March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Licensed to kill, bigblock, Der Ami, JDH, Jtplumb, 1 invisible), 361 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#536820 02/09/19 09:12 PM
PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I looked it up the other day, Michael passed away on February 17th, 2014. I've been e-mailing with a member of the forum who corresponded with
him since the early 80's. We thought it would be a good way of honoring him by remembering him. I hope that members will share their memories of
Michael, bring some favorite threats back to the top in his honor. Maybe on the 17th, we could individually honor him by doing something
like taking out a vintage rifle and shooting it, maybe posting some pictures here of rifles that he would have wanted to see, or raise a glass in his honor.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I can recall a thread where he offered a pretty extensive list of recommended reading. It prompted me to organize my books and renewed my interest expanding my own little reference library. I really appreciated it at the time and still do.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would like to turn my email correspondence with Michael into a paper scrapbook before some computer glitch loses them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I once bought a very special high wall from a friend now also deceased. I mentioned it to Michael on the phone and within a few days I received from him a copy of a letter describing its' being built for the president of Western Cartridge in the 40's. I later sold it To Mark Bennenson, also no longer among us.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

One of the best decisions I have made in 82 years was to take my wife to Alaska for our 50th anniversary. While she attended a big farmers market/craft bazaar about a block from our hotel on Sat afternoon, I was able to spend about 4 hours in Michael's famous 2 tier gun room. This was just a couple months after his surgery and he wasn't supposed to pick up things so he sat in the easy chair while I was able to look at and handle all the guns. We had been emailing and talking on the phone for some years before my visit and I sure learned a lot from him.

I sure miss him!
Dan

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is there someone here that can post photos of Michael's gunroom for me?

Joe

PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

PM sent

PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here are some pictures from Joe, first from the Memorial Service

PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

And from Michael's gun vault, these are really great high resolution pictures, I am impressed by how much I can blow up sections of the pictures and how much detail can be seen.

Thanks Joe

Sidelock
Sidelock

I thought I’d share my favorite story involving Michael. In my first year in Anchorage I bought a beautiful No.6-1/2 Rigby Ballard whose caliber was only marked as .40 Cal. I was more collector than shooter and actually posted here first looking for help to identify the caliber.

Michael responded asking me to call him. He invited me over to his house. I was excited to meet a fellow collector / shooter in a new town. When my wife asked me where I was going, I responded, “I met this guy online.” She looked at me and said, “maybe you want to try that again ...”. After laughing about it, I drove to Michael’s house.

Michael met me at the door. He was a BIG guy! He was very tall and had a big frame. He was on a call and invited me in and sat me at his kitchen table. When he finished the call, he invited me to see his gunroom. He opened the door to his garage and motioned for me to go first. I was a bit leery because there was nothing that suggested gunroom to me and he was right behind me.

Then he told me to open a door that was in the far corner and go in. Now, a normal person would have excused themselves and left fearing for their lives. I opened the door and walked into a shop room with some small machinery (e.g. lathe, mill, workbenches, etc) but still no gun-related anything. This was when I got scared and I honestly thought to myself, if I run out of here screaming now, will I be saving my own life by not winding up in some guy’s freezer (I’ve seen enough bad movies. I know how this could end.). Michael put his hand on my shoulder and I thought “oh no ... this is it.” He pushed past me with one concealed door left that opened to the room you see in the photos above.

I am so very happy I trusted Michael that afternoon and didn’t embarass myself by running out screaming. He was a great friend and mentor. He took the time to explain things to me and this room held many, many treasures. No matter what their value he was very proud of everything in this room.

I can still here him saying, “Now look ....”

Last edited by Joe Dobrzynski; 02/14/19 09:26 AM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.