March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Little Creek, DaveB, gunmaker, bushveld, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 792 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#529663 11/26/18 01:29 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Is there are standard, or tradition, around what is blued and not, color cased and not, etc. for English boxlocks? I ask because I see some with blued top levers, but white top lever screws, trigger plates blued, and the action floor plates left white, and vice-versa. Additionally, when the trigger plate is blued, it's screw is not sometimes.

Color casing: would anyone have a good example of what factory new colors would have looked like on a typical mid-grade English boxlock? I'm not sure I'd like the look of one with new colors that looked more at home on a Parker, Fox, Elsie, etc.

I've got an $80 Charles Osborne BLNE basket case that I can't leave like it is, and wanted to get some guidance on the norms of English gun finishes.

Thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If it were my basket case I would be looking at any Charles Osborne BLNE models or any Osborne guns to see how those parts were finished.

Jack K

Last edited by Jack K; 11/26/18 02:36 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jack K
If it were my basket case I would be looking at any Charles Osborne BLNE models or any Osborne guns to see how those parts were finished.

Jack K

Have done so, which motivated the question. There's a variety of different finish choices. I was curious about the existence of a traditional standard.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nitre finish on top lever and lever screw. Also, nitre on floor plate and trigger plate and guard. Color case on action. Sear and hammer pins silver. The parts to be nitre finished are very highly polished.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Joe.

I'm still not picturing what the color casing of American guns would like on an English bloxlock. Seems to me like the colors would look to loud.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Do a search for Ray St. Ledger guns. Maybe you can find a few pics to see what proper English colors should look like when new. He was the recognized best in England at the restoration work of case hardening colors, before passing about four years go.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is another source fo some great information, with some good pics, about the British methods, specifically Robin Brown, of A.A. Brown & Sons.

http://www.doubleguncraft.com/uploads/PDFs/GunCraft_Book.pdf

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

For the Lefever I colored recently I made blocks and sleeves for the side plate and tang screws, to help prevent warping and such. Since the trigger plate is not color cases, how do folks brace the top tang, or is not at risk of warping? In this case, all I’m planning to color is the action, iron, and forend bits.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Top lever, trigger guard tang & screws, safety button, floor plate, would’ve been blacked. Modern high quality hot blue is what’s used now.

Case colored parts are trigger plate, frame (obviously), forend iron. Forend fastener. Pins & Screws

Polished parts, were usually triggers and internal bits.

Refinished Guns usually sport fire blued pins & screws, sometimes the trigger blades are fire blued or blacked. Sometimes floor plates were blacked after they’ve been polished and even trigger plates have been blacked. Different strokes for different folks...some shops had a style all their own.

Sidelock
Sidelock

All depends on the maker, so as a rule of thumb . Most English guns colour hardened the action , forend iron , trigger plate, breech pin, tailpipe ,triggers,forend diamond and pin ,side plates if fitted , Deeley catches , snap box , cocking dog pins .

Cover plates ,push rods top levers and pins guards and pins were normally blacked /blued .

BUT some blacked forend irons and trigger plates this being dependent on the type of safe work and whether the gun was ejector , snap boxes. Safe buttons could be either as could many pins .
No pins were left white originally and trends have changed as to what and is not done in renovation , what is brushed an what is blacked . This I feel is down to the individual and the specific gun .

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looking at the Brit BLEs that I own or have owned, the case color is pretty much gone. I think that traditionally on the better Brit BLEs the pins were nitre blued and the lever and bow were charcoal blued. The barrels, of course, were cold rust blued.

YMMV.

p.s.: Have a look at Dig Hadokee's "The British BOXLOCK Gun and Rifle" Lots of photos, but most of the guns shown have lost their case colors.

Last edited by Chukarman; 12/21/18 08:16 PM.

C Man
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.