March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Researcher, Jimmy W, SKB, arrieta2), 786 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
PALUNC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just saw on a video from Fieldsports Britain that pigeon and crow shooting has been banned. Along with some other species.
Pigeon shooting is a big thing in the UK and it helps the farmers out as well.

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

They also shoot jays and various other bird species they consider to be pests. That one caused me a problem on a driven shoot a few years back. Birds popping out of the cover and coming my way, too small to be either pheasants or partridge and wrong profile to be woodcock. But the Scot next to me keeps yelling "Shoot, shoot" . . . so I finally do whack one of the little critters. Walked over to collect it, showed it to the man who was running the shoot. Asked whether it was blackbirds we were supposed to shoot. Nope. My Scottish shooting companion had been referring to jays. Turns out it's not legal to shoot blackbirds . . . and I was still 23 short to make a pie.

Sidelock
Sidelock

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

What?? No more George Digweed and Tony Crow shooting pest birds in Old Blimey-- unbelieveable long range kills made by these two top clays shooters--

In MI- the native pheasants are way down, so in off-seasons, I shoot crows and feral pigeons-- the dairy farms nearby have large nubers of pigeons, blackbirds, and crows- all legal. We often get seagulls dropping in range on the fields where we set out our decoys- wish they were legal, along with doves- But what does England hope to gain by banning the killing of nuisance birds? You tell me.. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

The thread above is not very accurate:
In the UK, a number of species have been controlled by shooting for various reason such as protecting crops, farm livestock, wildlife, and some health and safety reasons. These species included pigeons, crows and others. This was permitted under what was known as 'General Licenses'.
The legality of these 'General Licenses' was challenged by a pressure group called 'Wild Justice' which is partly fronted by a well known BBC wildlife programme presenter.
It became clear to Natural England (the Government body who administer and issue the licenses) that the current licences were badly drafted and would not stand up to legal challenge in court, so the licences were revoked on 26th April.
New licences are being prepared to replace these with altered wording (and probably more onerous on the shooter and farmer) to fully comply with the law. The first has already been issued and others are expected to follow in days. It remains to be seen how this will alter the ability to use shooting to control these problem species.
It is important to realise that these licences were in place to control pests - not for either sporting or hunting purposes.
I hope that the above is reasonably clear, but this has been a very sudden and rapidly changing situation, and there may be various aspects that are not yet apparent.

To summarise - there is no 'ban' as such; existing licenses were withdrawn, but replacements are being issued. The likely effect is a (few days) cessation of the ability to control pest species, but more onerous conditions applicable to controlling pest species in the future.

Last edited by JohnfromUK; 04/27/19 02:48 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not to say we have a better way of doing things on this side of the pond . . . but it would seem that our system makes more sense. One only needs a hunting license to shoot species that are classified as game, and on which there is an established season, bag limit, shooting hours, etc. Otherwise, if a species is not either protected or classified as game, it can be shot by anyone whether they have a hunting license or not. I'm sure farmers who don't hunt appreciate being able to shoot pigeons without purchasing a hunting license.

Sidelock
Sidelock

John has explained it well but we don't need a license that we have to pay for to shoot game; if we have permission to be on the land and shoot game by the landowner that's all we need and with no bag limit, all it needs is that it is in season. Some species have specific seasons and some have no season at all such as muntjac deer. The pest species were covered by a General Licence which was free to those involved again with permission to shoot on the land. Hopefully it will all be sorted. Things can be followed by checking in to The British Association for Shooting & Conservation (BASC) for short and the website of the Countryside Alliance. Natural England administer this for England so I'm not sure whether Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland are affected. Also Natural England are just an advisory body for the Government so it is not a ban instituted by the Government in this case; they are too busy (or at least I hope so) in disengaging us from the E.U. who would like to impose all sorts of other restrictions. Lagopus…..

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks to our good friends across the pond for setting the record straight.

Good luck chaps!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you Lagopus for some clarifications and filling in a few gaps. Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland are not affected at present. The licenses there are administered by their own local bodies, not Natural England. In Scotland, the law may also be slightly different (Scots law differs from English law in some details).
Perhaps most critically - only England has been challenged in court ....... whether Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland are now challenged, or indeed if there is scope to challenge there remains to be seen.

PALUNC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What I saw on YOU TUBE on the Fieldsports Briton channel was the story. I admit I did not watch the entire video but that what I said was how the video started out.

Mike Proctor
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.