March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Travis S), 251 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,976
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#545365 05/06/19 10:16 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am in the process of refinishing the stock of an AyA 4/53 (built around 1970), and I used oak dowels to fill the holes in the buttstock in order to attach a new leather covered pad.

My question is whether I have potentially caused a splitting problem by not using Walnut to fill the holes. As I understand it, oak should have less swelling than Walnut, so it should be alright, shouldn't it?

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

I never heard of hardwood dowels causing splitting of a buttstock when used to plug screw holes in this manner. You shouldn't have anything to worry about.

I have seen stocks that split when lead shot is stuffed into a hole in the butt in order to add weight. Over time, the lead shot oxidizes and swells, eventually splitting the wood.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think it can be seen that another dowel in that stock does not appear to be walnut and was successful. If wood expansion and contraction might become a worry, I'd consider turning the dowels so that the grain ran in the same direction as the stock.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Why are the dowels used for the plugs so large? I was told a good rule of thumb for selecting a plug size is, the diameter of the hole to be plugged plus a quarter of an inch to remove any screw threading and leave a clean hole in the wood.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The three large holes you see were there already, presumably from the factory. They were plugged with thin disks with hollow spaces beneath. Two of those are still there.

I needed to drill and fill screw holes to put the new pad on, and one of the disks dislodged when I tried to put the 3/8" dowel in the drilled out hole. I removed the small dowel, filled the large hole with a 3/4"dowel and then drilled and filled a new hole for the 3/8" dowel. It was more complicated than I was anticipating when I got started.

After I put the 3/4" dowel in, I started worrying about differential expansion in the types of wood. I looked up dimensional change coefficients, and took some reassurance that red oak changes less than Walnut. (See chart)

Nonetheless, I was not totally satisfied that I had done reasonably. Thus the question to you all.

I'm not sure I entirely understand the rule your describing. Would you clarify?

Jim
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here is a picture of what I was dealing with. Some of the glue and wood from the previous extension make it a little hard to see the details, but the offset holes are obvious enough.

I didn't think about lining up the grain at the time.

I have considered drilling out the center of the larger dowel to make some space for expansion, but I have a feeling I may be meddling at this point.

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim,
Like the country song says "don't count your money while you are sitting at the table"; in other words, it's done now, don't worry about it. Trust your work, if it splits and you can't repair it, someone else can.
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I think that's almost certainly the right answer... And brings a few other aphorisms to mind, since one must know when he is just gilding the lilly.

As has Voltaire said, the perfect is the enemy of the good.
Or as Papaw Wood might say, Dang it, boy, leave well enough alone.

No doubt, perfectionism and perseveration about details are struggles for me...

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: damascus
Why are the dowels used for the plugs so large? I was told a good rule of thumb for selecting a plug size is, the diameter of the hole to be plugged plus a quarter of an inch to remove any screw threading and leave a clean hole in the wood.

Balance, I'd guess...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I havd done exactly this on No4 20 bore. I did use some walnut which i had available well seasoned oak should be fine, and it holds screw well. If the wood gets wet enough for differential expansion i think a split stock will be least of your concerns. Provided the wood is well seasoned, and the gun is stored properly you shouldn't have a problem. If you use it as a canoe paddle then perhaps. But i have a 71 yeat old boat built of mahogany on oak frames and its not suffering.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.