April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 353 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,090
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

Okay, then we agree. Not allowing exposed hammer guns certainly won't cure stupid gun handling. I have always found exposed hammer to be one of the safer designs. A glance will tell you if it is ready. It is the safety. I have two Marlin rifles (an 1895 45/70 Guide Gun and a 1894 45 Colt) that "had" the push button safety, which I regard as un-safe. I remove the button safety on both of them and replaced it with that $18 plug. My Henrys don't have safeties or half cock, but the hammer will not fall to the firing pin without a full trigger pull. When hunting, they must be cocked prior to firing. The only two ADs I've had were with 98 Mauser sporters and Buehler safeties. Never even close with a hammer gun.

As we all know, ultimately any safety on a firearm is redundant (or should be). The main safety is between the ears of the person holding the gun.

I sure did like the poem earlier and I'm stealing it, blowing it up and it's going on the hunting camp wall, and copies to all my sons and nephews.

Some of the greatest gun safety lessons I've taught were upon skinning deer and hogs. I'd call the boys over as I gutted the animal. I told them, if there is a gun "accident", this is what the doctor is going to see when he's trying to save your life. But as you can see, it is too late for this deer. About that time the congealed blood, shredded lungs and heart spill out in a gush of blood and bone fragments.

Even a ten year old boy can understand that. To this day I still say every time they go out (and they are all grown men now), "Be careful, be sure to unload before you climb in or out of the stand".

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I've been carrying my soapbox around with me lately.

Alan

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well said, Alan.. When I was about 11- my Grandfather gave me a 20 gauge hammerless single-shot-- It was a Stevens-Savage M220 if memory serves-- had a top tang safety, like on his L.C. Smith 12 gauge, and the top lever would open towards either the right or left side of the top tang--

After I had shot the 20 gauge on clay targets, I graduated to barn pigeons. When I had centered a "Airborne Poopster" and the feathers were sifting down to the barnyard, he had me hand him my gun, broken open and with an empty chamber-and walk over and pick up the dead pigeon- blood all over the chest area, and he took it, mashed the pulp and blood and feathers into my hands and told me to "always remember what can happen whenever you pull the trigger--

That mess could be a bird dog's head, or my leg, or anything that you can't call back and have to do over differently"

He didn't allow me to wash off the blood and gore until we were ready to leave his friend's farm-- RWTF

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 03/04/19 01:08 PM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have many gun safety "pet peeves", too many to list. After all they took a lifetime to learn...

There are people who have approached me wanting to learn to shoot or hunt. After all the preliminary talk about everything except "The Gun", we finally get to that point.

I have enough representative examples to give anyone a good idea of what they are dealing with. I will take out a firearm, check it and explain the operation, never once shouldering it or aiming at anything. The first thing I do is show them and demonstrate how to make sure it is unloaded. I then ask if they would like to hold it. Of course they would, that's why they are here, but I still ask. I tell them to hold onto it and handle it with authority (which means don't drop my dang gun).

Invariably, they will take hold of it like it's a snake coiled to strike. I ask them to check the weapon (I call it a weapon at that point). The muzzle starts wiggling a little as they try to remember which button opens it up. I say "watch the muzzle" (reminding them of prior learning, or teaching anyway)... and that's the pet peeve. The hardest thing to over come is the brainwashing that has occurred in that they think guns are bad and that it can just go off at any second wiping out entire schoolyards. When the greater majority of people were taught gun safety early on in their lives they developed a healthy respect for firearms. A healthy respect as opposed to an irrational fear.

Then there's the guy who waits 60 years and decides he wants to get a pistol for self defense...... Blah, blah, blah.. finally get around to looking at the pistols. Have you ever held of shot a pistol before? Yes, once at my uncle's cousin's house on 4th of July... Okay, that doesn't count.... This is a blah, blah, and this is how you check to see if it's unloaded. They will take the handgun and hold it sideways in their hands looking at the side of it.... No, I said, check it. You just checked it. Oh, you trust me? What's the password to your bank account? Right, that's what I thought... Check it. How? Right watch one more time.. and then don't point it at the house, the TV, your leg, your fingers, down the street, or any of the other places you've been pointing it since I handed it to you. Old people are the worst, because they already know everything. I have actually suggested to some people that they NOT get a gun, simply because they are totally unsafe and likely never will be otherwise.

Soapbox away for the day.

Alan

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: A R McDaniel Jr
Old people are the worst, because they already know everything.

Alan

Sounds like a guy in Nova Scotia we all know and love.

Hi, King! Figured you’d get a kick oot of that quote.

Throw Millennials under the bus too.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Oh yeah, know what your saying Alan.
Had a family ask me to show mum through my various shotguns so that she could find one nice & light enough with little recoil & experience shooting it. Tall order right there.
She wants to shoot snakes around the farm house to protect the 4 small children.

Nice girl but a bit of an air head & there was no way I could figure how she could be taught gun handling that was going to make the snake situation any safer for the little kids.
A fear cranked up situation with the snake would throw all the safety learning out the window & bringing the gun in just doubles up the danger in the heat of the moment.

Obviously I backed away from this one.

Sidelock
Sidelock

What she needs to learn to use is a hoe.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

You can't teach a Millennial anything, at least not the Snowflake variety. I know some really sharp, conscientious young people who fall into the Millennial time frame. There are lots of them actually, it's just that the 5% that are really stupid get all the press.

Fathers can teach sons (or daughters) to shoot because fathers will chew their a$$es out when they do stuff wrong. That's as far as primary family level training should go. If there is and older person, who has not had any real experience with handguns, who wants to, all of a sudden start packing heat,... then someone else should teach them. They will regard that person as an expert more readily than someone they already consider to be their numbskull nephew.

My great grandmother owned several guns of several flavors, and knew how to use them. Her "go to" was a Mossberg 410 bolt action and she dispatched snakes and various sundry henhouse varmintry with equal expertise.

A woman can learn to use a shotgun properly, just like a man, IF they are brought up doing it.

The hair on the back of my neck was tingling when the discussion turned to a young woman and four small kids a shotgun and snakes. Likely the safest thing would be to be a snake around there.

Anyway, with the Great Depression/WWII ridden bunch I was raised by, wasting a cartridge on a snake was not done. That's what shovels and hoes were for.

Alan

Last edited by A R McDaniel Jr; 03/04/19 06:49 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan

SRH

That reminds me of a joke...

You are at the Black Miss America Pageant. There are 50 Contestants on the stage in the swim-suit competition. How do you know which one is the prostitute?

Answer: Easy... She is the one with the banner across her chest that reads "Idaho".

Now for a Public Service announcement that is somewhat on topic concerning real gun bans- Nancy Pelosi and the Democrat Gun Banners in Congress have passed HR 8 which would impose Universal Background Checks on law abiding citizens. The same anti-gun Liberal Left Democrats opposed Republican legislation that would have mandated contacting I.C.E. if Illegal Immigrants attempted to buy a gun, which is a felony.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20190301...-s42-and-hr1112

Take a few minutes to contact your U.S. Senators to tell them to Oppose H.R. 8, H.R. 1112, and S. 42! Send the message that we are not willing to give up our 2nd Amendment Rights while they permit Illegal Aliens to get away with committing felonies.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If by some miracle that piece of garbage makes it to and through committee and passes the Senate, I'm quite sure it will be vetoed in mid air above the President's desk.

But, I concur, All of our Senators need to hear from All of us that this nonsense has got to stop.

Alan

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith
Originally Posted By: Stan

SRH

That reminds me of a joke...

You are at the Black Miss America Pageant. There are 50 Contestants on the stage in the swim-suit competition. How do you know which one is the prostitute?

Answer: Easy... She is the one with the banner across her chest that reads "Idaho".

Now for a Public Service announcement that is somewhat on topic concerning real gun bans- Nancy Pelosi and the Democrat Gun Banners in Congress have passed HR 8 which would impose Universal Background Checks on law abiding citizens. The same anti-gun Liberal Left Democrats opposed Republican legislation that would have mandated contacting I.C.E. if Illegal Immigrants attempted to buy a gun, which is a felony.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20190301...-s42-and-hr1112

Take a few minutes to contact your U.S. Senators to tell them to Oppose H.R. 8, H.R. 1112, and S. 42! Send the message that we are not willing to give up our 2nd Amendment Rights while they permit Illegal Aliens to get away with committing felonies.

Oh, and I'm stealing the last part of your post and re-posting it on two other forums I frequent. I left out the part bout Idaho....

Alan

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.