April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (ChiefC, MattH, Lloyd3, Drew Hause, Ian Forrester, 1 invisible), 649 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,444
Posts544,814
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
FAB Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I have a great little 16ga. French SxS Shotgun That I would Like to know the maker & engraver -- as you can see it was a upper grade gun with fantastic engraving coping the art work of the Famous French Artists -- Ange - lohis Janet ( Janet Lange ) -- The engraving is marked -- J. lange -- It has -- 4 Palm - Breuil barrels ( french best barrels ) -- Thank You -- Rick

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sack full of Crossed Palms for sure. I wonder if the AB stamp on the tube & on the toplever is some A. Breuil? It has the V-C stop.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=484199&page=all

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

lovely little gon...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

There are several here who can help out..Larry, Ted, Bétail enlisé aka Wild Cattle (he's always swamped with work), and several others. I'll offer couple of comments which might help, (sorry if this seems simplistic but I sort of have to walk myself through this occasionally - there are experts here who read this stuff like Brail or Breuil).

Here is a line where we began to try to date late 19th Century, early 20th Century Saint Etienne shotguns:
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=484199

From that line your gun was made and proofed in Saint Etienne; it is post 1900 (proofed for PT) and post 1912 (chamber maked in mm rather than cm).

I would like to have some clarification on what is written in block "1" and block "2".
-- Normally block one would be some sort of advertisement/hype..."Canon sur quoi" or something but I can't read it. My Gerest Berthon had “Canon du Surete Garantie” “Double Express” in this position.
-- Block 2 is normally just "choke rectifie" which essentially means nothing but there is a name attached to this one that I can't read.

The barrels are originally proofed for two palms, not four. Also where is the Breuil name on the barrels? Here are two historic stamps used by Breuil:

Stamp used pre 1912 in the cm chamber era:

Stamp used post WWI:

Once this is addressed, we'll start looking for "AB" because that is who built the gun. It's on the barrel and the key.

The French seemed to have gotten into engraving the makers name onto the key...partially because of Verney Carron's patents and reputation. Here are some examples. (And the name "Helice" is generic and was never patented by VC)

========================================================================
Just as an example, here is a 1906 Didier-Drevet barrel on a 16 gauge Gerest Berthon which I marked up for my Daughter in law to whom I gave the gun:

1. Didier Drevet, barrel maker (Canonier St Etienne) and his marks.

2. Grand Prize 1900 (for Paris Universelle exposition) (Gerest won a gold medal there and I think this is for Gerest not DD. DD won a prize at Liege in 1905 and there is allegedly a mark on the gun to this effect.

3-4. Once again the Proof mark for Saint Etienne for PT powder.

5. This is the length of the chamber in centimeters i.e. “7 cm” or 2 3/4”..normally marked 70mm in every other place in Europe but Saint Etienne at the time… Saint Etienne switched from using mm in 1889 to cm then back to mm in 1912. The fact that this gun is chambered for 2 3/4” is unusual. Most French guns of the era until after WWII were chambered for 6.5 or 65mm i.e. 2 1/2” shells. See “Double Express” on both barrel and butt plate.

6. 17.0 = diameter of the bore in mm which is equal to 16 gauge in America/UK. 18.4mm is 12 gauge. 15.6 is 20 gauge,

7. The crossed palms with “St Etienne” is the Saint Etienne proof house mark. This gun has two palm marks, meaning it’s been “double proofed” for more powerful powder charges than normal. The old butt plate which was replaced had “?????? Express” stamped on it.

8. “Didier Eureka Canon Plume”: trademark of Didier Drevet. He invented a barrel which did not have a lower rib and thus was a lot lighter. Canon (barrel) plume (feather) is the idea.

9. “Non pour la balle” (not for ball). This means that the barrels had “chokes” and could not fire a straight slug bullet the size of the bore.

10. 7859: Gerest-Berthon serial number of the gun

11. “Canon du Surete Garantie” “Double Express”: Sort of an advertisement meaning “guaranteed good barrels.” The “double express” is interesting and unusual as mentioned above and is why it’s chambered for 7.0 cm length shells.

12 (white). 1906 . 11985: The date the barrel was made by Didier Drevet 1906 and DD’s barrel serial number. Saint Etienne guns are very hard to date. However, the fact that DD dated and serial numbered his barrels enabled me to sort of revolutionize the dating process….

=================================================================
I'll add that quite often on the bottom of a gun made in Saint Etienne you'll find the name of the retailer. On yours that has been replaced by the engraving: Here is the retailer of my daughter-in-law's Gerest Berthon:

=================================================================

And if push comes to shove, I'll figure out a way to post it onto www.Passionlachasse.Fr. Ive joined in a couple of times but can never seem to get a post to go through.

Last edited by Argo44; 03/15/19 07:10 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
FAB Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I'm out of the house today -- When I get home I will look the gun over and send the info -- Also -- As you could tell from my description I have little knowledge of French Shotguns - I came up with Breuil Barrels from the AB ?? -- Rick

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Argo44

....... (And the name "Helice" is generic and was never patented by VC).....

Argo44:

We are going to hold you to this????

Cheers,

Raimey
rs

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yep, Raimey...Larry will be on shortly and we'll go over the subject again. (FAB, we've had several discussions about "Helice" over the last three years...always good natured but fun too. Larry maintains "Helice" implies use of the VC patent top lever 4 lock system. I maintain it's just a word "Helical" which was made fashionable by VC and was copied by a lot of makers to give solidity to their wares - but has no particular practical meaning... And I'm always right. smile ....).

Your shotgun would be classified "Saint Etienne" or "Artisanal Stephanois" on the French version of "gun broker:
https://www.naturabuy.fr/Fusils-Juxtaposes-calibre-16-Saint-Etienne-critere-22351.html
https://www.naturabuy.fr/Fusils-Juxtaposes-calibre-16-Artisanal-Stephanois-critere-26321.html
"Stephanois" identifies the Saint-Etienne area on the upper Loire not far from Lyon. Most of the people posting their guns there would identify your type of gun as "Fusil juxtaposé ŕ platines calibre 16" although in fact it is "faux platines" or "contra platines" it not being a real side-lock.

I don't think your gun would be classed there as "high end" though the engraving is quite unusual. Go ahead and click on the link above if you'd like to see some examples for sale in France. If you need help understanding French gun terms, check this line out that we put together a couple of years ago: http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=480959

Last edited by Argo44; 03/16/19 08:36 AM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Argo44:

There's an additional AB in a rhombus on the opposite tube and the accompanying number looks to be the same so it might just be a serialized set of tubes or tubeset.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

FAB Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

OK -- Back home -- the bottom wordis hard to read on #1 -- DO - BLE FPREU/E -- #2 is SEYVE -- best I could do -- Rick

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.