May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (Brian, skeettx, rocky mtn bill, Marks_21, Roundsworth, Jtplumb), 255 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,494
Posts545,337
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eeb
Its becoming a rich mans activity.

This is true and it will be the death of hunting for sure. It has already started that way.

But your first license, at $12 was a resident license, I'd wager and the value of those $12 in today's money is, hmmm, abit more than $12. In state licenses everywhere I have looked, have not kept even close to the cost of inflation. Meanwhile, the state agencies are being systematically defunded and forced to depend more and more on excise tax returns from the feds and license monies. Since in state licenses cannot be increased easily due to political liability, that leaves out of state tags to go sky high. If you think that's bad for birds, try big game out west.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

(1) Mallards from interbreeding are taking over from blacks in my region.

(2 Ducks and geese are plentiful, and it's bad form to take a limit, which we can any day within 2km from home. Four of us called time today when we had six.

(3) When the guys I shoot with observe lowering population of any species, we don't shoot them regardless of what regulations allow.

(4) Waterfowling around here is not a rich man's activity, way less expensive than golf, curling and chasing women.

Sidelock
Sidelock

One fact is for sure: migratory bird numbers in N. America are at an all time high:

1. I hear say the birds aren't in the Atlantic flyway so harvests reduced. Why is that?
2. 50 bird limits per day on white geese in W. Canada
2. The birds didn't make it that far south this year (heard it from my hunter clients from the USA many times over. That is a factor of many things but climate mostly)
3. The migratory route shifts (that is my comment because even in Alberta it shifts up to 400 miles east to west depending on feed, water, snow/freeze up line.
4. Higher license costs have no impact on hunting except for the whiners
5. In my country it is bad form not to take a limit (King Brown not sure what world of ethics you live in)
6 Yesterday I had all the birds in Calgary drop in on me in 30 minutes. Two of us shot our limit in 15 minutes. Not rubbing it in but birds here are plentiful even when the local areas are frozen.
7. As King Brown said hunting in Canada is cheap to hunt. Lots of land, small populations, rural people who live simply and a law that incriminates paying for access. God bless those who saw it fit to install that law in Canada.

What is my point? Hearing too may whiners who don't know what resources they have that others don't. Alberta was THE place to go in the 1920's for upland birds and even into to 1970's Then the Gov't dramatically reduced the number of released pheasants and southern Alberta went to hell. Small town bars and motels shut down because they were dependant on the 'no vacancy' for hunting season. Interestingly the Govt of Alberta has decided that pheasants have an economic value and over the last few years have increased the release number and increased the seasons by 2 months in most regions. But farming practises have decimated the other wild bird populations to the point many areas are shut down to upland birds. (that comment is pertaining mostly to sharp tail and greater prairie chicken)

I hear Stan and others talking up the hunting on doves and quail. I would love to live in an area that had those populations and opportunity. We have doves here but no season. Quail non existent.

Bless what you have and pray for what you don't. But whiners have no place in my world.

Last edited by Tamid; 11/16/18 12:18 AM.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I should have thought to do this upon starting this thread, but I went back into my trash bin and found the email. Here is the introduction to it.

"The Atlantic Flyway is in the process of developing a new harvest strategy for mallards. As many of you already know, the bag limit for mallards in the Flyway is being reduced from 4 to 2 starting in the 2019-20 hunting season. We will likely not be able to move away from a 2-bird bag limit until a new harvest strategy is developed. Biologists have already begun working on this important issue and as we craft a new strategy, the attitudes and desires of our constituency, you the hunter, are critical. Your desires for harvest and for how many birds you encounter on the landscape will be integral in how we set our seasons into the future for mallards, and more importantly, as we try to improve the hunting experience in our respective states.

Please take the time to give this survey your full attention. The results of this survey will assist us in developing a regulatory process that will provide the maximum amount of opportunity, while still insuring the long-term health of our treasured waterfowl resource."

Georgia - https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/4644908/AF-mall-GA

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD

This is true and it will be the death of hunting for sure. It has already started that way.

But your first license, at $12 was a resident license, I'd wager and the value of those $12 in today's money is, hmmm, abit more than $12. In state licenses everywhere I have looked, have not kept even close to the cost of inflation. Meanwhile, the state agencies are being systematically defunded and forced to depend more and more on excise tax returns from the feds and license monies. Since in state licenses cannot be increased easily due to political liability, that leaves out of state tags to go sky high. If you think that's bad for birds, try big game out west.

This is a croc. As Tamid says, it's just more whining. Rich man's game ........... pshaw! I regularly drive 1200 miles to Arkansas and back to hunt ducks for 4-5 days at the trip. I do the whole trip for between $400 and $500, licenses, fuel and shells. You could bump that up to about $750 if I used the going rate for mileage costs of $.535/mile. I don't count food because I'd be eating if I stayed home. And actually I could knock some off the mileage costs because I'd be putting miles on the truck if I stayed home, too.

In one sense any sport hunting is a rich man's game, compared to the income level of much of the world. But, I don't think that's how the comment was meant. Flying to England or Spain to shoot driven birds is a rich man's game. Going to Africa to hunt any of the Big Five is a rich man's game. Not that it's for everyone, but you can still shoot high volume doves in Cordoba for four full days for under $6K, if you plan and do it right, with a group. It costs more than that to plant one 30 acre field of sunflowers for doves here, and you might not get but one good shoot out of it.

This is all just complaining to be complaining, IMO. Those who want to hunt badly enough can find a way without taking out a mortgage to fund it.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith
I haven't hunted waterfowl for years because I don't really care to eat ducks or geese. But the politics behind hunting is very important to me. And it seems to me that those of you who do hunt waterfowl should be asking yourselves some questions here.

The number of active waterfowl hunters in the U.S. has dropped by at least 50% since the early 1950's, and the percentage decline in waterfowl hunter numbers is even greater in Canada. And according to this study, as recently as 2015, the problem was an increasing number of ducks and a decreasing number of hunters:

https://deltawaterfowl.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/LoomingCrisis.pdf

You all were fed the line of crap that License price increases over the years would make things better. Then we also had the promise or Big Lie that going to lead-free ammunition would reduce the population declines that were occurring in the 1960's. And supposedly, going to that much more expensive and ballistically inferior shot did increase the populations.

Yet now you guys are being told something else again by the Fish and Game Biologists. I saw what my own State Game Commission did to ringneck pheasant and deer hunting through mismanagement. As someone already said, it seems that the decision has already been made, and this survey is just a formality so they can say a majority of you agreed with it.

I don't often agree with jOe, but in my opinion he's right on the money. Keith, I've worked extremely closely with Delta, particularly with Jim Fisher, on a couple of Delta initiatives that drastically affected the esthetics of my hunting property at Delta Marsh. And not in a good way. However, I don't regret it for a second as it was the right thing to do for the birds and the overall health of the marsh. We are already seeing the difference.

IMHO, Delta Waterfowl is so far ahead of DU (certainly in Canada) in being an effective and consistent voice for hunters. Science based and strong advocates for hunting and gun ownership. DU seems to have lost it's way in the last 20 years, pushing hunting to the back of the line.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Originally Posted By: BrentD

This is a croc. As Tamid says, it's just more whining. Rich man's game ........... pshaw! I regularly drive 1200 miles to Arkansas and back to hunt ducks for 4-5 days at the trip. I do the whole trip for between $400 and $500, licenses, fuel and shells. You could bump that up to about $750 if I used the going rate for mileage costs of $.535/mile. I don't count food because I'd be eating if I stayed home. And actually I could knock some off the mileage costs because I'd be putting miles on the truck if I stayed home, too.

In one sense any sport hunting is a rich man's game, compared to the income level of much of the world. But, I don't think that's how the comment was meant. Flying to England or Spain to shoot driven birds is a rich man's game. Going to Africa to hunt any of the Big Five is a rich man's game. Not that it's for everyone, but you can still shoot high volume doves in Cordoba for four full days for under $6K, if you plan and do it right, with a group. It costs more than that to plant one 30 acre field of sunflowers for doves here, and you might not get but one good shoot out of it.

This is all just complaining to be complaining, IMO. Those who want to hunt badly enough can find a way without taking out a mortgage to fund it.

SRH

Most duck hunters I know and have hunted with over the last 40 years are NOT rich men. They are passionate about the activity and make sacrifices in other areas to be able to engage in their love of waterfowl hunting. It is the overall, incessant regulatory burden and social admonishments that will be the end of hunting, not the cost.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith
Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper

I am in the Mississippi flyway. People are so accustomed to a 60 day season, and 6 birds, God help the USFWS when we get a bad spring and dry summer and have to go back to 30 days and 4 ducks.

So did we have a bad spring and a dry summer that is responsible for this proposed lower limit?

I checked the National Weather Service for data on precipitation for Pennsylvania and Ohio last week, because I can't recall wetter year. Spraying any herbicides or pesticides was a waste of time and money because we rarely got three consecutive dry days, even in the normally dry late summer period. Everyone is complaining how hard it was to do any roofing or painting outdoors. Several years ago, when we had drought conditions, it was blamed on Man-made Global Warming, and we were warned that this was our future. So are they telling us that Donald Trump fixed that problem? According to NWS data, my area is 200% to 300% above normal rainfall for the last 180 days. The map showed above normal precipitation for much of the country east of the Mississippi. So it wasn't my imagination.

I always see numerous flocks of ducks and geese on local lakes and rivers, including several flocks of mallards a few days ago. Geese are at pest levels, and I wish someone would exterminate them and give them to people who won't work in place of Food Stamps. I can't tell the difference between a migrating and non-migrating duck or goose until I see them still hanging around in mid-winter looking for open spots on icy lakes and ponds. But I wish I enjoyed eating them because there is no doubt in my mind that the populations are healthy in my area. My freezer would be full if we had near as many pheasants and ruffed grouse.

So what are the reasons behind this? Where is BrentD when we need someone to make up answers and denigrate us for asking valid questions?

Just an aside as per weather.

I'm not that far away from you here in Ontario. I'm just across the Lake from Rochester. We had an very dry spring and then NO rain from late June until about Aug 10. If you weren't watering your lawn, it was toast. A few little sloughs in the area dried up. A pair of nesting swans that come to one every year had to bugger off....I doubt any of the cygnets made it this year. No ducklings in them. The only waterfowl that seemed okay were the resident Canadas, marching their broods around town and stopping traffic as usual.

Sidelock
Sidelock

When I began duck hunting in the early '60s the duck limit was two. I've never taken two mallards in a day around here in my life. Duck stamps are $25 and I have a free old age GA license for everything else. Long as I can hobble down to the duck pond I'm still going to be after'em...Geo

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Duck hunting pressure is much reduced from what it was in my youth. One short creek had over 20 blinds on it, now only has four. Six of the eight duck hunting clubs are gone, consolidated down into two. Another portion is owned by the State and over half has no duck hunting activity on a regular basis. People no longer want to rent it for duck hunting. A few hunters will sneak in with blinds built on boats and try to shoot a few ducks. But what was a marsh with several thousand ducks harvested in it is lucky if they take 500.

There is just not the interest in duck hunting by the younger generations. As a boy half my friends were active duck hunters and I bet that has dropped down to one if thirty or fifty. They are more into deer hunting and turkey hunting. Plus trapping the marsh for muskrats has drastically diminished. Where I use to be able to rent my marsh out for a small fee I now almost have to beg people to trap it. Muskrats do a fair bit of damage if their population gets out of control. So people just are not out on the marsh anymore.

Years ago, when duck populations were much lower, there was some talk about having a season or two with no hunting, so populations could recover. They studied it and concluded that hunting had almost not impact on duck population. Nesting habitat and nesting success were the critical factors. So while reducing bag limits might seem like the real answer, if you have bad nesting success, like they site for the last several years, then ducks and geese will struggle to recover.

Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.