May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Hammergun, 2 invisible), 256 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,537
Posts546,033
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

Maybe, but your living proof its better to be stupid and lucky than smart any day of the week.

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a young friend that's dad had lost his arm right below the elbow when he was a young...story was his dad had been rabbit hunting and reached in the back seat to retrieve his single barrel shotgun by the muzzle end....when he drug it out of the back seat the hammer caught on something and the gun went off and shot his lower arm.

A costly lesson in gun safety.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree, pulling the trigger on an empty chamber is redundant and calls into question the entire clearing process, but in Army logic, it is the final check. If the person clearing the weapon has a brain fart and doesn't do the sequence correctly, the pull of the trigger on a supposed empty weapon is the final means to guarantee that the weapon doesn't leave the clearing station loaded. You would think that grown ass men can accomplish a simple task such as this but alas, there are mere mortals who are incapable. Education and rank have no bearing.

People become complacent with guns the longer they are around them. the person who lowers a loaded firearm from a tree stand is a willing participant in the theory and practice of Darwinism.

The first rule of firearms safety is "all guns are loaded" . Not "treat all guns as if they are loaded". that immediately allows the brain to think it may be unloaded and you don't have to be as careful. By considering all guns loaded, you treat them as loaded firearms until such time that you can clear them and make them safe. even then you still keep your finger out of the trigger guard and keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Thanks for the explanation about pulling the trigger. I guess it makes sense in a military setting but perhaps should be abandoned in civilian life. I was taught to not pull the trigger unless I was shooting at something.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I concur, Colonel-- 100%. I saw a few close calls when I was in the USMC- MOS 2112-- armorer. Never assume a weapon is unloaded until you have checked it yourself-- Both my father and grandfather taught me this lesson at an early age.

You can also read in Robert Ruark's "The Old Man and The Boy"-- I don't remember the exact story line offhand- but when the boy told his Grandfather that he had unloaded his 20 bore double gun, but handed it to him closed, his mentor stepped outside the door, and pointed it towards the sky- and pulled the trigger- BLAM-- "What was that- mice?"' asked the Old Man--

Gun safety and gun handling manners are ingrained in some people, in others, not so much. I have seen my share of "close calls" on gun club shooting ranges, and I am sure you have as well.

And thank you for your service to our great Country. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
As an afterthought;
It is a possibility this gentleman in the treestand totally lowered the hammer, rather than placing it on half cock. NO hammer gun should have the hammer lowered on the cap or primer. It only takes a surprisingly light blow to ignite a primer in this situation, much less than enough to break the sear or notch.

This could very easily have occurred in lowering the gun should the hammer have struck a limb or such.

Much more likely the case I think. Much more.

Quote:
I once read an article by a gentleman who was otherwise extremely knowledgeable on muzzleloaders. He recommended when carrying a caplock rifle hunting to lower the hammer all the way down on the cap. His reason was that a blow to the hammer should the gun be dropped or something could break the half-cock mechanism & fire the gun, "WRONG", the blow required to break the half-cock is much more than required to fire the cap with the hammer resting on it.

I have known quite a few folks that believed this (note past tense). It was, I think, a particularly popular myth on the internet in the 1990s. I cured one person of this by just tapping his hammer with a stick. That was the end of that idea for him.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: nca225
Seems to me that the hunters safety course is designed for the lowest common denominator. Perhaps making the course more intelllectually engaging and and the test more difficult with more questions about real life safety situations. Probably would help if it wasnt one and done, but rather a retesting requirement every 5 years.

The most important thing I learned at my hunter safety class back in 1985 was how many nuts were gonna be running around the woods with guns when I was in them.

Guys came in full camo with large knives on their belts. Of course, this was the closest class to The Bronx

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: nca225
Seems to me that the hunters safety course is designed for the lowest common denominator. Perhaps making the course more intelllectually engaging and and the test more difficult with more questions about real life safety situations. Probably would help if it wasnt one and done, but rather a retesting requirement every 5 years.

yOu are a nut cAse.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Brian

do you know how often soldiers, marines, airmen , screwed that up? and no rank was immune.

I can only imagine....just after the Gulf war the railroad hired a lot of X military guys.

What I noticed about them was that most of them lacked the ability to think on their own....they could do what you told them but if they ran into an obstacle it was a no go.

I told more than one...."I'm sure glad you're out of the military and not protecting our country anymore as dumb as you are".

I did get kicked in the shin once for it....then he ran.

I guess I've been pretty lucky in life because if my railroad lantern thrown tomahawk style had struck home I'd be sitting in prison...no doubt he felt the wind on his ear.

I really think I meant to miss him.

Sidelock
Sidelock

More hero stories, eh, Frank? You are the biggest windbag I've ever seen. But keep the spotlight on yourself. Sometimes it is entertaining to watch a fool recreate himself over and over.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.