May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (mark, smlekid, bsteele, 2 invisible), 579 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,541
Posts546,049
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Trap shooting....with a mounted gun is a sport for Zombies.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yup.

Imagination is everything. - Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Marklart, are you saying that when you align the center bead BEHIND the front bead and aim them at a mark on the patterning board, that the pattern perfectly surrounds the mark that you were aiming at? Or are you stacking the front bead on top of the middle bead. Where do you see "a bit of rib"? Do you mean between the beads?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just go buy a British one pound coin.........that is, if any one who gets paid in dollars could afford one. works great!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Bob Blair
In the old classic British gun fitting check, I understand that a one pound coin was placed on the breech end of the rib on top of the barrels. Apparently everything is correct if you can just see the bead lying just on top of the coin with the gun properly mounted. So say the Anglophiles. Maybe some of our good British friends could comment on this method.

That "fitting check" is much more recent than you think....In the days of classic British guns there was no such thing as the pound coin. There were sovereigns, coins worth 21 shillings, and these were much thinner. The pound coin is a recent invention, imposed on my neighbours in 1983. At that time there was a move to name it a “Maggie,” after Mrs. Thatcher, as it was "hard, thick, had rough edges and thought it was a sovereign."
I'm old enough to remember when 6d was a week's pocketmoney, a night out as a student could be had for 10/6 and a pound was a fortune!!
K.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This site, and this thread in particular, has been very helpful. I wasn't aware of the British gun fitting check, but now that I have a gun that fits that paramater, I feel much better about it.

Imagination is everything. - Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

If it shoots where you want, and your pupil is just on top of the rib, or even higher, that should be OK. If your eye is low enough so that someone looking back from the muzzle could only see part of your pupil, then you would be giving up some target visibility. You would see some rib if your pupil is completely on top of it, even if the bottom of your pupil is just even with the top of the rib.

A SxS with big fences tends to block the view when mounted. Seeing a little more rib might help seeing the target. A technique that involves firing just as the mount completes could help, too.

Last edited by J. Hall; 09/04/07 12:12 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ribs, beads, barrels are all just in the sight picture to give the eye a reference point to use in the quest to get the shot where you are looking. It is not like using iron sight on a rifle where it is important to line them up and have them in perfect target, front sight and rear sight picture to get the bullet on target. Some of us see all the rib and other see almost none of the rib.

I place far more value on point of impact than anything else. If the gun hits where I am looking then the beads and ribs are not that big of a deal. If it does not hit where I am looking then no sighting down the rib will make it right.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like to see a full rack of ribs on my plate.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You are absolutely right, J. Hall. When you have someone mount their gun and point it right toward your eye, if it is a hunting gun, then the beads will be lined up, one behind the other and they should not see the top of the rib. Their eye will be on the same plane as the rib. So how do these guys think you will be looking down on the rib. If someone mounts a trap gun, stacks the beads on top of each other and points it at your eye, then they will be looking DOWN on the rib and see down the whole length of the rib. It's as simple as that. If one gets the process backwards, and mounts a field gun like a trap gun, then you will have to compute two angles when following a bird- how low to hold the gun under the bird AND how far to lead it. Not too many people do that. If they do, that's OK but that's not the proper way to do it and I would certainly never teach a beginner to use a field gun like that.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.