April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (David Williamson, Kip, battle, fallschirmjaeger, Jimmy W, Jeremy Pearce, 1 invisible), 424 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,796
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#544411 04/24/19 06:09 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

1905 00 grade 12ga extractor. 5 light strikes out of 6 attempts. Seeking ideas.

Pin protrusion is the ample, and the same on both sides. Gun seems to fully cock, set the seats, and the trigger is not dead. Tried multiple brands of ammo to rule out rim thickness. Gun is tight on the face.

I would think weakened hammer spring, bridle too tight.

Sidelock
Sidelock

B.Graham,
If you just got the gun, the first thing to try is a detailed strip and clean, a hundred years of "grunge" can slow things down considerably.
Mike

Last edited by Der Ami; 04/25/19 04:36 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Second for a strip and clean.

I had a light strike issue in my Aya 4/53, and when I took it apart I found a couple of pieces of metal that had been left in the action during the course of a shoddy repair of a cocking dog. not to say that you'll find the same thing, of course, but just that you never know what you might discover. Maybe just grime.

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

Do the back end of the firing pins look like they may have been shortened?

They sometimes mushroom at the back end and a well meaning fix is to grind or file the damage off. That makes them sleek looking again, but too short sometimes for good ignition.
They still protrude the same from the breech,,just short at the back end.

Another problem may be the lock(s) pulled overly tight into their inlets.
Over time and use, people tighten that lock plate screw ever tighter. Pulling the plates and the mechanisms into the wood inlets inside.
It doesn't take much to slow the hammer down. Rubbing against wood or actually bending the plate.

Even an old repair to the wood inside the lock cavity may be sitting a bit high yet and interfering with a hammer or spring. They crack a lot up at the front and repairs done of different skills are often in there. Some helpfull,,some not.

Check the face of the hammers where they contact the firing pins and make sure that surface is square to the back of the firing pin. Hitting the firing pin at a glancing angle can cause it to loose a lot of energy.

None of the parts in those are really a masterpiece of fitting and craftsmanship, doesn't matter what grade,,,so it doesn't take much to start a problem.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Agree-100%- especially as to the fit-up and fitting, as compared to a English "Best" gun--I've seen the lockwork of a friend's H&H Royal- the detachable sidelocks- felt like I was looking at a Rolex's innards-- I like Smiths, but the more complex the action as far as parts and fit-up, the greater the potential problems over years of usage and lack of proper "strip and cleaning" procedures-- IMO-- RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I agree in what Mike stated above.
Also does this gun have the bushed firing pins? The only way to see the back of the pin is to take out the bushing which sometimes can be hard. You didn't say if it was one side or the other, but if only one side the firing pin could be broken inside the bushing.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill, lots of things can cause this. Rim cut too deep, Fireing pin off center, dirt and crud , weak spring, short sear ( if a sear has been worked on too much the hammer throw is shortened due to not being held far enough back) to name a few.

Good luck.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Light strikes could be dirt in the lock work, a fatigued main spring, improper rim depth on the extractor or ejector or as simple as it just needs a little oil on the parts.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What it looks like is happening is that the cocking tooth is interfering with the hammer due to pressure applied by the cocking rod tip in the forend iron. No light strikes with the forend off.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill,
Are you measuring firing pin protrusion from the breech face, with barrels off? Measure the protrusion with the barrels on, both unfired and after dropping the hammer. A half inch rod works. I would say your on the right track, something is either slowing down, or limiting the hammer fall. The forend iron rotates the crank on the cocking rod,in cocking, and then it rotates the crank out of the way. Is the crank on the action end on correctly?

Dennis Potter
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.