May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (Momslefever, eightbore, mlaird37, AGS, MattH, 1 invisible), 344 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,580
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Sidelock
Sidelock

Think we can figure out what Gen. LeMay is shooting --

grin

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Originally Posted By: Stan

Given that double rifles are relatively close range weapons, I don't know that ejectors would enable one to get off 3rd or 4th shots at a charging lion, rhino, elephant etc if the first 2 didn't do the job.

You may not know it, but several professional hunters, and clients who have hunted multiple countries in Africa, think differently than you. As for me, I have no personal experience, as I said earlier. Wouldn't you think that the closer the dangerous game is the more valuable two seconds saved in reloading to be?

SRH

Well Stan, the information posted in this thread seems to indicate that there are opinions on either side of the ejector question. Having shot driven birds in Scotland on several occasions, I can certainly see their value in that situation. But then those birds aren't going to kill you. It's simply a question of being able to shoot at more of them than you would with extractors. But having watched people shoot double rifles, both in person and on films and videos, it's quite clear that you don't get off the first two shots as quickly with one of those as you can with a shotgun--mainly because of the recovery time from 1st shot to 2nd shot due to the significantly greater recoil of a "stopping rifle". And given that shots with double rifles will almost always be within 100 yards (more often less), it's not going to take a charging lion, buffalo, elephant etc all that long to cover the distance between you and the oncoming beast.

Personally, I think I'd rely more on the PH who's with me and whatever he's carrying if my 2 shots don't do the job. I'd focus my efforts on being able to get off two accurate shots as quickly as possible. But I remain open to being convinced that ejectors would provide much of an advantage over extractors.

Last edited by L. Brown; 03/18/19 08:05 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks-- didn't realize the Winchester 1894 was offered in those older BP calibers as well as the .30 WCF, and in aprox. 1903- the .32 Special.

Yes indeed, Hollywood has some interesting "gunning goofs". Val Kilmer as "Doc." Holliday with the double barrel "sawed-off" at the OK corral gunfight- fires 3 shots with it in rapid order w/0 ever breaking it open to reload-- Amazing indeed. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
Thanks-- didn't realize the Winchester 1894 was offered in those older BP calibers as well as the .30 WCF, and in aprox. 1903- the .32 Special.

Yes indeed, Hollywood has some interesting "gunning goofs". Val Kilmer as "Doc." Holliday with the double barrel "sawed-off" at the OK corral gunfight- fires 3 shots with it in rapid order w/0 ever breaking it open to reload-- Amazing indeed. RWTF

My brother has a 1894 SRC in .32 special that has been passed down from my father's maternal grandfather. He bought it new in 1903. Didn't know it was first year.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yep-Gen. LeMay and Gen. Arnold- USAAF both advocated skeet as good training in forward allowance shooting-and both shot M12's- Notice the tight fitting vest and the rh pocket "shell bulge" on LeMay- and that he is shooting from an apparent "pre-mounted" position-- RWTF

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have read on numerous occasions the .30-30 was introduced as a black powder cartridge, based solely on the name designation. This is however false. First Win did not name it the .30-30 but as Fox correctly said the .30WCF (Winchester Center Fire). The .38-55, .32-40, .30WCF, .25-35 & .32WS are all based on the same basic case. Had the .30-30 been a black powder cartridge its capacity would have been between the .32-40 & .38-55 so it would have been on the order of a .30-45 to .30-50.

There has been much controversy over the "Reason" for the .32 WS. Dave Scoville of "Rifle/Handloader magazine a few years back published a statement made by Winchester themselves at the time of its introduction.

They stated Flat Out that there were many people of the day who desired to be able to obtain higher power smokeless factory loads for some of their shooting but to also be able to reload with black powder for a less powerful load for much of their use. The .32 WS was deemed the best size for this purpose. The caliber was upped from .30 to .32 but same weight of bullet was kept @ essentially the same power level. Twist rate was changed from 12" for the .30 to 16" for the .32 which was much better with the black.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

How about this double?

what did this gunnery training autoloader start out as?

this pump with a "spadegrip adapter"?

and what is wrong with this picture? shocked Zeigfeld Girl Sept., 1943 at Tyndall Field, Florida

Sidelock
Sidelock

The gawd awful Model 24. Big disgrace to the Winchester name.

A "Military Finish" Remington Sportsman.

Can't tell.

Dude on the left has the breech closed on his Remington Model 31.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Let's start with the Ziegfeld Gal and here "skeet squad" first. What's wrong??> All the guys behind this gal have their "ACTIONS CLOSED"- i DON'T CARE UP THEY ARE POINTED UP TOWARDS THE SKY-- THIS A MAJOR MISTAKE IN SAFE GUN HANDLING--

What else did I miss, Dr. Drew?? RWTF OH, I am guessing a Win. M24 for the first photo. About as graceful as a "JackHammer" and nothing like the M21-- that's for certain. But WRA sold a ton of them I guess..

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 03/18/19 11:02 AM.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Another winner smile

#2 Converted Remington

#3 M12 Spadegrip Adapter
http://browningmgs.com/AirGunnery/11_Training.htm

#4 I think the bolts are back on the Remingtons in the hands of the rest of the squad. 1st guy apparently not paying attention, or was distracted wink

Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.