Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted,
I have an early 1980's Browning catalog that lists the Browning BSS as well as the BSS-Sidelock. The case that they show for the SxS's is listed as #2015. It is the basic brown vinyl fitted case that is configured for the SxS's. Your case is the more classic Browning one and much nicer.
Karl

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Karl,
Thanks. What are the barrel lengths on your guns? Been thinking a 20 would be the cats meow, but, I think that about a lot of guns.
You are correct, I am myopic with astigmatism. Since 8 years of age.
If you have them, put some pictures of your BSS sidelocks up. Love to see them

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted,
Both my 12 & 20 are 26" barreled, and they handle fine for me. I shoot the 12 better than anything I have, but I'm working hard on that 12 ga. Churchill to do the same.
Karl

The 12 ga.

the 12 top
20 bottom

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Quite nice, Karl.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein

I had an appointment with my retina surgeon today. He was astounded by my progress in healing at three months in, and told me unless I had a problem, we were all done. I was referred to as “The Golden Child” the day of my surgery, and was examined by three surgeons on every visit, all interested in my case, due to the fact that it happened to me at a comparatively young age, to a guy who took no medications, and had no health issues. My blood pressure was 116/67 today. They figured my healing would be rapid. Healing on an injury like this can be optional for people in their 80s.
He expects the process to take 3-6 more months, but, doubted the eye will have vision on par with where it was before. Horrific example of a detached retina. He told me to make an appointment with the optometrist for a new lens in my glasses, which I will hold off on until February. I can shoot as much as I want. I have been warned lattice exists in my right eye, and there is perhaps 10-20% chance of going through this again with that eye.
I told him I thought he was a hell of a man, and that I hoped never to see him again. He was OK with that.

Thanks again for all the good wishes. It means a lot to me.

Best,
Ted

So what they think caused it ?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

jOe,
I have a few risk factors that came together, to increase the chance it would happen. White male, over age 50, with a long history of myopia. People who are nearsighted have eyes that are not spherical, more football shaped, and a weaker retina attachment than is normal. While a retina CAN be detached by trauma, in a guy like me, it can happen in your sleep, for no other reason than protein accumulated in a spot, and started a tear in the gelatin that holds the retina in place.
It sucks , trust me.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I bet

HomelessjOe #533800 01/13/19 06:35 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted- and Joe- makes me think more about my "gunning hero' the late T. Nash Buckingham. He went through the agony of cataract surgery late in life, but kept on shooting, in spite of a change in eye dominance, etc. For those of here getting on in age (I am 77) having good clear vision is a gift from God. And we never know from day to day when we might encounter such problems as you are experiencing.

Best wishes for a good solid return to the shooting/bird hunting fields, Ted.

I appreciate your candor in sharing your situation with all your many friends here on this website. I can't even begin to fathom how it would be for me to try to shoot a shotgun from the left shoulder- maybe a rifle, although a BA would be a bit unwieldy, but to move, mount and shoot game awing from the "Southpaw" position at my age would indeed, be a challenge. RWTF

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 01/13/19 06:36 PM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

I play around, a little, shooting from the hip .........clays, doves. I absolutely believe I could learn to shoot better from the hip than I could my left shoulder.

I'm so thankful for good eyesight. At 67 I can still see the ridges and the direction of rotation of the targets on a bright day.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nicely said, RWTF, and I echo your sentiments, wishing Ted a New Year of clear sight and best target acquisition.

Regards, Tim

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.