March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (SKB, skeettx, LRF, Lawrence Kotchek, Karl Graebner, canvasback), 880 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#540414 03/09/19 11:54 AM
dogon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

There's a lot of knowledge here so I thought this would be a good place to ask this question. I've been wanting to try either Mark Lee's or Art's Belgian blue solutions on a set of Parker barrels.

Since both of them have similar application & boiling processes, which of the two would you use & why?

dogon #540433 03/09/19 02:06 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think Mark Lee works well, but can be frustrating if you dont have a way to heat the barrels evenly.

Cannot comment on the other solution; I use Laurel Mtn. Forge, and also steam instead of boiling to convert the rust.

Good luck. Its fun!

Last edited by B. Graham; 03/11/19 11:12 AM. Reason: Typos
dogon #540438 03/09/19 02:28 PM
dogon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just curious of what you mean by frustrating with un-even heat. What problems can be encountered if the heat isn't even?

Any & all helpful hint's & tip's will be appreciated.

Last edited by dogon; 03/09/19 02:29 PM.
dogon #540442 03/09/19 02:58 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Art's seems to have the Mercury BiChloride compound in it as did the orig Belgian Blue,,or at least the Art's Belg Blue did when it first came out and I tried it. I stop using it.

The merc will plate itself to any non-ferris metal you happen to have on the part. Usually not a problem. But if there happens to be any gold inlays, or brass inlay/sight ,,they'll come out 'silver' plated looking being tenaciously plated in mercury. It does not just wipe off.
On gold, silver or other precious metal inlays it has to be carefully polished off and any detail re-engraved generally.
A sight bead left in place can be polished back up a lot easier but it's still a pain.

The biggest drawback of Belgian Blue for me is that Mercury compound in the first place.
Yes it works great,,but the merc never goes away. It's in the carding dust and then in your shop, in your clothes, in you, ect.
Bad stuff. I spent way too many years using the older bluing solns with dangerous ingredients including this and am paying a price for it.
Stay away from it would be my advice.

I like MarkLee's for Express Rust blue. I warm the parts w/a propane torch. Don't get them so hot that the soln sizzles when applied. Just warm enough so it drys on contact as you brush or swab the soln up and down the bbl or part.

Too hot and the part can show some etching in that area. Not real bad generally,,but it does show in the final product if you are honest with yourself. Especially when trying to do a higher gloss polish rust blue. Those areas will be a slightly different shade of blue/black from the rest of the part because of the now difference in the metal finish underneath.

The orig way to Express Rust Blue was to put the part(s) in the boiling water tank and let them heat up that way.
They heat up evenly to just the temp of the water and no more. Take them out, shake dry and quickly apply the soln.
No hot spots to sizzle and pit,,but sometimes a cold spot or two on thin parts that you get to last. Reheat the problem part or area in the water or carefully warm them with the torch.

I use Laurel Mtn for Slow Rust Blue.
About as easy to control as it gets.

dogon #540447 03/09/19 03:52 PM
dogon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Kutter!!

dogon #540628 03/11/19 11:09 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: dogon
Just curious of what you mean by frustrating with un-even heat. What problems can be encountered if the heat isn't even?

The Mark Lee solution is intended to be applied to the barrels when they've been heated to a certain temp. If you've got an oven to uniformly heat the barrels, and can control the temp, the solution applies more consistently. I do not have an oven, so I have to resort to using a heat gun, which is difficult to get the a consistent heat along the entire length of the barrel. Not a deal breaker, but not as ideal as an oven of some sort.

dogon #540690 03/11/19 09:43 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

When using those types of solutions and a heat gun or torch, have found it useful to overheat slightly, then wait a minute for the temperature to equalize.
Chuck

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.