April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Jimmy W, FallCreekFan, Marks_21, 3 invisible), 191 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,464
Posts545,053
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like a "Dick Cheney" Texas quail shoot number, Stan. I've never been on a Dixie dove shoot- but on our "Tower Shoot" for released and airborne pheasants- only head high and upwards of that range are allowed- if a rooster decides to go "low and slow", he's saved for the "pick up" hunt later-- Only Southern Whiskey I have tasted were: Virginia Gentleman, and Rebel Yell. Smooth--- RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

I concur, Stan- too many preppie ads for over-priced clothing, who wants to spend big bucks for a pair of Limey pants- breeks??I have benefited in great measure from Bruce Batha's column, just as I did years ago when the late, great Michael McIntosh was the shotgunning editor-'

Also, my 3 grown gals all "chip in" and give me a subscription "re-up" every year for my birthday-- so that is also a factor, plus my friendship with Silvio Calabi- on the masthead, and one of the best straight up writers in the business. RWTF

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 06/14/19 07:58 AM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with buzz on the computer thing! Jim

NRA Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

The article is absolute rubbish. Dont bother reading it as it is reminiscent of his laudatory pining for a non-toxic shot nirvana. Im looking forward to my next issue of the Modern Huntsman due in a few days.

Owen
Sidelock
Sidelock

A couple of years back I emailed him about one of his columns that stated Damascus barrel guns were unsafe. His reason - because it said on the side of a box of shells they shouldn't be shot in Damascus barrel guns. I finally told him thanks for helping to keep the cost of Damascus barrel guns down. The mans a idiot.

Boxlock
Boxlock

He's part of the reason I let my subscription lapse. Too many pages every issue given to a guy who writes absolutely useless articles.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tom has done some good research. I disagree that he is an idiot. He has written a lot of stuff that I disagree with, but he has done some good research, too. He is the one who took a load of shot from a shotshell, painted three layers different colors, loaded it back in the shell and fired it into a tank of water. The shot was recovered from the bottom of the tank and segregated by colors. The bottommost layer was much more misshapen than the two layers above it, proving undoubtedly the results of setback on ignition. Many people have argued that phenomenon, and claim that all the shot in the load are misshapen equally. Not so. Tom proved it. I called and talked with him about that research some years ago.

Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I truly cannot understand why anyone would even think the bottom layer of the shot would not be the most deformed. That's the end the pressure hits it from. While he was doing that did he by any chance test for the difference in deformation of an equal shot load from various gauges. That I believe would be quite informative.

Also, I still agree with his statement which brought this on that as long as the pressure does not exceed what the gun was designed for one is not doing it any great favor by going to Extreme Low-Pressure loads.

I have been loading both Twist & Damascus to around 8K for 40 years or so now & have experienced no problems. Most of my guns had undoubtedly fired many "Proof" loads of off the shelf SAAMI spec loads & are all still going strong.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Look back at this excerpt from a 2016 thread, Miller. Some people still think it's a theory, even tho' Roster has demonstrated, and proven, it beyond any doubt.

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
Well all I was really saying was that for a given amount of shot the shorter & fatter the column the shot will be much more prone to exit the barrel "ROUND" rather than "Squashed". Still don't see what's so hard to understand abut that.
Best Shotgun advice I ever read was to decide how much shot you wanted to throw, how heavy a gun you were willing to carry & how much recoil you could tolerate.
Once you reached a reasonable compromise on those three point, select a gun with the biggest hole down the barrel which met those criteria.

Reply by cpa .......

What squashes it and where is it squashed? On the top of the shot, on the bottom or both? It seems to me that, if this is the case, the top layer of shot would be squashed on the bottom, the bottom layer would be squashed on the top and the intermediate layers would be squashed on both top and bottom. Yet, I have seen perfectly round unsquashed shot in birds. I really don't understand your theory and question its validity, but I could be wrong. I can see that the shot in contact with the bore could be misshapen altho shot cups should limit that. Anyone else have any thoughts on the squash theory?

Edited by cpa (04/06/16 09:41 PM)

I think he only did that demonstration with 12 ga. loads, Miller.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 06/16/19 07:28 AM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan;
Tell me in Layman's terms why, IF, a lead crusher is calibrated to give a certain reduction in length at say 8K psi & it is then fired in a test barrel fitted with both crusher & Piezzo Electric readings at the same distance from the breech the crusher gage will not be reduced to that same extent & thus read a lower pressure.

Think this over carefully & take your time. After your answer, we will go from there. I am not trying to introduce any "Flat Earth" HooDoo but sound mathematical principles.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.