March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 298 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 45 of 56 1 2 43 44 45 46 47 55 56
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, sounds like a great morning. That little Dickinson is a fine looking shotgun. A friend has had it with electric fences and he has had ample experience with electric fences, dove fields and deer. On his 30 acre sunflower, benne, corn field in Jenkins County, he built a gated high wire fence similar to what is used in high fence deer operations. It works. It also excludes hogs, coons, etc. He had a shoot Sunday at his other place with 500-600 birds in about 30 acres of corn and sunflowers as the guns went out into the field at 2 pm. They got up and they never came back. Here today; gone today. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
Here today; gone today. Gil

Yep, got several of those T-shirts, the latest one yesterday. wink

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan,

Our sunflower 'plots' aren't plots they are any where north of 160 acres usually 620 acres. We don't have a dove season up here but we do have an elk season smile smile

Last edited by Tamid; 01/15/19 10:32 PM.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've seen pics of the huge prairie sunflower fields in Alberta, and the pea fields, Tamid. That's a different world. While there are some larger fields here (100 to 300 acres), many are broken up by woodlots or old fencerows into smaller, odd shaped fields. You could never "hem the birds up", doves I mean, to have shoots like we do, in huge fields like that. We've tried for years to shoot big fields successfully, but it almost never results in a good shoot. Guns need to be far enough apart for safety, but close enough together that the doves don't light on the ground between the guns to feed.

A 25-30 acre field, dedicated to sunflower or other crop attractive to doves, works well for up to 15-20 people. And, it can also be shot successfully by as few as 6-8. And, it costs a whole lot less to plant and cultivate than a 100 acre field. It's an expensive proposition, growing sunflowers properly. But, well worth it when you love dove shooting like I do.

SRH

P.S. The best thing to ensure lots of doves on a field around here is to have the only one within several miles, tho' that's out of our control, generally. One of the best dove fields I ever shot over was a little 10 acre field near Summerville, SC that was smack dab in the middle of thousands of acres of pine plantation. There was no agriculture of any kind, and the doves were drawn to that planting like gnats to a dog's rear end. Unbelievable. It belonged to a friend's Dad. He and I killed our limits that afternoon with m/l doubles and black. What fun!! We were the first ones to limit and be off the field. We took a lot of ribbing that day about creating so much smoke. smile

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 01/16/19 08:35 AM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan,
You mentioned CWD, above, it is coming. I understand they found a case in Mississippi last year, not that far from the Ala. line. Next year, we won't be able to use anything with natural doe urine in it, artificial will be OK. Importation of nonresident deer is strictly prohibited and "parts" are highly regulated. I dread it.
Mike

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I'm not sure what to think about CWD, it has been here for years. We had a huge die off in the local Mule Deer populations a dozen or so years ago, not sure what caused it. They have bounced back in a big way now. I know CWD is still here in Colorado but we hear much less about it than we did some time back.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

I dont know if it was CWD but a few years ago we had a big die off in very small areas. Every deer in a two mile area was dead. We are talking several hundred deer. They took samples but I never heard what they decided the cause was. It hit so fast the it burned out before it could spread. It sounded like a viral problem with both short incubation time and rapid death. Had the incubation period been longer or the death phase been longer it could have spread far and wide. It was a bit sad seeing all those dead deer in such a small area. That was just one location but I heard several others occurred. This was back in the Eastern Shore area in MD.

Last edited by KY Jon; 01/16/19 11:24 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, you can put that limit of fat doves on dry ice and send them to California!
Jim

NRA Life Member
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Went with the usual suspects on new ground today. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil,
It looks like you're having a great woodcock season, wish I were there! Nice gun.
Karl

Last edited by Karl Graebner; 01/17/19 07:03 PM.
Page 45 of 56 1 2 43 44 45 46 47 55 56

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.