May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (Marks_21, Hammergun, firemanstevec34, ClapperZapper, Borderbill, 1 invisible), 716 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,594
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yup. Had a chance to buy it at a King of Prussia Gun Show a couple of decades ago, but didn't want a 20-gauge No. 4E with such a short stock. Kinda wish I had.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause
I realize how entertaining the skunk squirt threads are, but ya' gotta try harder guys smile

Foster Sr. shot a 27" barrel 20 gauge DHE Parker SN 225905

And what's the deal with that Trojan with a BTFE??

I don't have an answer to this one either.

John Wayne in "McLINTOCK!". The film was shot at Old Tucson Studios, west of Tucson, and also at San Rafael Ranch near Patagonia https://www.nogalesinternational.com/the...e215a61d68.html
Territorial Governor Cuthbert H. Humphrey was not a historical character. The setting was probably Colorado (Mesa Verde and Denver are mentioned) which became a State in 1876. The Comanche were first sent to Fort Sill in 1875.

The pheasant hunting scene starts just past 1:16 and a good view of gun is at 1:18. It appears to be a hammer ejector with something inlayed into the right side of the stock, and a "White Line" pad? It has been suggested that the shells used are 1960s green Remingtons?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9wNbD7wJrQ

BTW: The first pheasant season opened in Oregon in 1892; not introduced into Kansas until 1906 and S. Dakota in 1908

Yup. Kinda like English Bob shooting pheasants off the train in "Unforgiven". Or, for that matter, Eastwood going from MO to WY in something like 4 days . . . by horse. I kept waiting for him to put his horse on a train.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
wonder what Teddy had against ejectors- this H&H and his High grade A.H. Fox 12 bore- both guns w/o ejectors? RWTF

I wonder too, not necessarily with the Fox, but more so with the H a& H rifle. I would think ejectors to be much appreciated on a dangerous game double rifle.

SRH

Given that double rifles are relatively close range weapons, I don't know that ejectors would enable one to get off 3rd or 4th shots at a charging lion, rhino, elephant etc if the first 2 didn't do the job.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Or even one step further on "Unforgiven" Big Whiskey 1881- the posse tells "Little Bill" Daggett- that the gen store won't give them any 30-30 shells "on credit"-- 13 years before the .30WCF round came onto the market- first smokelesspowder CF round, I believe.

At least Gene Hackman described the "common failing" of the 1847 Walker Colt when he compared it to "The best friend a man has all his life, so to speak. Great movie indeed- RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: David Williamson
I believe the eagle in photo A is a immature Bald Eagle.

Which photo? If you mean "photo A" that I posted, I agree that is looks like an immature bald or possibly a golden.

The image filename (which I got who knows where), says "condor" which doesn't seem correct to me. The head does not look like a vulture to me.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have couple of Bell's books, but don't remember him mentioning ejectors. Doesn't mean it's not in there, tho'. Been a long time since I read them. He killed a lot of elephants with a bolt action rifle as I recall. An ejector's "click" certainly is not as noisy as the sound of a bolt gun opening and closing.

I'd like to hear several PHs opinions on the subject. What I don't know about it would fill volumes.

SRH

Like Stan, I'm no expert on dangerous game guns. But the book "Bell of Africa" states that his preference was for rifles ranging from .256 to .318 caliber--for elephants! (Ruark might have said he wasn't using enough gun, but for Bell it seemed to do the job.) In India, Corbett used a bolt action of similar caliber on most of the tigers he shot, although he did have a double rifle that he used when in situations where he was expecting to have to make a quick shot at close range.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Holland & Holland - Quintessentially the classic British magazine rifle ... and professionals have relied
on this classic British magazine rifle since the early twentieth century.

NRA Life Member
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
wonder what Teddy had against ejectors- this H&H and his High grade A.H. Fox 12 bore- both guns w/o ejectors? RWTF

I wonder too, not necessarily with the Fox, but more so with the H a& H rifle. I would think ejectors to be much appreciated on a dangerous game double rifle.

SRH

Given that double rifles are relatively close range weapons, I don't know that ejectors would enable one to get off 3rd or 4th shots at a charging lion, rhino, elephant etc if the first 2 didn't do the job.

You may not know it, but several professional hunters, and clients who have hunted multiple countries in Africa, think differently than you. As for me, I have no personal experience, as I said earlier. Wouldn't you think that the closer the dangerous game is the more valuable two seconds saved in reloading to be?

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 03/17/19 08:26 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have heard it claimed that the noise of the ejectors would give away one's position following the confusion of the shooting, and thus aid the wounded whatever in killing the shooter.

Don't shoot me, I am only relaying an oft heard thread of logic. I'd be using ejectors if I could.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Foxy;
In 1894 Winchester introduced their model 1894 chambered in .38-55 & .32-40, both old Ballard black powder rounds. Their action was strong enough for Smokeless but their barrel steel was too soft. By 1895 they had acquired suitable Nickel Steel barrels & introduced first the. .30 WCF & later in the year the .25-35, both as Smokeless Powder rounds. The .30 WCF was I believe the First Smokeless Power rifle introduced as a Sporting Rifle. As a Military rifle, the .30-40 Krag had preceded it. Worldwide as I recall the very First rifle to be introduced using Smokeless was the French 8mm Lebel.

I once saw an episode of Gunsmoke which showed a calendar dated in the 1870s & Festus pulled a Winchester from his saddle scabbard which was either an 1892 or 1894.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.