April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Karl Graebner, Mark Larson, gunmaker, Jtplumb, 2 invisible), 395 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,799
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was just wondering if anyone has an opinion as to whether they think there are currently any gun manufacturers out there who may be comparable to the dying Spanish gunmakers for artisanal hand craftsmanship and price point. I have personally viewed some of the Italian guns produced by F.A.I.R, Fausti, R.F.M., etc. at gun shows, but in my mind they still dont compare to the Spanish gunmakers like AyA and Ugartechea, unless of course you start to pay twice as much in cost.

I dont know, maybe its just my perception with all the CNC machining and laser engraving on new guns; it seems to diminish the craftsmanship.

Sidelock
Sidelock

FWIW-- I believe the late shotgun writer, Michael McIntosh, owned and shot an AYA 20 or perhaps it was a 28 gauge, as did the late grouse hunter, George B. Evans. The late Ernest Hemingway was fond of Spain, and also Spanish shotguns, and ordered several for his friends as gifts: Idaho rancher Bud Purdy, and biographer A.E. Hotchner, possibly others. I would glady accept one (or a matched pair) as a gift, yet today-- sidelock pls, DT, AE, much like a Purdey at a fraction of the cost--

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

In my view AYAs are fantastic for the price, for a bespoken gun. My number 1 was made to order, stock, engraving wood at no extra charge. Back in the day You could buy them directly from the factory at prices that were on most guns just a few hundred dollars. I have handled several Italian gun and own a little FAIR 702 o/u 28 gauge.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A handmade gun has a certain number of skilled file strokes. They cost.

The EU increased costs for those strokes.

Its one reason old AyAs are seen as a bargain by some.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I own both a British SLE by a fairly little known maker, S.A. Leonard, and an Arrieta 578, both purchased used. The Leonard is a far superior gun, although it cost me only a few hundred dollars more than the Arrieta. I also have owned a couple of British BLEs, one by Thomas Turner and the other by Westley Richards, and currently own an AyA 4/53. Again, I think the British guns better made and finished than their Spanish counterparts, although the Turner was less expensive than the AyA. Were I in the market today for a sxs I'd go used British before I bought new Spanish.

I've also looked extensively at the modern Italian sxs and find the ones in comparable price range to that of the Spanish sxs to be better engraved but not as lively or as svelte. They seem, at least to me, to be just a bit clunky. On the other hand, the highest grade ones are works of art, but the prices are a good deal higher than the comparable Spanish guns. The Turks are on their way, but probably won't reach the level of the best Spanish makers in my remaining couple of decades.

Boxlock
Boxlock

"I dont know, maybe its just my perception with all the CNC machining and laser engraving on new guns; it seems to diminish the craftsmanship."

I agree that the machining and laser engraving diminish the craftsmanship. The fact is that many/most shooters don't want to pay for handwork. We all understand that manufacturers have to build to a price point in order to pay their bills and stay in business. I'm fortunate in that I have the skill to pretty much make or restore anything I want (except engraving) and the shooters I shoot with all like what I do, but none of them want to pay for the handwork.

Sidelock
Sidelock

William Powell, William Evans and even Churchill are importing Spanish guns in with their name on them. I have owned many Spanish guns over the years and have even had some made especially for me. They are nice guns but you get what you pay for.
I presently have some English guns but my everyday shooter is a Garbi 101, 12 bore with long barrels.
I shoot it pretty good on clays and doves. But it does not have the feel of an English Best gun.

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

My preference would be British over Spanish in their respective golden ages. Decoration is not a premium to me. My 1913 entry-level A&N looks and feels as good as any Spanish lady. (I don't fondle guns, as many say they do here!)

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have owned the following; AyA 53, Grulla 209, W&C Scott, WJ Jeffery, Purdey, Gibbs hammer gun, AyA #2, Garbi 103 A, Arrieta 578, Arrieta 900 series special, B Rizzini BR550, J Dickson boxlock (a Scott action).
Even though the Purdey is from 1893 it is the by far the best, finished, balance, patterns, engraving.
The Jeffery had great engraving and was finished on the outside as a best gun but the lockwork was not up there with Purdey.
The Scott and Dickson were finished and balanced great with good engraving and stockwork.
The AyA, Grulla and Arrieta 578 are hard to beat for the money. Metal work including locks is excellent, wood fit not perfect but close.
The Garbi is a pigeon gun and excellent just not as good as the Purdey or the Arrieta 900 series special, which was ordered by the Pres of a company and has fit, finish and game scene engraving that is top shelf. This is a pair of guns and for the price would be impossible to duplicate.
Almost forgot the B Rizzini is a nice gun but trigger is not as good as any of the previous mentioned guns. The rolled on engraving lacks something. All of these guns except the Rizzini were bought second hand. I think Arrieta comes the closest to matching an English best

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PALUNC
William Powell, William Evans and even Churchill are importing Spanish guns in with their name on them.

I guess that is kind of my point, if the British gun firms are using the Spanish to build their sxs doubles, then is there anything out there that is comparable right now in this day and age. I see the likes of Churchill, William Powell and William Evans are using the Italian gunmakers for their O/U doubles. I would say the Italians make some very nice well built O/U shotguns.

Is Arrieta still in business? I thought they went bankrupt back in 2017. William Powell is still advertising Arrieta built sxs shotguns.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.