April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (oskar, Wild Skies, battle, J.B.Patton, Hammergun, AGS), 180 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,433
Posts544,712
Members14,402
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Tim Carney #533883 01/14/19 05:29 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Tim Carney
Nicely said, RWTF, and I echo your sentiments, wishing Ted a New Year of clear sight and best target acquisition.

Regards, Tim

Thanks, Tim. Back at ya.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Scary does not begin to cover problems with the eyes. I have learned how to shoot from either side but to do it well requires good vision, binocular vision is best. Im sure Stan could learn how to shoot left handed but his problem is that he would not be satisfied unless he was nearly as good with it as he is now right handed. Im hoping Ted finishes fully healing and that no one on this board ever has a similar problem.

Being unable to see is one of my worst nightmares. Almost everything I do requires good vision. My work, my hobbies you name it. My Father lost 80% of vision on one side, along with all depth perception. It is as a cruel blow for him. One I hope to never experience. Keep those peepers in good health.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am, deep down in my core, a duck hunter. I love the wildness of ducks, I love big muddy swamps, and rivers, and creeks. I love retrievers, and I love big duck guns. I love to hear an old drake mallard circling the dekes because he's lonesome, and answering the hen calls we make with his "purring". But I realized about twenty years ago, one morning in a blind with the wind in my face and the ducks coming in from behind me, that it was the sound of their wings cutting the air that reached deeper into me than all the rest of it. I have made a request, to a few people who understand me, if I ever lose my eyesight but still have good health otherwise, that my son or my grandsons, or even a close friend will help me to the blind, without a gun ......................and let me listen. To the sound of the wind in their wings.

It haunts me the rest of the year.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ducks huh. Ringnecks dropping from half a mile high in the sky into my decoys make a sound like the tearing of paper. I love it but have not been able to hear it for years now. If I wear my hearing aids the wind on a good duck day makes too much racket. Oh, well it is a sound I will never forget.

Stan's post reminded me...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, I suspect that sound makes your heart speed up. It does mine. I love the sound of wings just before sunrise as ducks move about the marsh.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Geo, when in college we'd hunt ringnecks in a 110 acre "pond" on a buddy's farm midway between Clark's Hill and Lake Sinclair in middle Georgia. We felt that the birds were coming from either lake. The ringers would arrive well past legal shooting time and we'd always hear them before we'd see them. They'd look like dots in the sky when we would first hear them. Sporty birds over blocks. Gil

KY Jon #533958 01/15/19 11:22 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm still dealing with PVD issues in my dominant eye. It's a [censored] trying to see through the cloudiness in my dominant eye. Hasn't slowed me down though. Still sending rounds down range in my rifles, handguns and of course shotguns. Not going to let this thing beat me.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

I admire your persistence Ken. As I have always been told by many that are older and wiser than I, if you ever lay down you will not get back up. Hang in there. I hope there is some relief for you in the future?

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member
Stanton Hillis #533962 01/15/19 11:54 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan- the late Nash Buckingham could not have said it better- I think of how he prevailed in the duck hunting seasons with his cataract surgery, late in life-- I have been an ardent waterfowler for 65 years hand runnin'-- except a few seasons I missed due to my commitment to Uncle Sam of course-- and it's all about the sound and the other senses that calls us back, season after season--

All my old hunting partners are now gone from this earth-- and many 4 legged companions as well- But no morning with the sun opening up through the clouds in the Eastern horizon, the whisper of wings, the chatter of mallards, and the honking of geese, will also call me for as long as I can get out. At age 77, I still have 20/15 distance vision, possibly as Gen. Chuck Yeager does, and he is a tad over my age-- A gift from the good Lord-and I hope that you continue to have good health and vision for the years yet to come--

A world without shotguns-- as Gene Hill once wrote- for a title to a story- No marshes and leaky waders, no strings of calls, spilled boxes of shells on the blind floor- no early morning hearty breakfasts with strong black coffee at the Tunica caf- no Labradors tangling in the decoys while you watch from your layout boat on Saginaw Bay- Well, you get my drift-- RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Karl Graebner #533994 01/15/19 06:12 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Karl Graebner
Ted,
Both my 12 & 20 are 26" barreled, and they handle fine for me. I shoot the 12 better than anything I have, but I'm working hard on that 12 ga. Churchill to do the same.
Karl

Please, some info on the 12.
At sub 7 pounds (I'm guessing)
would you describe that beauty as well balanced and lively?

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.