March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (welder, canvasback, Lloyd3, SKB, Owenjj3), 804 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think I can see the proportion and layout differences that I tried to describe, but try as I might, I can not see the rolling breech block or a space that it would occupy. Basically, all Bullards show a distictive pretty symmetrical semi circle appearance that's formed by roughly half the rolling block contour and half the hammer contour.

On my screen, only the hammer shows and it seems to seat fully into the back of the receiver. No arguement from me, only a friendly discussion about the topic. There aren't many around, but they always seem to say quality, at least the ones I've seen. Good luck tracking one down.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I see where you are going. There is a fair bit of shadow in that photo, but you have a good point.

Still, I think it is even less likely to be a Marlin, Winchester, or Whitney. Ithaca made a small bore lever, but I am not aware of a large frame. Not a Savage or any Browning that I've ever seen. What lever rifle makers are we leaving out?

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Based on the configuration of the forend w/ bbl band, button magazine & the front sight I think that rifle is a special order 1894.

I have a picture of a special order 1894 SRC that has the exact same style forend w/bbl band, button mag & sight configuration.

Also, both have the same relatively thin bbl & the slim, open pistol grip on the rifle in question looks like what is often seen on special order 1894 rifles.

Im not set up to post pictures but if someone who can will pm me I'll email the picture to you.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll post them if you send the me. My email is in my profile.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's not a takedown, as the carbine forearm wont work as a takedown. It looks like it's a deluxe carbine since it's a checkered pistol grip stock with shotgun style buttplate. It looks like a 1894 Winchester to me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

While you are at it, look at the peice of clothing that seems wrap around his neck and cover his chest.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Picture of 1894 SRC/w button mag & forearm band sent to Brent.

I'm thinking the button mag w/ bbl band forend instead of the metal capped forend must have been an option offered by Winchester.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the w1894 people are winning frown Still doesn't look right proportionally, at least to me, and I don't understand that screw or whatever in the left side of the forearm. then again, nothing except a hardware store repairman explains that.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the proportions are off because the fellow might be a pretty small guy. One of the first things I noticed was his boot tie downs at his ankles, the right one seems to snug down on a pretty skinny looking leg. The screw sits low in the forearm and probably clears the magazine tube. It may just be a repair.

Back to proportions, I'd figure a coyote is a coyote more or less. Those pelts look wolf sized on that horse, probably some sort of pony, and if they were held up next to that guy or the rifle. I think smaller hands are holding the rifle.

Based on the pencil contour barrel, front sight and forend cap, I'm going to revise my guess just a bit to a Win. model 92 special order SRC. If they fit the rifle, those might be 32-20 shells in the belt loops, because I think 25-20's would look a tad more bottle necked.

edit to add, that building behind him to the left of the picture looks a little different, dormitory like. I wonder he's an Amish or similar kid, and his clothes have a little to do with what might be seen in that sort of community.

Last edited by craigd; 06/02/19 12:20 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I thought they were wolf pelts, too. I doubt that the photo's description on that web-site means anything.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.