April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Marks_21, 1 invisible), 195 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,045
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15
dal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe you king that duck hunters can be some of the most unethical of hunters, with deer hunters not far behind. I prefer to hunt my lakes and marshes without a dog as cripples can be much easier to dispatched from a boat. After a flurry of shooting the birds can also be more quickly retrieved by boat. But I think you and I shoot waterfowl in much different circumstances. I much more prefer to spend time with gentleman upland hunters myself.

Life is too short to have a 'hate on' for so many things or people. Isn't it?
eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Those are rather broad and priggish statements: being some of the most unethical hunters are duck hunters with deer hunters not too far behind. The biggest game hog I ever knew was one of your gentlemen bird hunters. Routinely shot birds over the limit.

dal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

let me clarify then...generaly speaking...in my experience....in my area of the world.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There's no legal way---or any way, to my mind---to penetrate a dense marsh should you know where the duck is hiding, certainly not by a set of oars. It's illegal to chase down a cripple under power.

My Labs have picked up broken-wings 400m from where they went down, almost always from places I hadn't imagined. An energetic broken-wing duck or goose can move faster than anyone in a marsh or field of corn.

As for picking up after a flurry of shooting, my Lab last week brought in five dead from the water and two cripples in blind retrieves from a nearby cornfield in less than seven or eight minutes. Try that in a boat.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: dal
I much more prefer to spend time with gentleman upland hunters myself.

As Ted would say, Jebuz.

We already knew dal, Mr fancy sheets, crystal glasses and queerbeer.

dal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Queer beer....i don't drink American beer...well only yuengling...every time I have the opportunity.

I definitely hunt in a different way/style then you guys king...not better...just different. All the best.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: King Brown

As for picking up after a flurry of shooting, my Lab last week brought in five dead from the water and two cripples in blind retrieves from a nearby cornfield in less than seven or eight minutes. Try that in a boat.

Actually not that hard at all. Although I have never tried to launch a boat in a cornfield.

Over my 50 years of hunting I have seen slobs with dogs and slobs without dogs, and have personally hunted extensively with and without dogs. A dog doesn't make an ethical hunter, and neither does the absence of one. It is solely dependent on the person holding the gun.

I have been around countless hunters with dogs who I wouldn't want to ever spend another day afield with again due to their (and their dogs) boorish and ill trained behavior. And I have hunted with men who could put any retriever to shame with how skilled they are at marking a downed bird in heavy cover and make a quick retrieve.

We do not need elitism in the hunting fraternity, and the dog vs no dog mantra is one of the oldest fallacies in the book and is based solely on ignorance.

“I left long before daylight, alone but not lonely.”~Gordon Macquarrie
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Flintfan
Originally Posted By: King Brown

Actually not that hard at all. Although I have never tried to launch a boat in a cornfield.

Over my 50 years of hunting I have seen slobs with dogs and slobs without dogs, and have personally hunted extensively with and without dogs. A dog doesn't make an ethical hunter, and neither does the absence of one. It is solely dependent on the person holding the gun.

I have been around countless hunters with dogs who I wouldn't want to ever spend another day afield with again due to their (and their dogs) boorish and ill trained behavior. And I have hunted with men who could put any retriever to shame with how skilled they are at marking a downed bird in heavy cover and make a quick retrieve.

We do not need elitism in the hunting fraternity, and the dog vs no dog mantra is one of the oldest fallacies in the book and is based solely on ignorance.

Well said, Flintfan. Very well said.

And yes, I have used a boat and motor in a flooded cornfield to shoot and retrieve ducks. And whats more, I have seen crippled ducks escape a swimming dog.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: dal
I believe you king that duck hunters can be some of the most unethical of hunters, with deer hunters not far behind. I prefer to hunt my lakes and marshes without a dog as cripples can be much easier to dispatched from a boat. After a flurry of shooting the birds can also be more quickly retrieved by boat. But I think you and I shoot waterfowl in much different circumstances. I much more prefer to spend time with gentleman upland hunters myself.

Tell us about your duck hunting circumstance Dal....were all eArs.

dal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

your a smart guy Joey....take your meds then read how king hunts....then imagine something different....more inline with flint.

Last edited by dal; 11/21/18 10:37 AM.

Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.