April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (rtw, earlyriser, Ian Forrester, coosa, Lloyd3, 1 invisible), 876 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,819
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 18 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 17 18
Sidelock
Sidelock

Shoot fast? A friend has a Remington hunting rifle from the 1940s that qualifies.

Looks menacing?? Are you serious?? That is a reason to ban them??

I had a close friend die in a house fire when we were 19. He ran back in to get someone out. Should we ban house fires? I also had friends die in car accidents. When they were driving! Lets get rid of cars. Far more people die from cars than from guns.

The truth is anecdotal experience is meaningless and statistics are not on your side Bill.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

CB, Did I say ban? If we could ban house fires, I'd go with that. Cars are a possible parallel. There are requirements for their ownership and operation. The numbers of annual deaths, cars vs guns, are so close the difference doesn't matter. Suppose 18 year -olds had to have some instruction and pass an exam to own a gun. Suppose you had to be 21 to own an assault rifle. Suppose you had to pass a background check to buy a gun at a show. Nobody would be seriously harmed by such requirements. And they'd have some positive effect. I think many mass shooters are neither smart nor very resourceful. Just one simple roadblock would stop some. It's good to have discussions like this. Maybe someone will suggest something that makes a difference.

Last edited by rocky mtn bill; 06/24/19 07:10 PM.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill youre conflating gun violence with suicide by firearm. Big difference. Make guns harder to find and use, people kill themselves in other ways.

Criminal gun violence represents about a 1/3 of deaths as result from motor vehicles.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

CB, You're right. I did forget the suicide factor. People inclined to kill themselves with guns are likely not so reluctant to take others with them. To the extent they're identifiable, let them do themselves in by some other means.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: rocky mtn bill
....Did I say ban?....

I don't know Bill, was it someone else that likes to throw around that word and "confiscate" to elicit knee jerk feelings? Still not you? Maybe, it was the folks that you campaign for around here? Hey great news huh Bill, MT wants legal pot, the gateway to blissful feelings, cure all for mental health woes, and the kind of MT we want for our grandkids, eh?

Sidelock
Sidelock

....I did forget the suicide factor. People inclined to kill themselves with guns are likely not so reluctant to take others with them. To the extent they're identifiable, let them do themselves in by some other means.

Did you just write, you don't care about other things, just focus on gun control?

Sidelock
Sidelock

2016 firearm homicide number was 11,004, FBI numbers. Deaths were caused by 65% handguns, 6% rifle and shotgun, the rest unknown or not reported as to type. Auto deaths for the same year 37,461, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration numbers. Real numbers, real difference. Pedestrian deaths 6,227 pedestrians were killed in traffic in 2018. Not that many less than by firearms and equal to those known to be killed by handguns.

And when you break down the numbers of drug related deaths are way worse. Drug related rime is a major part of all gun violence and that is business, not personal. Disputes over territory, crimes to steal drugs, or money from rivals, or shots fired to collect what is due, or payback for previous shootings. You don't go to court to get a judgement, in that trade, you go do it yourself. 8 out of 10 local homicides, in the last two months, have been drug related locally.

Over the same period there have been many, many more overdose related deaths. They just don't make the news. A gun related death is headline news, while a drug overdose death is so normal it does not even get mentioned. Overdose in 2017 claimed 47,600. More than cars and guns combined. But it's all guns the problem, to many, not drugs or cars.

If a war on guns was waged by the Federal Government and was as successful as the war on drugs we all would need larger safes to store our ever increasing gun collections. If you can not stop tons of drugs how are you going to stop them bringing in guns? What was seized last week a Billion dollars of drugs in Philly harbor? 35,000 pounds, or 15,876 kilograms. They put the street value of the drugs at $1.1 billion. A billion plus dollars worth. Criminals don't follow laws. Gun or drug laws are a joke to them. Make people with mental health issues unable to buy or posses guns and be done with it. Nobody else is going to follow stricter laws, except honest people and why should they be punished?

I'll bet you anything you want, there was not a billion dollars of illegal guns brought into this country last year. How many billion dollars of drugs were? Over a billion a week from Mexico alone.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow Billy, it didn't take much to get you to once again poison the waters with your insane anti-gun Democrat diatribes. I still can't figure out why you don't do this when you are communicating with your pals in the Classic and Custom Rifle forum.

The old NRA lie that any concession would lead overnight to total confiscation and a return to the Dark Ages is just what it is , a lie.

Just for fun Billy, I'd like you to show us exactly where and when the NRA ever said what you claimed above. You know damn well this is another one of your lies, or at best, a gross exaggeration. But we all know that the anti-gun Democrats have never been satisfied with any concession or any new anti-gun legislation they manage to pass. We all know that they are always pushing for more restrictions on law abiding citizens. If they ever got the ban on semi-auto rifles they want, do you seriously think they will be happy and stop trying to ban handguns?

We know that you do not like AR-15's or the NRA. And we also know that more people are killed annually in the U.S. by hammers and blunt instruments than by AR-15's, AK-47's, and all rifles of all types combined, including Mossbergs and the rifles you like. But facts never meant much to you Billy.

I'm very happy to see that KY Jon mentioned the huge numbers of drug overdose deaths. According to the CDC, in 2016, there were more than 63,600 drug overdose deaths in the United States. This is more than the total of U.S. combat deaths for the entire Viet Nam war. A hell of a lot of those deadly drugs that are killing tens of thousands of kids are coming across the border that you anti-gun Democrats wish to keep wide open. But not a word from you about that death toll and carnage Billy. I wonder why??? And hey Billy, a lot more kids die from texting while driving than from school shootings. Perhaps you can tell us why anti-gun Democrats like you aren't pushing for restrictions on teen driving and teen cell phone ownership???

And speaking of restrictive gun laws in foreign countries, could you explain this to us Billy???...

The U.S. has over 300 million guns and a 2012 murder rate of 4.7 per 100,000. Russia has only 13 million guns, and a 2012 murder rate of 9.2 per 100,000. So we have 23 times as many guns, and a murder rate about half as high as Russia. It would seem that the problem is cultural rather than due to the availability of guns. And we know that violent crime is worse in places like Detroit and Chicago that have been under Democrat control for decades. I'd bet that a ban on Democrats would save a lot more lives than a ban on AR-15's... without even considering deaths of unborn babies.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A ban on democrats, African Americans, Latinos, and previously convicted gun crime violators would take the gun problem down to about zero. However, as we know, that isn't going to happen, never will. In Maryland last week, two gun stores were burglarized, one perp killed by police. One of the perps shows up on the Maryland Case Search website as having been arrested less than a month before the burglaries for "gun in car", "gun on person", "loaded gun on person", "gun in possession by a previously convicted felon" "CDS possession over ten grams" "CDS distribution with gun" and other miscellaneous charges, yes, in May of 2019, the month before the burglaries. He was released the day after he was charged to allow him to burglarize two gun stores and get his buddy killed. What kind of crime would keep a Maryland perp incarcerated for more than a day? I won't mention race, but you may guess. I feel that the mention of race is OK because honest people of any race would be disturbed at the criminal behavior of those of their race. Equal rights is alive and well here also, one of the perps being a female, although identities are not mentioned when juveniles are involved.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rocky Mountain Bill is without a doubt sick in the head....

Page 8 of 18 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.