March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (NCTarheel, Marc Ret, Lloyd3, Ted Schefelbein, 2 invisible), 338 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,003
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Nick. C Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

While the 3% nickel rods come highly recommended for repairs on gun parts, I found the price of them to be the deal breaker, I can order them this side of the pond from Brownells UK but have been searching for alternatives.
Just stumbled onto some 2% nickel rods from a well known maker which work out at 17 sterling ($20-25 ?) for a 1kg pack (2.2lbs)
Obviously, the price is the attraction but wonder if they'll do the job.
I'm not a metallurgist but I do know that 1% of something or other in steel alloys can make a lot of difference.
I've not got the spec sheet yet so need to get that to make sure there's no chromium in them as that will cause problems with the blacking required after some repairs.
The big question is, has anyone here used a similar rod, were they good and did they match the rods from Brownells ?
It's a long shot I know and I'll probably buy a pack as they'll be a good rod for a multitude of jobs.
I'd be more than happy to hear any feedback from anyone who's used them and if not, I'll let you know how I get on with them when I get chance to use some.
Sods law dictates nobody will bring any broken gun parts to try them on in the near future, I may have so break some old spares just to try them smile
Thanks in advance,
Nick.

Edit. Just had a reply from the supplier, there's no chromium in the rods.
They're the 1.6mm (1/16") Sif Ni2 rods.

Last edited by Nick. C; 06/14/19 11:47 AM.

Rust never sleeps !
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nick

Please explain this

Sods law dictates nobody will bring any broken gun parts to try them on in the near future, I may have so break some old spares just to try them

Thank you
Mike

p.s. upon further study, I think I understand now smile

Sod's law is the axiom that "if something can go wrong, it will", with the further addendum, in British culture, borrowed from Finagle's law, that it will happen at "the worst possible time". This may simply be construed, again in British culture, as "hope for the best, expect the worst

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Nick. C Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That's about the size of it Mike, if I painted cars for a living and bought some fantastic new blue paint, everybody who came to the shop would want red or yellow cars that month. wink

Rust never sleeps !
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nick,

I think I have a couple pounds of the rod youre looking for sitting here in the shop.

If you PM me an address, Ill send you a care package to fiddle with. Ill check the composition of the rods before I mail any.
Actually, I have a brand new micro tig setup here that Ive never even plugged in. Just too busy these days.

As they say, the cobblers kids go without shoes.

Out there doing it best I can.
Nick. C Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Clapper Zapper. Thank you, that's very kind of you offer but I'm a very long way from you, it may cost a lot of cash to send them.

Rust never sleeps !
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sod- as in "Green side up"?? The old joke about the landscaper who hired some Pollacks to lay down sod at the Schmuckadella Hills development in Scarsdale--

So what does grass on dirt have to do with our "Murphy's Laws" over here in the colonies? You Limeys sure have your own way with the English language, that the late Geo. Bernard Shaw declared was a factor in our separation from the Crown, a few centuries ago.

Best filler rod for 1018=1040 low sulphur bearing steels for the TIG (Tungsten Inert Gas) process in welding-- In MIG welding of similar analysis steels, AWS 70S=3, so as our Lincoln wire feed welder uses .045 wire (with 100% Argon shielding gas-same as you should be using with your TIG welder- I unspool a length of that and use it for filler rod- so far, results have been fine-- fluid puddle, best in the TIG to be welding in 1G position (downhand)--

For alloyed gun steels (AISI 4130-4140) I use Lincoln 308-16-ELC filler rod-- .040" to .056", depending on joint structure to be TIG welded--

Don't know how you Limeys interpret our USA AWS code- just as we have SAE threads, and you have Whitworth- we work in thousands of an inch, you laddies are on the metric side, righto??

Got a big hoot out of Da Trumpster's recent visit with the ROB (Royal Old Broad)- hard to believe Liz is 93-- she did have some nice words about the 75th Anniv. of the D-Day landing on the five deadly beaches of the Normandy Coast- but his now defunct Press Secretary sitting next to Old Chuckie--that was priceless-- "Hey Chuck, can you please pass the Catsup?-- maybe not. Foxie-- member- AWS

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Nick. C Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

RWTF, I have some small reels of mig wire here which I use quite often, it's seems to do a good job most of the time as you say, just a case of cutting lengths and cleaning off the copper with scotchbrite and a quick wipe with Mek solvent .
I've noticed a few old parts (mainly from ancient air guns and the odd cast part) aren't so easy to weld small areas as the wire and other grade steel rods I have don't seem to flow as well and there's a temptation to lean on the pedal which gets parts a little too hot, it's probably not an issue with most jobs but I'd like to try the Nickel Steel rods as people say they flow in really well.
Perhaps i've just had a few 'dirty' castings/forged parts in a row but I'd like to try some other rods which may make life easier and still allow parts to be blacked or blued.
We have to think in stereo over here, millimeters and the metric stuff can be easy to work out sums but I still use feet and inches, pounds and ounces because they're easier to divide.
Imperial threads, good once you have a grip of what's out there, I play with Brit motorbikes so had to adapt to all the weird and wonderful combinations of thread sizes, often different on one end of a stud to the other.
It's all good fun though smile

Rust never sleeps !
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ever tried copper chill plates- and also Tempilsticks-- you want to contain the input temp. to the weld area and in the HAZ (heat affected zone) Assume you are using Thoriated tungstens and DC straight polarity on your TIG set-up-- another way to contain input heat is to use a 50-50 ratio of argon and Helium- expensive however--RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Clapper Zapper you have a message in the in box.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have found there is no economy in cheap tools or materials. Every time I try to save money it cost me double. The reason the 3-1/2% nickel rod is so expensive is because its worth it. Just like a divorce.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.