March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,244 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The offending bushing died by blunt force trauma.

First of all thanks to all the feedback. I am relatively new to double guns and I am even newer to LC Smiths. This gun is a 1987 field grade that I came by for 325 including a really nice leather mutton leg gun case. I happened to see it just as it was listed on GB and it had a buy in now of 325.

I had been looking for a real nice and cheap learning project and there was just too much that looked like it was worth taking a chance on so I jumped on it.

When I got it I was more than pleasantly surprised. The barrels look untouched, rang true and if it has a pit or two it is arguable. The stock was un-cracked and sound. The lock up is vault tight and smooth as silk. Not a spec of pitting on the other metal.

Here is the receiver sans the son of a bushing. The left bushing came out easy enough.

Couple other pics

The deceased offender

I took the advice of trying to rotate it with a punch. I had not taken the Zep to it though. The punch did nothing but mar the bushing. I feel pretty good about my self in that I gave it the requisite patience(this is against my nature but a moral victory all in of itself). At this Point I said damn it all and got back in touch with my cave man side and went in head long.

I crafted a small chisel and started digging around the firing pin keeping a margin of metal surrounding the receiver threads. After I dug a little crater around the pin I pushed the pin toward the breach face and then took a chain saw sharpening stone and ground the FP protrusion flush down to the bottom of my crater. This allowed me to retract the pin recessing it about 3/32" into the bushing. I now had a section of bushing that did not have any pin in it and then using the this void section of bushing hole as a guide I drilled in the hole with 3 progressively larger bits still keep a margin of metal around the receiver threads. It took me 4 rounds to get through to the backside of the bushing which then allowed the pin to fall out.

Back to the chisel and once I relieved a little metal at the top of the hole all the way back to the receiver I then used a punch to drive the busking out rotationally.

Maybe luck but victory at last.

No threads were harmed and I have a new set of bushings on the way.

I am learning a lot and no high grade guns are being monkeyed with.

Thanks for letting me share

Last edited by Travis S; 10/15/18 07:52 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Travis, good job. Patience is a virtue.
When you get the new bushings just put some masking tape over the face of the receiver and carefully file them. I doubt that you will get them in "time" like they came from the factory, but not a big deal.

Did you find a spring for the safety arm? Maybe this picture will help. If you have a hardware store or Lowes or Home Depot you might be able to match up the turns to get the right tension, and cut to length.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good advice about the safety spring. Glad you were able to get the bushing out. If you do want to time the new bushings, use a small file with a safe edge to protest the threads and file material off the ledge on the back of the bushing.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I actually have the spring. I just forgot to put it back on when I put the trigger plate back on.

I will try to adjust the timing for kicks and giggles.

Many thanks

Boxlock
Boxlock

I've used this technique successfully in cars that had oxidized aluminum to steel connections: heat with a small torch and melt beeswax into the heated joint. On cars the oxidized aluminum is like concrete and nothing separates it, but the beeswax trick!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark- I think maybe you mean: "To Protect the threads" not "Protest"-- When Hunter Arms dropped the bushed firing pin design about 1913-- what a great cost reduction that must have been- RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.