April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jimmy W, WBLDon, SKB, 1 invisible), 981 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,116
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have recently acquired a beautiful Henry Atkin boxlock, built around 1892.

The frame is plain with a nice 127 year old patina, but the top-lever, trigger gaurd, bottom plate and forend iron have been reblued. The trigger gaurd has a brownish hue.

I have seen lots of other guns online with similar color schemes, but it seems busy to me and odd to see a silver frame with a black bottom plate and forend iron.

I'm considering trying to remove the bluing on some or all of the parts, but I would like some opinions about the most appropriate color scheme for a refurbished British double, as well as any advice about the idea of removing bluing on engraved parts.

Thanks in advance.

Jim
[img:left]https://photos.app.goo.gl/2zKrkJeoXuL9DJjR7[/img]
[img:left]https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZFSnSJFtfwrVcjCK7[/img]

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZFSnSJFtfwrVcjCK7

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

Woodreaux, I don't find anything unusual or offensive about the pictured gun. Matter of fact, I think it looks good. what is it about the frame you are calling plain?

DDA

Oh, yeah, welcome.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim, That is a beauty. Keep it as is and shoot it frequently!

Owen
Sidelock
Sidelock

Woodreaux,
Welcome to the forum.
Gunsmith Del Whitman had explained to me that while receivers on most British boxlocks were case colored, the bottom plate whould have been blued. I'm not sure regarding the forend iron.This a picture of the bottom of my Churchill boxlock. Congrats on your beautiful gun!
Karl

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks to both of you!

I don't mean plain in a bad way at all, just not colored. The engraving is really exquisite and in great shape for the age of the gun.

And yes, Owen, I'm definitely hoping to get in the field with it a lot. The barrels were replaced in 1973, so they should be in fine shape to shoot. I'm going to check the wall thicknesses but expect them to be in proof.

I am really just wondering if there is any standard for which parts to blue/black/brown when refurbishing a British gun of this era.

I'll probably take the advice from both of you and keep it as it is.

Thanks again

Originally Posted By: Rocketman
Woodreaux, I don't find anything unusual or offensive about the pictured gun. Matter of fact, I think it looks good. what is it about the frame you are calling plain?

DDA

Oh, yeah, welcome.
A

Jim
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Karl. That is really helpful, and just the information I was looking for.

Glad I didn't go dropping the action in vinegar yet!

Your Churchill is a fine looking gun as well.
Thanks for the picture. This is my first foray into British Doubles. It's quite an experience to hold a gun that has been around so long and represents the work of such skilled craftsmen. That my Atkin was made a few doors down from my 4th great grandfather's tailor shop on Jermyn Street in London just makes it that much better.

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

Woodreaux,
To further explain what I was told by Del who apprenticed at Rigby,the trigger plate, action and in my case the forend iron was case hardened and the rest was blued. My trigger guard had a aged (worn) finish, so Del reblued it to match the rest properly. I believe that you trigger guard has just browned due to age. If nothing has worn from it, I'd leave it show it's earned age proudly.
Karl

Last edited by Karl Graebner; 03/19/19 12:15 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Karl, I've been looking at your pictures, and I think one difference is that on my gun, the color of the blued parts don't match the barrels as well as yours do.

The other is that the trigger gaurd looks like it was blued at the same time but with a different color than everything else. It doesn't really look like it's a matter of age since it's all pretty shiny and new appearing. Here are two pictures that might show the color difference a little better.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ieboykDfG6B17hU58

Nonetheless, I'm thinking I should probably just keep it as is for now. I suspect that what I've got is a very well done amateur refinish, and it likely does not warrant a re-do just to bring it up to professional standards.

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim, I hope the new gun shoots well for you, which is what it is all about, aside from the pleasure of appreciating the aesthetics.
I understand where you are coming from regarding the strong colours(re-done) on the bottom plate, etc but this is pretty much The Trade's method of refurbishing a gun. Personally I would not aim to modify them (heard a few horror stories in that context frown ) - just natural wear of the colour is probably best way to go.
I may have a case label if you need one.
Good shooting.
Harkom.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Harkom. Sounds like I just need to put some real 'handling wear' on the black bits, which I definitely hope to do a lot of.

As for the case, it needs a good working over. I'm planning to restitch some of the leather and re-line the interior. I also removed a divider to get the stock to lay flat, and I plan to customize the layout a little more before re-lining.

I would definitely be interested in a case label. Do you have a label from when they were at 2 Jermyn Street?

Here is the current state of the case: https://photos.app.goo.gl/8wZ9TxXih2bHEz4ZA

Jim
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.