April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Ken Nelson, bushveld, SKB, 2 invisible), 459 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,103
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
#53504 08/23/07 09:53 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Found some good infro about Alkanet Root, but can't find documentation of the composition of Slacum oil? Guess we could send one of CC's fingers off for a qualitative chemical analysis!
http://www.naturalpigments.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=455-12S

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello, my name is Salopian, I first came here to AA (Alkanet Aficionado's)in 1958 when I cleaned my first Purdey and was told about Ernest Lawrence's mystery concoction.In the last 45 years or so I have tried to give up this addiction and have even tried 'designer drugs' such as polyurethane, but inevitably I have always returned to my Slacum addiction.Some years ago I was sentenced to penal servitude in Maranello, to look after Prancing Horses, where they tried to wean me off Slacum by diciplining me and subjecting me to the Birch wood Casey Tru-oil, but I got into a terrible mess.
After all these years I think I may have the secret to Slacum, but I don't want others to suffer as I have done.
Thank you for listening.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello, Salopian. You are not alone.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Salopian, I am more than willing to sacrifice my peace of mind and become addicted, but only to the good stuff with which you suffer. Any chance for sharing a fix? :-)

JC(AL)

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

My friend runs a local patisserie and has spent the last 30 years learning how to make really amazing cakes, which he sells- and people frequent his place to drink coffee and eat his cakes.

He refuses to tell the women who ask for his recipes what exactly goes into each cake or how to make it. He reasons that he wants people to come and buy his cakes, not stay at home and eat their own.

When Harry Lawrence was seen to have a better recipe for 'slacum' than the other stock finishes being used at Purdey, he refused to give-up his recipe but sold bottles of it to Purdey instead.

A lot of gunmakers follow this line - there have been a few recipes posted here before now but for a lot of gunmakers their recipe and their knowledge are their livelihood and they are reluctant to broadcast either to the masses and do themselves out of work.

Sidelock
Sidelock

smallbore..........i don't know what you have in your recipe of slackum, BUT I LIKE IT!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mine is no secret. I have posted it here before

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Small Bore
Mine is no secret. I have posted it here before

And here it is
Posted July 07, 2006 05:16 AM
Originally Posted By: Small Bore

The oil is sometimes known in the trade as 'slacum' and it is a mixture of a number of ingrdients, recipes vary a little but it is basically turpentine and linseed oil.

Here is one recipe if you want to make it yourself:

Boiled linseed oil – 16 oz
Spirits of turpentine – 2 oz
Carnauba wax – 200 gr
Venice turpentine - 2 teaspoonfuls
Mix together and heat until it simmers. Simmer for ten minutes then allow to cool.
Be careful it does not catch fire -!!!!

However, Napier produces a ready-mixed formula in a neat little box with all the odds and ends to get you started. These kits are available at gun shops and save a lot of mess and smell. I find the Napier bottled oil works very well if used properly.

First prepare the wood - as with any job, the preparation will govern the finished result, so go back to the bare wood, restore the shapes and angles if need be and raise or fill any dents or gouges.

Apply red-oil (turpentine & bolied linseed oil in which alkanet root has been steeped.

When the colour is right, it depends on the wood how many coats this will take.Apply two coats of finishing oil with the palm of the hand sparingly – it will be absorbed. Remove any excess gently with fine wire wool, buff with a lint-free cloth (not a woven one) and then leave for two days before you apply a clear grain-filler, allow it to dry thoroughly and then rub it gently with fine wire wool.

Now begin the finish – this must be built up gradually in VERY thin layers. Rub the finishing oil in with the palm; use half as much as the minimum you think necessary. Do not leave any sticky residue on the wood, rub the oil into the wood until you feel it get hot in your hand. Leave a day between each coat and expect the process to take four or five weeks before it is finished. The results are surprising and pleasing, making all that work worthwhile.

Don't be afraid to cut the finish back with a little oil on a pad of fine wire woolwhen necessary - even half way throuh the process. This will ensure that the finish is smooth and it flattens out any indents where the grain may show. You want the finish to be smooth, flat and even.

Unfortunately, I do not believe you can easily find Napier in the US. However you can find slacum oil as part of the Purdey Warthog kit: http://www.jeffsoutfitters.com/store.aspx?panel=3&productid=176&categoryid=1

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's a good one. You can substitute terebene driers for turpentine if you like.

I have experimented with boiling it all up together, adding the turpentine or terebene after boiling the other stuff up and reducing the quantities of other ingredients.

Also have tried halving the carnauba wax and adding pure beeswax to make up the difference.

There are a good few bottles of the stuff out there being used by people.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I too have used Small Bore's version and am likewise addicted. I now keep it safely locked away to prevent it from walking away from my bench.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.