Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#545753 05/12/19 09:11 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What I am wanting to know is there a point or a rule of thumb that says once a barrel has been dented Beyond some point it is no longer safe to repair

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

no rule of thumb but do look for cracks. I have lifted some really ugly dents that worked out just fine.
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Travis, dents need to be evaluated on an individual basis. But there will always be rational judgement involved, and no hard and fast rules. This is complicated by the fact that there are many different types of steel (or iron and steel in the case of Damascus and Twist) used to make barrels.

Barrels are thicker near the breech, and therefore it is easier to dent them further out where the walls become thinner. Lighter guns usually have thinner barrels, and really thin barrels can be much more easily dented in a fall or when struck by a car door, etc. But that is not to say they absolutely can't be dented back where pressures are higher. Raising dents where the wall thickness is greater is more difficult and takes more time. Dents always displace metal. Putting that metal back into place will naturally create some work hardening, but that is seldom a problem. Dents which can be seen inside the bore constitute an obstruction, and should always be removed before using the gun. Deeper dents are more likely to cause a crack than shallow dents. Dents near the ribs may crack or loosen the rib solder joints. That isn't necessarily dangerous, but the additional expense of rib repair may make it uneconomical. Dents near the ribs are naturally harder to remove because it isn't as easy to tap all the way around them with a dent removal hammer.

Some sharp dents are the result of the barrels hitting a sharp corner or rock, and the crease cannot be completely removed by simple dent raising techniques. When people draw file or strike the barrels on the outside, and perhaps hone them on the inside, to remove all evidence of such sharp dents, the barrel walls are naturally made thinner. If this is done too far back, or where your hands wrap around the barrels while shooting, it can create a dangerous situation.

That one is going to leave a mark which would have to be draw filed off and refinished in order to remove evidence of the damage. Opinions vary on just how thin is safe at various points along the barrels. There are numerous threads in the archives here with opinions of what is safe wall thickness.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the replies

It is a lefever Nitro barrel that got dented and it looks like no cracks and will not need to file strike the outside. A bit of sanding will get the exterior done and a small amount of polishing for the interior.

The pisser of it all is that this was a great set of barrels and they fell and hit the top angle iron support of my hydraulic press. The iron wa s1/8" thick but fortunately a little radiused where the barrels made contact. The dent was pretty dented but not a sharp crease. Needless to say I was none-too happy with myself. The dent was about 12" from the muzzle and pretty much at about the 7:00 position on the bottom outside of the left barrel.

I think it will all work out I was going to reblue anyway so it goes.

Thanks again

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good to hear a positive outcome. A couple of things I find useful are a copper hammer and a very light swing using it. I try to use my wrist not my arm like when driving a nail. Light hammer blows leaves little or no marks on the exterior. Another thing that really helps is Polyethylene Film Tape sold by Lanmar. Really keeps the metal clean and very helpful when fitting new screws to a gun as well. I use the .003" most often but the .010" is handy as well.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.