April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Der Ami, Jimmy W, PALUNC, btbell, 2 invisible), 285 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,459
Posts544,985
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
SXS 40 #533319 01/09/19 12:27 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was aware of the ghost ring aperture sight, keith. My use of the threaded ring for a Merit disc, or other aperture disc with a small hole, approximates that. But, it negates the sharpening of focus and extension of field that a very small aperture causes to occur. That was my point. And, I disagree about the distance from the eye. Too many years of shooting "peep sights" have proven this to me. It needs to be very near the eye to get the full benefit of visual sharpening. That gizmo on the top lever won't do it, IMO.

Ghost sights are a compromise, at best, and best used for hunting and quick shots.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan

Ghost sights are a compromise, at best, and best used for hunting and quick shots.

SRH

I do believe I said the ghost ring sight is best for hunting for use on running game or in lower light conditions. A very small target aperture may be totally useless under those conditions. This contraption the end of a top lever is even more of a compromise than a well designed ghost ring, but certainly could give more precise sighting than simply pointing a front bead when hunting at modest ranges with slugs or buckshot. It is an interesting variation, but I don't think it will ever put Lyman out of business. You are certainly correct that there is a point where an aperture becomes too large to provide a focusing of light rays.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

keith #533339 01/09/19 08:18 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would think it couldn't be much bigger...

Has everyone forgot the reason the peep sight works so well.
It has nothing to do with focus or visual sharpness on the aperture and everything to do with the eyes natural tendency to center something in a circle.

Stan I'm not sure why you're so dead set that this will not work when for years Winchesters lever actions had flip up peeps on the action tang two or three inches behind the hammer. No doubt who ever made this thought it worked.

SXS 40 #533344 01/09/19 08:48 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Has everyone forgot the reason the peep sight works so well.
It has nothing to do with focus or visual sharpness on the aperture and everything to do with the eyes natural tendency to center something in a circle.

Nope. That's only part of the reason. The visual acuity and the parallax free nature of it is the rest, and for aging eyes .........the main reason. Look through as set of irons with a notch and post and notice the blurriness of the front post. Then look through an aperture sight at the same size post on the same length barrel and you will readily see for yourself how much sharper the front sight is through the aperture. Rifle and pistol shooters have to maintain sharp focus on the front sight as the shot is triggered. That is the wing shooter's anathema. Do that with a shotgun on a bird and you will shoot behind it every time. And THAT is why I think it's useless on a shotgun. But then, maybe the gun was built for a tUrkey hunter, or someone else who shoots sitting game. Still a stupid idea to have it on a moveable part of the gun like the top lever.

Take time to read the explanation of how that works, in the article I linked to earlier in the thread. It's not that long, and it's well written.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

The reason the front sight is so much sharper is because that's the only part you focus on.

I don't use sights other than a bead on any shotgun....been there tried that nonsense.

You should live a little and take the aperture out of your peep sight and try the big hole.
I shot squirrels for years with a model 75 Winchester using the big hole.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chukarman
Originally a 'ball and shot' gun?

Stan did you miss the second post of this thread ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chukarman
Originally a 'ball and shot' gun?

Stan did you miss the second post of this thread ?

Nope. I don't put much stock in questions answering questions.

You should live a little and take the aperture out of your peep sight and try the big hole.
I shot squirrels for years with a model 75 Winchester using the big hole.

Did you miss this post of mine earlier in this thread?

Originally Posted By: Stan
I, like Miller, have screwed the "peep" disc out and used the threaded hole for an aperture in low light ......

Evidently.

SRH

SXS 40 #533471 01/10/19 10:39 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Maybe it's just a reminder to keep your head down on the stock.

SXS 40 #533543 01/10/19 06:38 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Any chance of a picture of the flats? It's possible that could throw some light on the subject. "non pour balle" or "not for ball" on the barrels would certainly clear the question up pretty quick I imagine. How is the gun choked?

Not to throw more questions into the mix, but could a ghost ring on the top lever be used with buck shot to any positive effect? I have a defense shotgun with a ghost ring for buck shot, but again it is not mounted on the lever (its a pump anyways) but on the receiver top.

SXS 40 #533869 01/14/19 02:13 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Probably one of the many gadgets used to help train people to keep a consistent hold with their gun. It wouldn't need to be as precise as a rifle peep sight but may help someone keep their head/eye in a position where they're looking in the same direction as the rib is running.
A bit like the clip on blinds or blanks used to make a person use one or other eye every time the put the gun to their shoulder.

Last edited by Nick. C; 01/14/19 02:14 PM.

Rust never sleeps !
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.