April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (ChiefC, David Williamson, Lloyd3, FlyChamps, 3 invisible), 867 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,822
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

we need a Damascus expert here - which I am decidedly not!

could 'single key', 'double key' & perhaps 'strip' have something to do with number of layers - or perhaps the appearance of the Damascus?
I just don't know.

rgds
Gunter

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here are the barrels of the Colleye System gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice set of pattern welded tubes. So Gunter are you referring to >>Laminated<<, >>Twist<< >>2 Iron<<, >>3 Iron<<??

German terms dealing w/ tubes in advert:

Bandläufen, Drahtläufen, Eisenläufen, Eisenrohr, Stahlrohr, etc.

The advert mentions >>feinen Damastläufen<< further down so I don't know?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey,
I am not referring to anything in particular!
I did say that I don't know anything about Damascus barrels as I thought I had made clear in my message(s)!!??

I provided two (correct) translations of two separate texts relating to two separate questions in this thread and also, as an aside, gave my personal opinion of what I thought might be a possible explanation/description of a put question while stating clearly that I am NOT an expert in this particular field (Damascus barrels)!

I have no idea whether anything might relate to 'laminated' 'twist', '2iron', '3iron' or anything else - as I said, I AM NOT a Damascus expert

So why have a go at me??

I shall think twice in future before I give a translation!

I am too old to get upset for trying to help people!

Gunter

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you all for your time and help in translating and figuring out these texts. It is greatly appreciated.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Gunter

So why have a go at me??

Gunter:

Not sure how you took my post, but it seems you took it any way but the proper way. I was just trying to understand your line of reasoning & from there try to find some correlation. Also, not sure which word or phrase tripped the switch on the tracks, but it wasn't intended in that manner. I try to listen to all posters, maybe less Ford, and my record here on the BBS well supports this. I just thought you & Ford may have been there when they rolled the tubes?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

[img]https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v...&fit=bounds[/img]

Boy Photobucket has really changed again.

Anyway, hopefully this link is to a legible snippet.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ah, hah. I have found it from 1829:

>>Drahtläufen Ueber eine Hülse wird wie bey den Bandröhren ein starker Eisendraht spiralförmig dicht an einander und mehrmahls über einander gewunden bis das Rohr die erforderliche Stärke erhalten hat hierauf wird das Rohr wie gewöhnlich geschweißt und nach
Vollendung desselben die Hülse ausgebohrt Diese Gattung Röhre welche besonders in Kärnthen erzeugt werden haben den Vortheil der Gewundenen nur ist zur Erzeugung derselben zu viel Zeit erforderlich wodurch ihr Vorzug wieder verloren geht Uebrigens kann man bey den Drahtröhren mit mehr Gewißheit auf die Güte derselben als bey den Gewundenen und Gedrehten rechnen indem es unmöglich ist aus einer schlechten Gattung Eisen Draht zu erzeugen
Diese Röhre sind jedoch nicht mit den uralten und gleich Anfangs verworfenen Drahtröhren canon filé zu verwechseln welche eben so mit umgewundenem Drahte auf einem Rohre vorbereitet aber anstatt geschweißt mit Schlagloth und Borar gelöthet wurden von der Hülse wurde auch nur die Hälfte höchstens ausgebohrt Ueberdieß bestand der Pulversack auf einer Länge von 10 bis 12 Zoll durchaus aus geschmiedetem Eisen Es ist sonderbar genug daß sich kürzlich Jemand bey der österreichischen Artillerie gemeldet hat welcher dieses Verfahren als neu angab und auf diese Art sogar grobe Geschütze verfertigen wollte ohne sich dabey einer eisernen Hülse zum Umwinden und Löthen des Drahtes bedienen zu wollen.......<<

https://books.google.com/books?id=43dAAAAAcAAJ&lpg=PA142&ots=e5VQIbul2F&dq=Drahtl%C3%A4ufen&pg=PA143#v=onepage&q=Drahtl%C3%A4ufen&f=false

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wire Roughing Over a sleeve, as with the band tubes, a strong iron wire is wound spirally close to each other and several times over each other until the tube has received the required strength, then the pipe is welded and slackened as usual

This genus tubes, which are especially produced in Carinthia, have the advantage of the tortuous, but too much time is required to produce them, whereby their merit is lost again. By the way, with the wire tubes one can confidently ascertain the goodness of them To make twisted and twisted pieces, it is impossible to make wire from a bad kind of iron

These tubes, however, are not to be confused with the ancient and immediately discarded wire tubes canon filé which are prepared with wound wire on a tube but instead of welded with pestle and borar loosened from the sleeve only half were drilled out at the most On a length of 10 to 12 inches it is certainly made of forged iron. It is curious enough that somebody recently reported to the Austrian artillery who indicated that this procedure was new and in this way even wanted to make rough guns without having to use an iron sleeve for winding and To serve soldering of the wire......

Forced, poor translation.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very interesting reference to Carinthia.

This is the damascus sample display in the Buchsenmacher u. Jagdmuseum of Ferlach, and Carinthia is upper right

Steve's tube certainly appears to be 3 iron acid etched Bernard I, which was a very popular pattern in quality Ferlach and Suhl guns

This is a close up of the acid etched Carinthia sample, unfortunately taken through the glass of the display case

I don't see the repetitive pattern of loops in Steve's barrel, which carries the Liege provisional proof and ML in an oval - likely Manufacture Liégeoise (1866-1929) though usually a crowned ML.
17.2 should be the bore in mm = .677" or an overbored 16g? 14g is .693"

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.