May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (LRF, Chantry), 313 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,538
Posts546,035
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

My post hit a little too close to home Freddy...

X military turned nutty professor dumber than box of rOcks

Check my reply it was not to you Freddy the Free Loading Brent nosleinad.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Frank, you are such a joke. There is no chance you will grow up someday, but you are, at least, entertaining to laugh at.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hopefully, that is behind us.

The closest I came to an incident of AD was when I was 17 and grouse hunting, alone, with my Moms Irish Setter, a show dog that would hunt. I was not paying attention to the hunt, and fooling with the trigger and right handed safety when a Grouse rocketed out of a tree. I had my left index finger in the guard, and while pulling up on the bird, attempted to reach the safety, which I did, but, my finger was most of the way through the guard, and I fired the gun too soon, well behind the bird. It taught me not to do that again, no part of your finger is as sensitive as the tip. Nobody else was along, and I dont think the shot was even close enough to scare the bird.

Quizzical look from the pooch, however. Funny how they are about a missed bird.

Ive been lucky, and, for the very most part, careful.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

My father went to Texas A&M. He was in The Corps and wore his Aggie ring till the day he died. The ring has an Eagle and Shield emblem on it.

I have those tattooed all over the back of my head. It was fine to carry a loaded gun, while hunting, on safe. All other times the gun was unloaded and treated as if it were loaded. Cover ANYTHING with that muzzle or fail to check a gun handed to you or picked up and, BAM! another tattoo. I

I've had two ADs. Both of them occurred upon taking a rifle off safe..... Never point a gun or allow it to point at anything you do not intend to shoot.

Fences? Unloaded, not broken open, or action open. Unloaded and laid on the ground on the opposite side of the fence. Then cross the fence.

We didn't hunt in trees but we did use tower stands. We carried the rifle slung while climbing up or down. There was no round in the chamber and the firing pin was down.

I have never raised or lowered a gun on a rope. Probably won't ever either.

As far as banning hammer guns or any other item or activity....

If it is private property, a private club, .... then it is those individuals who own, are responsible and liable for the property that get to make the rules. They can make any rule they like as long as it does not violate State or Federal laws.

If they say no hammer guns, ... then no hammer guns it is, regardless of what their reasons are or what anyone else thinks.

Alan

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: A R McDaniel Jr

If it is private property, a private club, .... then it is those individuals who own, are responsible and liable for the property that get to make the rules. They can make any rule they like as long as it does not violate State or Federal laws.

If they say no hammer guns, ... then no hammer guns it is, regardless of what their reasons are or what anyone else thinks.

Alan

I think the point Ted was making is that it is just stupid to ban a certain type of gun because some fool misused one in the past. You don't have to pull a gun into a tree stand on a rope to have an accidental discharge. All you need to do is slip or trip while carrying a cocked and loaded shotgun without intercepting sears.

But for all the talk about the wisdom or stupidity of banning this or that type of gun... how many gun owners still vote for Liberal Left Democrat politicians who wish to ban them all???

Now THAT is dumb!

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just 'cos you can don't mean you should.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbNgt8jh9io

Howzzat, lonesome?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan

Just cos' you can don't mean you should.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbNgt8jh9io

Howzzat, lonesome?

SRH

Too many notes. A+ for matching the song to the post though.

Ill raise you one Ry Cooder...

https://youtu.be/Ga6RAwIMxD4

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, I didn't say I liked it or that it should be that way. But, it's a slippery slope when you start banning things and even slippery when any group can start dictating what a person(s) decide to do with their private property. Personally, I have no issue with exposed hammer guns, hammerless guns or any kind of guns that can be used to legally hunt with.

I also own private property and I have rules for hunting there. There are some that may think that those rules are unreasonable. I had a friend once who had free run of the place. He asked if he could bring a friend. I told him that the current hunting pressure was maxed out and further, I did not know his friend and had a responsibility to my family not to place them in a position of liability. He took his friend anyway. Then they were two friends together with no place to hunt. Oh well. Now, I wouldn't want someone who viewed that as unreasonable to tell me I had to allow it because they thought it was stupid. We didn't hunt turkeys. We had some turkeys, by accident. It was not a sustainable flock. There was no running water, no high grass for nesting and no real food source. Don't shoot the Turkeys. Unreasonable? Why, it's Turkey season isn't it? So, I got rid of the cattle... unreasonable? Of course it was to the cattleman. The grass grew and I started see little Turkey teepees, killed wild hogs and varmintry on sight, and started a regimen of purely artificial feeding until the brush and acorns could take up the slack. Now we have Turkeys. They're a nuisance, feathers everywhere, all kinds of racket every morning and evening. Unreasonable? Unfair? Not to me, not to the Turkeys.

So, some folks up in MN experienced a personal tragedy. In all the years i've hunted, we have never had any dead people leave the hunting camp (or stay there). (Knocking furiously on my wooden desk!). So, I can only imagine that circumstance. And they decide, for whatever reasons, purely their own, that they don't want exposed hammer guns on the place. Unreasonable? Yeah! It Is! To most everyone but them.

So, there's the whole rest of MN and whole rest of the United States to hunt on besides their 1000 acres..... I'm not real sure I see what the problem is?

According to some They should not decide what goes on their personal property. The prevailing wisdom of the group should decide. My God boys, that sounds more Liberal Left than banning a certain kind of gun from your own property.

I gotta listen to this cute little song now.

Alan

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My point wasnt that they shouldnt do as they wished with the club rules and their property. My point was that I didnt believe the rule they created in response to that particular tragedy would trump what was, by most any standard, truly unsafe gun handling.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, I didn't say I liked it or that it should be that way. But, it's a slippery slope when you start banning things and even slippery when any group can start dictating what a person(s) decide to do with their private property....

I still don't think anyone is trying to dictate anything, except for the guy that thinks he can fix everything with another law or regulation. It seems this discussion was started to question the logic that's responsible for the decisions. And maybe, the logic that's coming out of the house right now in the name of safety.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.