April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Roundsworth, 1 invisible), 1,093 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,141
Members14,409
Most Online1,271
4 hours ago
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
SKB #532539 12/31/18 11:42 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SKB
Holy Cow....have you seen the new price of the rust blue solution? 56$ for four ounces! I already make my browning solution. Now time to start making my rust blue solution too.

I thought you farmed out your bluing...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Piper and SKB, I have used the Brownells Classic blue and it is very good and leaves a nice strong blue-black finish.

Last edited by Stallones; 12/31/18 12:14 PM.
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have used the Brownells myself. When it first came out it was very much like Pilkington's. It seems to have become much stronger in subsequent batches I have purchased. I agree that it gives a nice deep black. I like a pretty mild solution and short rust periods to achieve a high luster blue. I have a bunch of chemicals on hand and it is a good day to do an inventory and see what I might need to order to start mixing my own. The thing I like about mixing my own browning solution is that it is repeatable. It seems like every solution acts slightly differently and you have a bit of a learning curve with each one.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

I knew a gentleman some years ago who had a muzzle-loading rifle he had browned the barrel on. It had about as nice a job as I have seen & I saw quite a few at that point. I of course only had his word for it, but he said he hung it in his basement & when he would mow his yard or other yard work
& would get good & sweaty he would come in the basement & rub his hands up & down the barrel. When it got a good layer of rust he would card it off. When he got it to the color he wanted & had it evened out, he neutralized it & oiled it. Could not have asked for a better-looking brown.

I had an old set of junk twist barrels, don't recall the brand name on them, but browned them with the Laurel Mountain brown. When I got the desired depth of brown built up, I gave them one cycle through the boiling water tank.
I showeed them to a good number of reople & everyone of them said I could have passed them off as an original blue job that had "Muddied" over the years.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
SKB #532570 12/31/18 04:12 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve, For Browning I prefer the Ordnance 1841, which was John Bivins favorite

Sidelock
Sidelock

OOWER! Mercuric Chloride. A good constituent for rusting solutions if you want speed or live in an exceedingly dry atmosphere. Exceedingly toxic to us humans also cumulative in the body. Looking at the formula using Mercuric Chloride there is no Alcohol sometimes this can be listed as "Spirit of Nitre" rather than high percentage Alcohol in many formulas, because it gives the formula a rather nice Ethereal smell. The reason I am pointing this out is Mercuric Chloride does not freely dissolve in water. So if included in a water only formula it will just be an inactive sediment on the bottom of the bottle.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm going to mix up some C17, Swiss Black in the next couple of days. I have heard good things, I have everything on hand and no Mercuric Chloride. That stuff scares me.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
SKB #532607 12/31/18 08:56 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I thought this thread was about stock finish.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't be scared of Mercuric Chloride, it has been used for 150 years in browning solutions and other formulas. Just don't ingest it or come in contact with it , keep your hands off it and be careful. It is not volatile and you will not sniff it. Just treat it as a dangerous chemical that you should have no contact with. It is a very important ingredient in Browning solutions.
Solubility in Water
48 g/100 mL (100 °C)
Rx

Last edited by Stallones; 01/01/19 11:08 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

How to you properly dispose of anything containing Mercuric Chloride? Liquid and applicators, gloves, etc.?

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.