April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (gunmaker, LeFusil, Bob Blair, MattH, Karl Graebner, 1 invisible), 417 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,444
Posts544,807
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Normax Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Been captured by "NetFlix's Peaky Blinders" dealing with post WWl in Birmingham. I have or had most examples of the London and Scottish makers but nothing from the Birmingham trade. I'd like a tidy hammer with Damascus or a BLE scalloped with ejectors. I have Several W&C Scotts but really looking for a guild weapon. Any suggestion would be Great
Thanks
Norm

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like these Birmingham guns:

G & S Holloway.

BSA.

...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll second Geo, BSA's are sold guns, I'm a big fan! Thought WC Scott's were B'ham guns. There are a ton out there, but more than likely a "guild" is just a product of one of the well known manufacturers. There are some Midland's that might fit what you are looking for

Last edited by RARiddell; 03/14/19 08:32 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pretty much anything with an insignificant name on it probably has Birmingham origins. Here is my Leech branded, Holloway made SLE.

Or you could just get a Westley Richards?

Sidelock
Sidelock

My favorite hammer gun is a William Cashmore from B'ham. His hammers are set up perfectly. But it is blued steel, half-grip and extractors. For a 30" gun it swings extremely well and is an excellent pheasant gun. Not fancy however.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Normax Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks to all about Birmingham weapons. I just acquired a totally restored 28 bore W.H. Tisdall back action rebounding Hammergun.The exhibition timber to a leather pad and checkering done by the Stock Doctor out of Oregon. It comes with a Keith Kearcher refinished immaculate 28" Damascus barrels. Can not wait for dove and grouse season. If I knew how to post jpegs, I could post this beauty.

Norm

Last edited by Normax; 03/15/19 07:06 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tisdale could make a pretty good gun if asked. Usually it seems most were for the mid to lower part of the market. I have a single shot hammer 12 of his I really enjoy. Interesting that two of his sons emigrated to Canada and moved west. One stopped in Vancouver and later became mayor of that fine city. The other couldn’t resist the setting sun and boarded a steamer for New Zealand. He set himself up in the sporting goods business in Auckland and became the “Cabelas” of the island nation, dominating the industry. Only a few years ago the store closed so it had a very long tenure.

Tisdale gun’s were definitely products of the trade though he was a gun maker himself. I just don’t know what his specialty was. I believe he was on Whitehall Street, only a block away from St Mary’s Row.

W & C Scott or Webley and Scott made or had a hand in the making of the majority of Birmingham guns along with many carrying a London address. Of course there were a few others capable of making complete guns but Scott was the dominant force.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't disregard other English provincial guns which were probably made in Birmingham anyway. 12 bore box locks, especially non-ejectors, have never been cheaper here in England than they are at present. Youngsters are not entering into shooting like they were (too interested in their smart phones instead) and if they do start shooting they just want 20 bore Berretta over unders that they were taught with at shooting schools. If cost of import not too expensive it might be worth searching U.K. dealer web sites and seeing what can be done. Here is a dealer I have previously bought from who is honest and may be able to sort something. www.mgrguns.co.uk/ Lagopus…..

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a W. Lacey Brummie hammer gun with twist steel barrels that I bought on this board. When I got it, I had Jack Dockweiler do a strip and clean and fit a pad to lengthen LOP. When I picked it up from Jack, he told me it was one of the best-made guns he had ever worked on. I have found nothing online about Lacey, but I love the gun. These days I shoot it with 20ga 2-1/2" black powder shells in ChamberMates. Have also used Fiocchi 12ga Lite Trainers in 2-3/4" with good results. Fun gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't overlook an A&D Body Action wearing William Ford's name or similar w/ Ford's tubes.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.