain it. This was my ideal. I thought a 6.5x55 under barrel would be awesome, but I found they are VERY rare, at least in Canada.

So began my search, that included going to auctions, surfing the web, and talking to old German guys at gun shows. I found a couple I was tempted by here and there, but they usually were in high condition and very expensive. Most importantly, they weren't "exactly" what I was looking for, and if I was going to lay out serious dough, it had to be the one.

While loafing around on the internet and discussing combo guns on another forum, I got a tip that a Canadian gun importing outfit just got a shipment in from Europe and there were a few drillings in the lot. I checked the website and there it was! after a 2 second declaration to my wife that I was about to make a purchase, I furiously began typing in a "I will take it" fearing the response "out of stock". All was good and the payment went through.

So, into my life comes a 1960 Sauer 3000. 16x16 over 7x65R with a Hensolt 1.5x6 claw mount scope. Its a lux dural with really nice wood, and game scenes on the receiver. HORN TRIGGER GUARD EVEN!

Happy Happy Happy...couldn't wait to get it in the mail.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Upon arrival, reality set in. Typically, guns from this outfit are well used, and this was no exception. The price paid reflected the guns condition. The stock had been cut down and it sported a Mauser rubber recoil pad (well fitted). The wood stocks seemed like they had serious potential, but they were sorta stripped and oiled poorly. The engraving was dirty and full of grime or varnish. the barrels were not pitted, but the bluing was down to about 50% from carry/use. Trigger guard cracked, action tight, but all three barrels didn't cock every time you opened it...

Most of this was within my abilities to fix, so I took a deep breath, ignored my friends laughing and head-shaking, and set to work. In hindsight, I should have read over "the ugly ducking" for inspiration.

First step: disassembly and inspection. All seemed fine inside, nothing broken and pretty dirty. I have access to a really good ultrasonic at the range at work, so it went for a long bath. Parts came out sparkling clean! Happy Happy Happy. Time to look at the stocks.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Wood work doesn't intimidate me at all. Growing up a cabinet maker's son, took care of that. All these stocks needed was attention. I stripped them and soaked out the oil stains, steamed the dents and dings as best I could, and re cut the checkering. Good old hand-rubbed tung oil made them beautiful again.

I have also had experience with slow-rust bluing and tackled the barrels next...

Once they were stripped down to the white and any scratches disappeared, I was good to go. It took about 12 passes and a whole weekend of fussing with them, but they eventually turned black again.

It was time to put her back together. Keep in mind, I had not even fired it yet...que laughing and head-shaking friends...

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Miraculously, I remembered how it all went back together...

Once I got it buttoned back up, all function tests were 100%. All three barrels now cocked upon opening, all the indicators showed, rifle sight popped up when selected, and it snapped closed like a bank vault. Time to try shooting it! One problem, 7x65R is not available on the shelf at "Canadian Tire". I did have lots of 16ga however (it is my favourite gauge), so off to the pattern board.

Shotgun barrels worked as expected. Triggers were crisp and fairly heavy. Chokes seemed fine, patterns where I expected (maybe a tad low).

My activity at the board drew over a guy I know who was immediately interested in the gun. I was whining about not having any rifle shells for it, and he says "I know a guy...yada yada yada". so after a phone call, a 15 minute drive, and $60, I end up with this.

Which led to this...

Which resulted in this! Not one scope adjustment (100yds)

These were shot from a rest, using the set trigger, cold clean barrel every time. 173grain Sellier and Bellot SPCE bullets. Happy Happy Happy

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Bear with me folks, I know it's a long story...

So, this little project didn't stop me from nosing about at a gun show, and in my never-ending quest for versatility, I see a Krieghoff .22 insert sitting in a gun case. It was part of a Merkel combo set and in 16ga!! The seller let on that it was part of the set, but I could tell it wasn't as the gun didn't have a notch cut in the extractor to show it had been fitted. After some haggling reminiscent of the show "Pawn Stars", and after paying too much...I had it in my hands!!

This is the part where the power of the internet comes in. I was excited about this little find, but totally unaware of how to use it or even install it. the guys on this site were AWESOME! Mike (Der Ami) offered direction and encouragement, and with is advice as well as some info from the Blaserbuds fellas, I actually fitted the darn thing myself (see purchasing einstecklauf thread)

The insert was obviously fitted to another gun at some time and I had to use adhesive aluminum tape to regulate it where the .22 bullet wouldn't hit the inside of the shotgun barrel, but I got it grouping well at 25m

The tape thing didn't sit well with me however as I thought it would eventually lose its ability to be re-inserted without adjustment. This wasn't the only thing I felt needed to be fixed. In shooting some five-stand and skeet with it, I came to realize the LOP was too short for me and the rubber slip-on pad looked like crap. I decided to contact Krieghoff and order two new adjustment lugs, a new rim screw for a spare, and four new adjustment screws because the original ones had been pretty buggered up. They were fantastic to deal with and had the parts shipped to me lickety-split. I also decided to add some wood to the stock...

Last edited by Dilly541; 08/26/18 10:31 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I couldn't find a piece of walnut to match what the Sauer had so I decided not to hide the fact wood was being added. I placed a black divider between the splice and fitted a kick-eez pad to the back. Because the pistol grip had a white line, I threw one of those in at the back too for good measure. After finalizing the pad's fitment and getting the "hogs back" stock profile smoothed in, the LOP landed at 14 5/8". That's right where I wanted it.

The proper length of pull proved a good move at clays.

The gun weighs 6 lbs 6oz without the scope and balances about 1" ahead of the hinge pin. The 26" barrels swing just like my other doubles and I find the gun is lively and responsive.

Misses were the Indian...not the bow, so to speak.

Last edited by Dilly541; 08/26/18 10:42 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

After getting the new adjusting lugs for the .22 insert, I put them on. They were oversized to the point that they didn't even allow the insert to go into the chamber, so I set about with a file, removing steel a little at a time. I just went very slowly until it slipped in. I then made sure I contoured them as best I could to match the edges of the chamber walls AND to keep it from tipping up where the bullet would hit the barrel again. Once I was where I was comfortable at the bench, it was back to the range...

I fiddled the adjustment lugs back and forth and did a wee bit more filing at the range, but ended up here...

I then took it out and re-inserted it each time for a 5 shot group...I was happy with the return to zero.

It wasn't too bad at 50m either...I held on the X for the last shot.

Happy Happy Happy

Last edited by Dilly541; 08/26/18 11:14 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice post and job well done.

Regards,

Mark

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dilly,
Wonderful, It is great to see a project come together so well. Your only failure seems to be you didn't recognize these things are addictive. Let us know when you start your next project. Maybe you can find a 16/16- 6.5x57R with 60cm barrels.
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Having any questions about winged or furred small game answered, my thoughts turned to big game. Where I hunt up North, there is a chance you could bust a deer in thick cover while walking to a stand. Being confident with it as a scoped rifle, I wondered what she would do with buckshot and slugs. So I dusted off some old "Imperial" (that's an old Canadian ammo company for you Yanks) buckshot shells in "SG"

I grabbed a couple slugs too...two being really old and one modern Federal I had kicking about.

The buckshot was tested at 30 yards from a rest on a deer sized target. It pattered low as I was holding on the heart. I am sure it would knock one down easily at that range especially if you held a little up on the lungs.

With the slugs at 50M, she proved to be a big disappointment however...

I found it interesting that the barrels seemed to be regulated even though they were both way off target. I wonder if the right slugs, perhaps Brennekes, would hit better. Regardless, I don't need them, I can just use the rifle!

SO, I know its been a bit of an epic here, but that's where I am at now. Future plans include loading dies in an effort to fine down that grouping, and I think she has earned herself a nice leather covered case.

I have a line on a 16ga 410'r insert too...can never have too much versatility right?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.