April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (PALUNC, Richard Saloom, 1 invisible), 234 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,459
Posts544,979
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

"Second-Best," is good enough in most things we do.
Just ask the guy who's fourth or fifth!

Sidelock
Sidelock

What the hell is wrong with you Lowell?

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

There is a great deal of difference in the quality and the variety of action types made by Birmingham, provincialmakers and less famous Londoners.

However, once we get into the 20th century a good deal more homogeneity crept-in and Anson & Deeley boxlocks and Rogers' action sidelocks proliferated (among Birmingham makers like Webley, provncial ones like Horsley and Armstrong and even London makers - I have seen a 28-bore sidelock by Robertson of Boss built on a Rogers sidelock action.

Finish, woodwork and furniture varied a good deal and affected the eventual price of the weapon and its desirability today.

Second quality guns are often a good idea - many are built as well as 'best' guns but lack the full-coverage engraving and pretty wood.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
What the hell is wrong with you Lowell?

Could it be typing under the influence.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I concur with the British chap, if indeed his location is London, England. But according to sources, since the formation fo the "Worshipful Company of Gunmakers"(later Gunmakers Company), the London makers considered themselves as the chosen ones. As if the heavens opened up and a light illuminated their shops. After the Birmingham proofhouse was established, the "Gunmakers Company" looked down their noses at the arms that were crafted in Birmingham. As far as quality, there's not a better double than a Charles Daly Lindner A&D boxlock and I would not consider it second rate. I wouldn't begin to say that a boxlock is superior to a sidelock or vice versa. But they are truly different beasts with different innate problems. If you are looking for quality here in the U.S. of A., look at Galazan's fine products from the RBL to the top of the line double.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gentlemen the upshot is, if the London made 1st tier Sle gun is not correct in all the important original ways, there are better ideas to be had.
Is a wealthy man's gun, still a wealthy man's gun if not all there?
Move to the next level of London made sidelocks, where you might find them in all one piece and for a little less cash also.
The all original high condition Henry Atkin gun of today, is a better gun than say, a cobbler's Purdey.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The "Holy Grail" is the "Holy Trinity" of London. I mean, Holland & Holland and Purdey are household names. Why do you suppose I'm looking at 20K gun for the blind this fall. The truth is it's to leap over Winchester, Beretta,....... boys.
S..., they don't know what Greener, Tolley, Cashmore, Bland,.....are. If I took one of those in they woud say "we didn't know they made shotguns in Alabama USA"!

Sidelock
Sidelock

With that, I know Purdey makes clothing and they very well may make shoes that can be acquired.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

One of many antidotes to insular smack!!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What 'tis it old man Rabbit!
I see all the furred animals and feathered birds of the green meadows tales.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.