March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
10 members (Der Ami, JDH, craigd, JayCee, 2 invisible), 364 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,991
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 44 of 56 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 55 56
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, you continue to amaze. Now I wish I'd bid on that Reilly .410 "Specimen" hammer gun.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: coosa
Stan, how do you manage the sunflowers to hold birds that long? And how do you grow them at all with so many deer around? I'm able to grow browntop but I can't grow sunflowers. The deer eat them as soon as they come up.

Steve, I really don't know for certain why they stayed in the sunflowers this year so long. They usually don't. But, this year has not been normal. The winter has been extremely wet, but more importantly to this issue, extremely warm. I was told many years ago by some supposedly knowledgeable game officials, that in cold weather, doves can't get enough energy to survive from sunflowers, that they will need a better source of energy, like cornfields or peanut fields. There's been no cold this winter to speak of. Maybe that's part of it ?

Deer? Arghhhh!! They're my nemesis. Our best method to keep them out, so far, has been keeping a heavy band of milorganite all the way around the field until they get almost mature. You have to replace it after every significant rain event, but it helps tremendously. A deer proof fence might be better, but the capital investment up front can be prohibitive.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 01/15/19 06:57 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan

Deer? Arghhhh!! They're my nemesis. Our best method to keep them out, so far, has been keeping a heavy band of milorganite all the way around the field until they get almost mature. You have to replace it after every significant rain event, but it helps tremendously. A deer proof fence might be better, but the capital investment up front can be prohibitive.

SRH

A 3-wire, stand-off electric fence works pretty well to keep deer out of our garden and orchard. It is pretty cheap and easy too.

There is a better video of this type of fencing, but I can't find it.
The spatial configuration is pretty obvious however and that's the key.

Last edited by BrentD; 01/15/19 07:18 PM.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: J.B.Patton
Last hunt in central Illinois before the snowstorm arrives tonight.......Good day for Eva the wonder dog and a 1906 Sauer model XIV E 16 ga. roundtop.
RST & Polywad spreaders deliver great patterns for the tightly choked 29 1/2” barrels!
Best Regards,
JBP

BEAUTIFUL gun J.B.!

Sidelock
Sidelock

You're right. From personal experiences of friends of mine they do work, and we have looked into them. But, when you start considering putting them on large acreages it gets pretty expensive ..............and bothersome. What they don't tell you is that when it doesn't work for one deer, and they run through it, they drag and scatter the wire all over the place. I tried it on a 12 acre field, which is really small, and it was a disaster. For some reason unbeknownst to me, it works on small food plots but not on big fields.

Trust me, there is no easy answer to the deer problem here, right now. Except CWD, and that doesn't seem to exist in the Deep South.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Closed out the GA dove season this morning with one more shoot on the sunflower field. It has really produced this year, and held the birds constantly since Sept. 1. That is usually not the case, but who's complaining?

I was thinking seriously last evening about taking a bigger bore gun, a 20, 16 or even (shudder) a 12. But, I opened the season with the Dickinson .410 and made the decision to close it with the new FAIR Iside .410. So glad I did. The birds cooperated, in a way, by showing up. But, it was the most challenging shooting of the year because of the bird's speed, wariness and aerobatics. We're not going to be talking percentages here, if you get my drift. blush

Nice, clean 15 bird limit of big old healthy birds. Don't that little gun look tiny in comparison to those big old birds?

No more new dove pics until September, cross my heart.

SRH

Nice shooting chair Stan. Cabela's? I think I have the same one...swivels?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD

A 3-wire, stand-off electric fence works pretty well to keep deer out of our garden and orchard. It is pretty cheap and easy too.

There is a better video of this type of fencing, but I can't find it.
The spatial configuration is pretty obvious however and that's the key.

You're right. From personal experiences of friends of mine they do work, and we have looked into them. But, when you start considering putting them on large acreages it gets pretty expensive ..............and bothersome. What they don't tell you is that when it doesn't work for one deer, and they run through it, they drag and scatter the wire all over the place. I tried it on a 12 acre field, which is really small, and it was a disaster. For some reason unbeknownst to me, it works on small food plots but not on big fields.

Trust me, there is no easy answer to the deer problem here, right now. Except CWD, and that doesn't seem to exist in the Deep South.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Large acres would be a different issue but for one or two small plots for birds, it might work.

I haven't had them run through it but I'm sure it happens.

Don't worry, CWD is coming. Just a matter of time.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: fallschirmjaeger
Closed out the GA dove season this morning with one more shoot on the sunflower field. It has really produced this year, and held the birds constantly since Sept. 1. That is usually not the case, but who's complaining?

I was thinking seriously last evening about taking a bigger bore gun, a 20, 16 or even (shudder) a 12. But, I opened the season with the Dickinson .410 and made the decision to close it with the new FAIR Iside .410. So glad I did. The birds cooperated, in a way, by showing up. But, it was the most challenging shooting of the year because of the bird's speed, wariness and aerobatics. We're not going to be talking percentages here, if you get my drift. blush

Nice, clean 15 bird limit of big old healthy birds. Don't that little gun look tiny in comparison to those big old birds?

No more new dove pics until September, cross my heart.

SRH

Nice shooting chair Stan. Cabela's? I think I have the same one...swivels?

Yes! Good eye. It's the best swivel chair I've ever seen. And, get this. I got it for nothing!! I drove out to a center pivot irrigation system in a field right behind my house about a year ago and it was just sitting there. Someone who evidently did not know who owned the land had left it there. I was thinking just today how many nice ladder stands and stuff I have confiscated over the years. But, this chair is the ultimate. Cabela's doesn't sell them anymore, but I found one offered on eBay for some crazy price. Pretty comfy for this 67 yr. old dude.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Twenty five acres, which is what our sunflower field is, is a small dove field around here. I have shot 60 acre sunflower fields. That's a lot of wire. Thanks for the suggestion, tho'. It may come to that. But, in the meantime I'll keep hoping for CWD.

SRH

Page 44 of 56 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 55 56

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.