April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (FlyChamps, Nelsons Custom, Hammergun, MattH, buckstix, 1 invisible), 203 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,442
Posts544,782
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
james-l Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

An example of a custom rifle that is 150+ years old, I've been the caretaker of this Rigby for a few years. Recently I decided to see if it was loaded and shootable, when I tried to use the ramrod I discovered it would not enter the barrel, the rod fits the thimbles securely and the brass tip looks like it belongs to the gun. The bore measures .425, the tip is .450. Could there be that much build up in the bore? I beveled the muzzle slightly in case there was a ding or something obstructing it. Whats the best way to go now?

I learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what I learned the day before was wrong

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I would use a 3/8" dowel to be sure it is unloaded. The ram rod may be a replacement. Doubt the bore has that much build up. A good cleaning and be sure the nipple is clear. Looks like a fun rifle.copper round balls in ca?

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

First thing I'd do is pull the nipple and blow air through the threaded hole to ensure there's nothing in the barrel. Once that is done and it's OK, I'd get another ramrod that fits it and use that instead.
Of course I;d clean it also before loading.
I own a bore scope, so I'd run my bore scope down the bore to look at the rifling also, and see what it looks like after cleaning.
Cheap endoscopes are all over Ebay for under $15 and hook to your computer. I paid $13 and have gotten great results with mine for the last couple years. Mine is a 5mm, so fits down even .22 caliber bores.

Sidelock
Sidelock

James,
Very nice rifle. If you can't get the nipple out you should use a small diameter rod like a .22 cal cleaning rod to check down the barrel. If the rifle has a patent breach plug a larger diameter rod will be short stopped at the muzzle end of the breach plug giving the appearance of being loaded. A small rod will drop down into the powder chamber and stop at the plug face.

I've recently been shooting two German percussions guns from the same time frame, one a Jaeger and the other a double cape gun and it is quite enjoyable.

Last edited by Dennis Daigger; 12/27/18 01:55 PM.

Dennis
Sidelock
Sidelock

James-I,

There's a good chance a serial number is stamped on the underside of the barrel (covered by the stock). If you (or someone experienced with such arms) can push
the wedge/key and free the barrel - I can most likely provide some historical information - if there is a serial number.

I'm assuming it's a hooked breech gun. If not, the tang screw would have to be removed.
Only someone with the proper fitting screw drivers (hollow ground) and knowledge should do that.

It has a late-1830s to early 1850s look.

The barrel finish is what Rigby called "pickled" - it's an acid etching process. You should be able to 'feel' the Damascus pattern of the barrel.

james-l Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Steve serial #8554, barrel and lower rib are etched.

Jim A.

I learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what I learned the day before was wrong

Sidelock
Sidelock

James-I

No.8554 was sold to C.W.H. Steward Esq. of Rocklands, Waterford on 14 July 1840.
It is listed as a Second best rifle with a maple stock. The barrel length is 26" and 32-bore.
The rifle cost 16/16/0 - and with the accessories he purchased (powder flask, bullet mould, etc. - the total price was 20/2/0.

james-l Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That is a bit strange, the barrel length on this gun is 36" and bore measures .42 ( maybe 32 bore is not bore diameter in inches?). I rechecked the serial and it is 8554

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.