March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (HalfaDouble, earlyriser, coosa, Marc Ret, Gunning Bird, Mills), 384 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
builder #532942 01/04/19 08:50 PM
builder Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, the weather has improved and I took it out today. I shot it well and it is now a keeper. I bought the lead tape and stuck it on the bottom rib. I forgot to weigh it but It probably weighed a total of 1 1/2 oz. It only moved the point of balance a half inch forward. It is still behind the hinge pin however it felt better and I enjoyed shooting it. I have not pulled the butt plate however I realized it has the spring activated roll up sling so I have a feeling I will have to live with the lead tape. I will pull it tomorrow to see but I have a feeling some black paint is as good as it is going to get. Thanks for your help.

So many guns, so little time!
builder #533026 01/05/19 08:31 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't sweat the paint, Milt. Pretty is as pretty does. It matters not how good a gun looks if you cannot shoot it well.

Way to go ..........SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
builder #533030 01/05/19 08:56 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Milt, Brownells used to sell a product to blacken solder, might check there or probably it was just a chemical that would turn lead black.

I learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what I learned the day before was wrong

builder #533051 01/05/19 10:35 PM
builder Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Stan. Its on the bottom anyway. I'll just shoot low birds.

And James, you are right and Amazon has it but it contains acid among other nasty things and I think at this point it does not really show that much. If I ever sell it, I will just take it off. It might work for the next shooter.

This has been an interesting experiment in weight distribution. Where is Rocketman?

Best to you all.

Milt

Last edited by builder; 01/05/19 10:37 PM.

builder #533927 01/15/19 04:53 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

An interesting video on Youtube of Nick Holt demonstrating Purdey's balanc laugh e and promoting a replica he has commissioned costing 250 ( $320??).
Seems expensive for a posh triangular wedge of wood. laugh laugh

builder #533930 01/15/19 06:42 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

What is actually meant by balance ? Yes we all know that the gun is "supposed to balance on the joint pin , but why ?

I think you have to consider so many points, length of stock , length of barrel , type of action .
Most modern O/U's with multi chokes seem barrel heavy , so weighting the stock to balance will make the gun very heavy .

Do you personally like the gun to be barrel heavy so that it "swings better " or may be slightly stock heavy so that the gun "prods"? for that quick instinctive point and pull shot .

I have always thought that a gun handles best when the weight seems to be between your hands when mounting , so that the for hand does not have to carry the gun .This point is not always the same as the accepted balance point so many talk of .

Just a personal though , disagree if you like but like so many things shotgun related , that have been accepted as "fact ", having no real basis in anything other than a theoretical ideal, often repeated by authors, so passing into gun lore .

builder #533932 01/15/19 07:17 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rocketman has got the skinny on shotgun handling characteristics better than anyone I've ever sat and talked with. The biggest revelation to me, years ago when Don explained it to me as he spun a little .410 S x S I had been given, was that overall weight is not nearly as important to handling as is where that weight is located in the gun.

If the majority of the mass is in the action, and it has short barrels, struck well off at the muzzles, and not very dense wood, it will move quicker between the hands. Or, have a low moment if inertia. OTOH, the little .410 he spun was quite eye opening, with it's 28", fairly thick barrels, longer than usual for a .410 buttstock, and alloy action, the weight is more "out on the ends", you might say. This makes it handle like a much heavier gun, and probably explains the reason it is so easy for me to shoot well. He actually said the "numbers" almost perfectly matched that of a nice English 12b game gun.

When the weight is on the "ends", an object responds slower to a change in it's motion, or lack of motion. When the weight is concentrated in the middle, or between the hands, it responds much quicker to that change of motion, or state. These guns we call "lively", or even "whippy".

My 31 1/2" Perazzi is stocked in fairly dense walnut. Even though it weighs 9 lbs. + it handles like a dream for me. The way it moves belies it's overall weight. No one that has ever shot it thinks it weighs as much as it does.

Just some of my thoughts too, gunman.

SRH

builder #534009 01/15/19 08:02 PM
builder Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This was a last ditch effort to keep the gun. I had been looking for a Manufrance ideal for a while and when this one came up I was thrilled, especially since it was a 20g. You usually see 12 and 16g guns. I was missing a lot of clay birds and once that happens you start looking for why. in this case you could feel it was front end light. After adding weight I was surprised how little the balance point moved but it did feel better in the hands. I was still disappointed expecting more of a shift. At the course I shot it well. All's well that ends well. I have enjoyed this discussion as I can see many have and I have learned a lot.

I think this gun does not have the weight between the hands but is unbalanced toward the rear. Whether the stock wood is too dense is a question for me but since it has the wind up sling built in it is probably not wise to mess with the stock. It works for me now and I am going to leave it the way it is.

I am not happy with the design of the safety for hunting so it will be a clays gun. I think it is too heavy for a 20g. for upland hunting anyway.

builder #534013 01/15/19 08:13 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Milt, it sounds as if you still have some issues with the gun that you are not really pleased with. Sometimes we find that what we think we want really doesn't work out as well as we had hoped it would. In a case like that it is important not to be hardheaded, but to move it on to someone else and continue to work towards that prefect gun. It's out there, I promise.

If I'm reading too much into your posts, I apologize.

SRH

builder #534022 01/15/19 09:21 PM
builder Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am enjoying the gun Stan however I don't think I will be competing with it. I will keep it as long as I enjoy shooting it and then like the Darne I owned I will move it along. Everyone has different body shape and technique and it may work for someone else very well. I am drawn, like many here, to what some may call odd guns. I have had a few, enjoyed them and moved on. Sometimes you don't shoot them well and sometimes the thrill wears off. It is all part of the fun.

I do have some "perfect" guns and they will be with me as long as I can shoot. My beat up F grade LeFever and my Fox CE come to mind.

I do appreciate your concern and I take your thoughts seriously.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.