April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Drew Hause, Dan R, canvasback, ithaca1, ChiefC, Lloyd3), 632 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,816
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
John E Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It has always been my understanding that the term "Furniture" describes the accessory or accoutrement items on a firearm. According to, http://www.hallowellco.com/abbrevia.htm, Furniture includes items such as the buttplate, trigger guard, barrel bands, etc., but not the stock proper. Cyber media seems to use the term interchangeably with the stock. This always comes off to me the same as using the term clip in place of magazine. Can someone point me to a reference, that clearly defines the proper usage.
Thank you.

Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just a slang word like 'loaded' is for cars. I'd forget it.
Corruption of the word 'vintage' has always bothered me.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Furniture is used regularly on line to describe the wood. Its used that way by people who dont know the correct definition as developed by the British Trade and who make the assumption that furniture has something to do with wood the way a table and chairs have something to do with wood.

Hallowells definition is as close to correct as it needs to be.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
John E Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I understand it is being used as slang. But it was an established term in the industry and has been, as stated, corrupted. I find use of a verb in slang is common and tolerable. But it seems outright contemptuous when a noun.

http://www.jacobsburghistory.com/news/glossary/muzzle-loader-terms-glossary/

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/category/category_id/359/category_chain/350,359/name/Furniture/

Clip is not Magazine.
Extractor is not Ejector.
Furniture is not Stock

I may need to turn down my cringe meter.

Thanks,

John

Last edited by John E; 06/24/19 01:26 PM.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

John, up here its not used as slang. They dont know the correct usage, get offended and obstinate when gently corrected and prefer to continue to propagate ignorance.

I find those with an interest in doubles are generally happy to know the correct usage and those who shoot pumps and semis prefer to persist. I try to ignore it now unless the posters previous comments suggest an interest and willingness to learn.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
John E Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes, that is what I have found also. No one seems to care about formal, proper, or correct; and they seem more than ready to shoot the messenger.

John

Sidelock
Sidelock

Over here in Blighty, door handles, hinges, numbers and letter boxes (slots for mail) etc is known as 'door furniture' .
It's also sometimes known as 'knobs and knockers' ;-)
The door is still called the door tho.

Rust never sleeps !
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gee, seems horribly logical, no???

Dumb, but learning...Prof Em, BSc(ME), CAE (FYI)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Like all terms in the British gun trade they have been used and misused over the years so that the original meaning is not always exactly correct .
An example is that of "tail pipe" .Originally this was the metal escutcheon at the front end of the stock on a muzzle loading gun into which the ram rod was entered . The term has continued in use to mean virtually any forend tip .
Furniture is a general term that encompasses all the parts that are not directly part of the working mechanism of the gun ,BUT , the trigger guard ,trigger plate and triggers are also commonly called "the furniture" , these were usualy made up by "furniture filers" who also filed up other small parts such as tail pipes and heel plates .
I assume the term would have been coined in the early days of gun making where the "furniture " would have been something that fastened onto the wood of a muzzle loading gun , probably taken from the furniture's that would have been fitted to doors etc .
The trade was never one for not reusing a perfectly good existing term .

Sidelock
Sidelock

I seem to recall that Greener defines the parts encompassed by the word "Furniture" - in The Gun and ...

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.