April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jimmy W, Stanton Hillis, Sandlapper, Ted Schefelbein, Replacement, 1 invisible), 1,147 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,271
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

So, I've read of this, but what is the opinion of the group here on saturating the end grain of a stock head with very thin cyanoacrylate to strengthen it against cracking and splitting?

I assume oil soaked stock heads won't accept the cyano- as it should. But, if the wood appears to be dry enough to soak it up, should it do a good job?

And, how does this compare with epoxy bedding?

Thanks, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

It sounds like the stock head is sound and you're looking for a bit extra. Based on how it can stabilize a user wood knife handle, I would consider it to stabilize a good stock head. Strengthen, that I wouldn't hope for too much, but my confident suspicion is that quality thin cyanoacrylate will penetrate much farther than thin epoxy. I don't believe it will be much of a bedding help, but it might be an advantage in spots you don't want to alter the bedding. Only thoughts, good luck with it Stan.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just one thought comes to mind. "Dont fix it if it ain't broke".

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

It is a stable stock, craig, and a re-stock to be more accurate. I'm assembling a two barrel set on a Sterlingworth ejector to be used for all the really heavy 2 3/4" magnum loads I will shoot out of my S x Ss. The 32" set are NOS with heavy walls. My thought is that it can do no harm to saturate the end grain of that stock head with cyano to strengthen the grain against possible splits or cracks. But, I would like to hear from folks with experience using it to do so, or any other constructive thoughts.

Kinda goes against my religion to wait until something breaks before addressing it, damascus. I've made my living for 48 years, partially by doing preventative maintenance on my farm equipment, in order to forestall breakdowns. I assume you've partially, or fully, made yours repairing broken guns? Preventative maintenance kinda takes bread off your table, eh?

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 02/21/19 07:54 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with the preventative maintenance theory- 100%. I have used the same technique to "treat" the wood inletting on my sidelock L.C. Smiths (those that I am keeping- not any I bought as "parts" guns- or those I would re-sell "as is" later on. And I only shoot light loads in mine- even the 3" LONGRANGE,

Being a welder by trade, and working for area farms that in turn give me open permission to hunt and shoot on their property- I see many cases where preventative measures might have been worthwhile-- judged with the old 20/20 hindsight. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, I have used "crazy glue" same as the other stuff that I cannot pronounce, on L.C. Smith stocks and I believe it does help. The problem with glass bedding an L.C. Smith in my mind is that more wood has to be removed for the epoxy. It is thin enough as it is.

David

Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Thanks, David. I appreciate the reply.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've used it quite a bit. Just be sure to get the water thin formulation that will soak in and not form a surface film. I'm convinced it strengthens the wood and it will "find" cracks that you didn't know where there. I've also epoxy bedded the gun afterwards.

Those that don't disassemble their guns would be amazed how cracked up stocks can be internally. Not to mention rust and 100 years of gunk and debris on the mechanism. I know one guy, a collector of sorts, that will never open them up as long as they go bang. Shoots them dry and dirty. It makes me cringe. I'm with you Stan on preventative maintenance.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Definition.
If it ain't broke don't fix it means don't attempt to alter or improve something that is already working reasonably well. The idea is that often, the more something is fiddled with, the more likely it is that something will go wrong.
Stan, I have spent my whole working career servicing products from Coal Mines to Nuclear power stations with a number of Car Manufacturing Plants thrown in and not to mention numerous Chemical manufacturing plants to name drop but a few, over the last fifty plus years.
As you can see from the definition above it has nothing to do with preventative maintenance on which you seemed to have misused my statement “If it aint Broke don’t fix it” intentionally to fit your argument.
One of the largest disasters was caused by fiddling with something that was working fine until interfered with under the guise of improving and testing was the Nuclear reactor at Chernobyl.
Stan Have I missed something here you asked the question then argued with the answer. Here is another Saying for you to ponder over. “Please do not ask for my advice then have the nerve to tell me I am wrong”
I think we will have to agree to differ.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm more on Stan's side of the fence on this. I have welded stainless schedule pipe in coal fired power plants-- Not the hazard as per: 3 Mile Island, Chernobyl, and the movie "The China Syndrome"-- but I have seen cases of "fudged" weld X-rays-- each qualified weldor uses a code stamp usually related to his SS or payroll number-- so the X-ray lads can tell which one ran the passes being examined--

But welding is more than fabrication-- one good example comes to mind-- a Quarry or gravel pit-- Lincoln makes both a rod and a interflux core wire with heavy manganese-- code name is "Abrasoweld" if memory serves.

The life of scoops, blades, and other steel components used in such industries, and others- a backhoe shovel, or a clam-shell- can be extended a great deal by a build-up weld bead on the leading edge-- In my lexicon, that isn't broken, then fix-it welding, that is "preventative maintenance" in spades-

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 02/22/19 09:56 PM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.