March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 298 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

how bout ah palm o powder, followed by ah wad o wasp nest, followed by ah palm o shot, followed by ah wad o paper...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
2-piper Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have "Heard" that some old timers loaded their Long Rifles by placing the ball in the palm of their slightly cupped hand. They then poured powder until it covered the ball, & that was the charge.

In more modern times a former co-worker told about a man who loaded his shotshells & when asked how much powder he used, said about a teaspoon full, I don't know what kind of powder he was using.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Speaking of powder, the below clip has a discussion of waterfowlers in the UK using fine grained cannon powder from artillery rounds to load their guns. Featured in the discussion is a 10 ga. hammergun, an 8 and a 4 gauge muzzleloaders. The 4 gauge was a take no prisoners bushwack'em on the water or ground (covey of partridge) for the market. With the 4 gauge, the concept of lead was restricted to the pronunciation of "lead" rhyming with "ed" and not "bead". The 4 gauge was converted from a flintlock to percussion cap shotgun. Primitive for sure. Gil
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLVJo6CDGmM&t=1416s

Sidelock
Sidelock

I about gave up on ever seeing the sun again, and took a few quick photos of some of my vintage loading tools indoors in my basement. The flash was supplemented by a 500 watt quartz work light, so there are some shadows.

Those were taken with my cell phone camera. I couldn't upload some others including an old Belding & Mull Powder Measure that I took with a regular digital camera because I left the cable and my SD card reader at work.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

2-piper Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Nice group of tools there Keith.
Not positive, but none of those look "Jewish" to me grin

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Miller. It ain't easy being named the official DoubleGunShop anti-Semite. Actually, I always thought it was probably not a good idea for any Christian to hate Jews because Jesus was Jewish, and so were his Mom and earthly Dad. Sure glad I didn't post a picture of 30 pieces of silver. I'd get blamed for selling Him out too.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

These tools are really interesting. Did you guys collect entire sets at one time or did you have to find pieces individually?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ed good
how bout ah palm o powder, followed by ah wad o wasp nest, followed by ah palm o shot, followed by ah wad o paper...

Early in my muzzleloading career, I read that it was proved by chronograph that putting a wad of hornets nest material between the powder and the patched ball sealed the bore better and added almost 100 feet per second to muzzle velocity. That sounded good, so I began collecting every nice dormant hornets nest I found. The dormant part is important. I once hit one the size of a basketball in the summer with a brush hog, and learned my Ford 8-N tractor could not outrun them.

I used the stuff for years in my first flintlock, and I sure fired that gun a lot. Then I noticed a sharp and rapid drop off in what had been excellent accuracy. Ragged one hole groups at 65 yards became patterns. The first few shots on a clean barrel would be OK... not great, just OK, and then quickly open up. No matter what I tried, it only got worse. I lost confidence that I could even hit a deer in the heart at 50 yards or more. I compared the rifling with a much newer barrel of the same make, and mine was visibly worn. The bore and rifling looked good, but close examination showed it wasn't sharp.

Then I remembered that hornets use mud as part of their nest building material. Dried mud is abrasive. I was lapping my bore for years with every shot. Cutting the barrel shorter and recrowning didn't help much at all. The damage was done full length. I bought a new barrel. And I no longer used hornets nest under my patched ball.

Sidelock
Sidelock

jbrooster, I collected mine mostly one at a time at flea markets, gun shows, and swap meets. But there were a few occasions that I'd find several pieces together. I've got another box full somewhere in my basement that has about 8 or 10 more roll crimpers that are mostly smaller bore. There are also several more shot and powder dippers and a nice Berdan Primer decapper and capper. When I bought that 10 ga. roll crimper at an Auto Parts Swap Meet for a dollar last fall, my buddy who was with me had no idea what it was, and he has been a reloader for years. I'm sure I've missed out on some neat stuff because I didn't know what I was looking at too.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Keith, that's a nice variety of tools. For those not familiar, the flared tubes doubled as a funnel for shot and powder and held paper shells to stiffen them preventing collapse when pressure was exerted on the wads to properly seat them with the two wooden devices pictured as well. From 60-70 lbs. hand pressure was often recommended to seat the wads against the powder.
What prevents the shell from spinning in the tool pictured in the second photo?
Gil

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.