March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Hammergun, Ian Forrester, dukxdog, Don Zahringer, 2 invisible), 780 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,010
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause
Carole's Smith in this image was SN 170967, 20 gauge, FwEOBV, 28" barrels

I can clearly see two triggers on the gun Carole is holding in this picture.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dave may be correct. HOT however could be ordered in the forward position. I do not know the current location of Carole's Crown.

re: Walter & George

The 1st GAH Double Target Championship was won by H.E. Buckwalter of Royersford, Pa. with 18x20 using a Lefever.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As do I, Sir. No "HOT" on this graded 20 bored "Elsie"?? And was the schnobble styled BT forearm a "custom item". As Clark Gable ordered this for her as a wedding gift (some gift indeed)-- wonder if old Clark had any side-by-sides with a Germanic styled forearm??

But, as this has been one of the best of all-time threads ever to be posted on the DG-BBS website- NBD. Again, thanks to our "MC" here, Dr. Drew-- fantastic photos and research on his part- RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause
Carole's Smith in this image was SN 170967, 20 gauge, FwEOBV, 28" barrels

The more I look at this picture, I'm thinking Fox "Skeeter" --

Sidelock
Sidelock

Clearly, not all schnoble forends were created equal.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Carole's forend has the definite Fox look. Runs, not only did I spell Ziegfeld incorrectly, you did also, in post #541576. We are at a draw. We saw some great Fox skeet guns at the Baltimore Show this weekend, but no schnables. A great Skeet and Upland, and a greater Kautsky trigger gun, an SPE Skeet, in near mint condition. Both sold to Fox collectors who know a good buy when they see it.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A 1926 VR Smith Crown

Sidelock
Sidelock

That we are indeed- oh 8-bore, that we are. I yield to your expertise re: A.H. Fox and other fine American side-by-sides.

?? if I may: Why was the "Skeeter" choked imp. mod. right barrel (front trigger) and imp. cyl. left barrel)-rear trigger- isn't that "Bss-Ackwards?"-- A friend has a pre-WW2 M21 Skeet- 16 ga. 26" barrels, right barrel WS-1 choke, and left barrel WS-2. His gun has the SST, pg and B'tail forearm, buttplate checkered but no steel plate as on a Parker with their skeleton steel series.

No much call for 16 gauge skeet guns for competition, but a great combination for: grouse, quail, woodcock and snipe- with a good tight holding dog on point.

How much, if any, difference is there on the older Winchester shotguns between, say: WS-1 and imp. cyl., and WS-2 and mod. ??

Sounds like you had a good show.

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 03/19/19 05:21 PM. Reason: shorten

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Another Olympic quiz - Team Gold at the 1924 Olympics, the last year of team competition
Samuel Sharman, William Silkworth, John Noel, Fred Etchen (top right) and Frank Hughes (second from right and high gun in the Team Competition with 92). Wilford Fawcett (bottom left), Captain, and Clarence Platt. Top 4 scores; Etchen, Hughes, Sharman & Silworth 363x400, counted toward the Team medals. Frank Hughes won a Bronze in the Individual Competition with a 97.
The gentleman in the middle, back row is John "Cap" Grier who was competing in 50m Rifle.
Hughes was the only competitor using a double; by what maker? (hint - check out the FE escutcheon)

Elliott's Shooting Park, 1931 courtesy of Randy Davis. Arie & Jenny used the same maker's gun

Sidelock
Sidelock

Today I finally got around to getting pout Taylor's book, African Rifles & Cartridges". I have the NRA Classic Firearms Library Special Edition, copyright 1995.
The original edition was published by Samworth with a 1948 copyright date. Ejectors were discussed on pages 29 & 30 if you have a copy of either. In a condensed version, keep in mind "Pondora" was an Ivory Hunter, not a "Sportsman per se. When he found a large herd of Elephants, he was not intending to shoot just "One". As he was hunting at a later date than Bell & some others he was mostly hunting in heavy Brush or cover, rather than open Grassland. He still tried to find the "Lead" bull & drop it with one shot.
The noise of a Big gun Booming 9in the cover was difficult to pinpoint & the rest of the herd would sort of loll around waiting on the lead bull to sound the alarm if needed, not realizing he was Dead. It was desirable to Reload that first barrel before trying for the next animal & this needed to be done in complete silence. His practice was to open the gun, remove the fired empty & drop it in a pocket, then reload the chamber & close the gun while holding the top lever so nothing Snapped shut to make a noise. The sound of ejectors pinging or the cartridge case ringing from striking something solid would normally send the herd stampeding out of the area. By following this above practice he stated he could often kill several Elephants all in the same general location without further tracking & also convenient for the Skinners & Ivory harvesters. "IF" actually charged after the shot he said it mattered little if one had ejectors or not, their life depended on that One Shot left in the gun, which was the reason for reloading after the one shot before taking on another. Made sense to me, but as I previously stated my experience at Dangerous Game is a Big Fat Zero/0.

One thing he strongly believed was that a hunter of Dangerous Game should have ALL his rifles similarly equipped, He did not believe in having one with a single trigger & another with double triggers nor one with ejectors & another with extractors, & he was thoroughly convinced a Dangerous Game rifle SHOULD NOT have an Automatic Safety.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.