April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Der Ami, SKB, Marks_21, Krag 1902, 1 invisible), 208 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,464
Posts545,053
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
I somewhat concur- I am still a member at large of DU-- do not belong to the Delta Waterfowl assn. But I see that Cabela's endorses them. The fabled Delta marsh area- Jimmie Robinson, Clark Gable, many others were invited guests in past eras to savor the fine water-fowling there-

I know of a few DU banquet attendees that have never hunted duck or goose- they go for the social atmosphere, and perhaps to win a gun in a raffle. But they have indeed, become a "Big $ operation"..

Francis, when I was growing up in the sixties, our next door neighbours, Telf and Edna Miller, had been the managers of Jimmy Robinson’s place during its heyday. The walls of their home were lined with photos of people they had hosted......Humphrey Bogart, Robert Stack and Clark Gable to name just a few.

Last edited by canvasback; 01/12/19 11:52 AM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Getting back to the subject line...

Any time you concentrate wildlife you risk spreading disease.

Goverment run refuges that are not hunted concentrate ducks and spread disease.

Open the government refuges to hunting and the duck populations will get better.

Plus refuges have changed the local natural flyways.

I completely agree with these points.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Pay attention....that reply was not to John.

Speaking of paying attention jOe, my comment was directed at your reply to BrentD. Good ideas shouldn’t be ignored because of who supports them.

I’ll do it again so you can follow.

Jon said something smart. Brent said Jon’s idea was a good one. You said “who gives a shit what you think, Brent”. I said “you should jOe, because Jon’s idea is a good one”.

Got it? Notice how stupid your subsequent posts now seem?

Sidelock
Sidelock

James, here on the Atlantic Flyway, I've hunted waterfowl for 75 years, living near sanctuaries on the Eastern and North Shores of the province. I'm looking at a harbour with a refuge as I write this.

I haven't seen concentrations in refuges where ducks and geese aren't flying to other parts of the harbour to farmers' fields or ponds and lakes. I'm not aware of disease reports.

Raw sewage was fouling the harbourI until I forced the town of Antigonish to build a sewage treatment plant by threatening legal action under health, municipal and water acts.

I'm not questioning what others are seeing, only what gunners are experiencing in our waterfowling paradise. (A string of 15-20 geese---no vee---just flew by my window, 15 metres above our mature pine and black spruce.)

Sidelock
Sidelock

King- we have mallards, a few mergansers and buffleheads, and Canada Geese galore here during the winter months-unless the river that borders our property freezes over- then they move South- We are also in the Atlantic flyway. There may be future concerns about outdated septic systems in a near-by subdivision, and some farm land run off's- but as there are no dairy farms nearby, manure run-off into the local watersheds is not of concern.

Nature as her own system of checks and balances, does she not? A cat-tail marsh is her idea of a filtration plant- has worked for years.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: King Brown
James, here on the Atlantic Flyway, I've hunted waterfowl for 75 years, living near sanctuaries on the Eastern and North Shores of the province. I'm looking at a harbour with a refuge as I write this.

I haven't seen concentrations in refuges where ducks and geese aren't flying to other parts of the harbour to farmers' fields or ponds and lakes. I'm not aware of disease reports.

Raw sewage was fouling the harbourI until I forced the town of Antigonish to build a sewage treatment plant by threatening legal action under health, municipal and water acts.

I'm not questioning what others are seeing, only what gunners are experiencing in our waterfowling paradise. (A string of 15-20 geese---no vee---just flew by my window, 15 metres above our mature pine and black spruce.)

King, my take on it (and why I echoed jOe's comments about refuges) is based on the idea that the problem doesn't start with the need for refuges....it starts with generalized loss of habitat. And the only way to counter that is to establish more duck friendly habitat everywhere that can be. And, as been found so clearly by both looking to our past and the current example in Africa, if you want to save a species that is suffering because of loss of habitat....get hunters involved, not government. Hunters will put up money endlessly when there are clear objectives that support their passion.

So government established refuges that bar hunting, bar the use of that resource from those most likely to support and care for that resource. Only in the minds of office bound government bureaucrats, with hidebound ideology, does that make sense.

Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Might as well chime in here with a letter recently sent to the head of DU about what has happened to wetlands, both public and private, throughout the Prairie Pothole Region. I'm sure wetlands in other flyways have suffered the same fate. No response from DU of which I have been a member for decades.

October 25, 2018
3962 89th Ave SE
Jamestown, ND 58401

Dale Hall, President Ducks Unlimited, Inc.
One Waterfowl Way
Memphis, Tennessee, USA 38120

Dear Dale,

“We’ve lost our shorelines” an old North Dakota duck hunter remarked to me about thirty years ago. Another, an airlines pilot, claimed there was “no better duck hunting than in those hard-bottomed pasture sloughs.” I agreed, having hunted ducks on the prairies since 1948 where as kids in western Minnesota, we also shot most of our ducks in pastures or hayfields along country roads and from boats in the deeper marshes. Most of those birds were locals. Now I can drive for hours in that area in midsummer and not see a brood of ducks or those of most other waterbirds. DU members well know that we, other conservation groups such as The Nature Conservancy, along with state and federal departments and agencies and even some individuals have spent a lot of money in the Prairie Pothole Region preserving and restoring wetlands and improving upland nesting habitats, yet brood production remains generally poor.

I’m like a lot of DU members that yearn to do some outdoor work to benefit our cause. We renew our memberships at annual banquets and auctions and get a chance to chat with fellow hunters about waterfowl and hunting, but, unlike our local wildlife clubs, member projects are almost unheard of, at least here in North Dakota, the heart of the U.S. portion of the Prairie Pothole Region. I would like to see DU change course a bit, by taking wetland management efforts down to the local level, and am convinced shoreline restorations would be the most beneficial projects for waterfowl and other waterbirds in the entire Region.

Why shorelines? Numbers of broods on privately-owned wetlands is often much higher, than on public waters, especially during wet years. Here in central North Dakota where I have lived for 55 years, I see most broods on private wetlands in cropfields, hayfields, and pastures, and far fewer on public land, especially seeded grasslands idled for soil conservation or wildlife production. I believe wetlands in pastures are the most productive and for good reason; they are located under conditions that most closely simulate the natural state of grasslands worldwide, ecosystems created and maintained by grazing animals and fire. These wetlands are meadows and marshes that stand alone as temporarily or seasonally flooded basins or border wetlands where water is usually present throughout the growing season.

Ecologists and botanists recognize many types of plant communities in forests, deserts, and seacoasts. These communities are relatively stable compared to those in continental climates like those of central North America. The migratory big game herds that once roamed the world’s grasslands were responding to these changes in search of food, much like breeding ducks that move to areas of the Prairie Pothole Region where water conditions are most favorable. Studies show that in this region, most ducks and other waterbirds feed in plant communities that develop in shallow sunlit waters along shorelines rather than in deeper areas or those shaded by tall vegetation. We often see this in cropland as well as grassland when basins with crop residue or even bare tilled soil flood after spring snowmelt or heavy summer rains. The main attractant for breeding birds is the invertebrate protein essential for egg production and food for their broods. Waterfowl biologists have long been aware of these habitat needs. For example, managers often clip or hay shoreline vegetation or raise water levels to inundate dry grasslands to simulate the natural conditions of grazed vegetation in shallow sunlit water.

Most of today’s hunters have never experienced the joy of bagging ducks, snipe, and rails while walking the cowpaths and shallow waters around grazed wetlands. These wet meadows and shallow marshes disappeared when the prairies were cultivated even if the basins remained undrained, the natural vegetation replaced by taller, usually introduced or hybrid plants such as cattail and and canarygrass. Willow and cottonwood germinated in many cultivated meadows and were lost for crop or hay production.

But what happened to the ducks? Hunters formed Save The Wetlands in Minnesota as farm equipment got bigger and shallow wetlands became nuisance areas, with drainage often assisted by government. I remember cleaning smelt for one of their banquets in Fergus Falls in the mid-1950's. I feel those efforts and those of DU were the beginning of the massive wetlands acquisition and easement program that has protected so many wetland basins in the Prairie Pothole Region. After this phase, emphasis began on habitat improvement. Here I believe the government agencies and DU overreacted to research that showed how attractive certain types of upland habitat are to breeding dabbling ducks. We did all we could to shade the ground. First we removed the cows and mowing machines off, then we seeded the recommended nesting cover mix, closed vehicular traffic with fences, erected our signs, and then our activities mostly ceased whle we watched most native wildlife associated with the wetlands in those protected areas disappear as the both the wetlands and seeded uplands were idled.

These wetlands, whether in discrete basins or bordering more permanent water bodies are now sorely in need management; burning and grazing are the most natural treatments and should be considered optimum when done in combination.

I believe prescribed burns should be the first step on most areas devoted to waterfowl production in the Region. Repeated burns may be required on long-idled basins where woody plants have become dominant. Burning also improves the height and density of plants in long-idled uplands, where thick layers of plant litter shade the soil. It is not a difficult task to burn many wetlands in the Region, as manmade firebreaks such as roads and cultivated land abound. This is where supervised DU volunteers could do a lot of beneficial work.

The ideal combination of a burn/graze rotation may be available in some areas of the Region where livestock raising is still important. Willing grazers may be found near the larger tracts of land devoted to waterfowl production. Large wetlands with a small amount of associated uplands could be converted to useful temporary pastures or added as units to existing pastures. Here DU volunteers could help build and maintain fences, gates, and cattle guards. The famous French marshes of the Camargue have for centuries been managed with prescribed burns and grazing by domestic animals and are now the only place in the country where some native birds still breed.

The Nature Conservancy and The Prairie Enthusiasts are two organizations that actively manage native prairie with fire and grazing. I am a member of both. In the Region, TNC in particular focuses on the aggressive use of prescribed fire on the thousands of acres it owns. The group has recently reached out to the North Dakota Grazing Lands Coalition, a relatively new group of farmers and ranchers devoted to holistic land management. I would like to see DU take a similar role while providing members a chance to actively work with the waterfowl we cherish.

Sincerely,

Hal Kantrud

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hal, IMHO a great letter. My fear is it is falling on deaf ears and the situation you describe eloquently illustrates my point from my previous post.

Which is that, while hunters are prepared to roll up their sleeves as well as get out their cheque books, the eco minded non hunters DU has decided to align themselves with are not so inclined.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Venerable old DU has taken a lot of hits in recent years. Still, when I visit Saskatchewan in the Fall I keep seeing all the DU projects just in the area I hunt. They've done a great deal for waterfowl and conservation in general over the years. I'll keep on keeping on supporting them...Geo

Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes. And with my membership came letters urging participation in in a new waterfowl forum. Poof! taken down quickly.

But back to mallard populations. Here is a recent one, and I at least got meaningful response. DU could do a bunch of these demonstration plots with chump change.

20 Nov. 2018
3962 89th Ave SE
Jamestown ND 58401

Dear District 6 Advisory Board members and attendees,

First, thanks to the North Dakota Game and Fish Department for the fine work you do for our natural resources.

I suggest we spend a bit more money on managing wetlands with prescribed fire. It’s been known for a long time that weather, especially fire from lightning and grazing by everything from insects to bison developed grasslands worldwide, but we seem to mostly ignore it around here. Peek out the car window and you will quickly see many sloughs that have turned into thick bands of old cattail, and in many places thick with willow and even cottonwood trees. The best grasses for livestock and hay that once grew in these places are gone, shaded out and smothered, mostly by hybrid cattail that swept across the state about fifty years ago. And as the native meadow and marsh plants disappeared the birds and mammals went with them.

There is a lot of public land, including State Game Management Areas in southeast North Dakota where these overgrown conditions exist. My thought is that if parts of them, perhaps with some adjacent upland grasslands, were burned, then eventually put on a rest, burn, graze rotation, they would make wonderful demonstration areas where landowners could see the results of wetland restoration with prescribed fire and possibly apply the techniques to their own wetlands to produce both economic and wildlife benefits.

Sincerely,

Harold Kantrud

Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.