April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jtplumb, Fudd, Birdog, WBLDon, Marks_21), 471 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,472
Posts545,155
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan we are all still waiting on proof that you saw lots of Citoris held shut with rubber bands.

I like how you ignored what I said about a Pirazzi.

So here we go again...

Would you agree that there are thousands upon thousand more Browning Citoris out there in service than Pirazzi O/Ur ?

And would you also agree that you heAr about more Pirazzi shotguns breaking down ?

Ps...Stanley you really should be man enough to apologize for attacking Mr. Ed over some old grudge you hold.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not going to plow the same ground over and over. I've stated what I've seen. That's all it is, and that's all I'm going to say on the matter.

You really should think a bit longer about what you want to post, before you do it. Your constant editing makes it tough to respond.

Maybe you should give your partner Ed a pep talk. You've been carrying the load for him lately. Bless your heart.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

No rubber band proof that's what I figured...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Argo44
My son has been shooting my Remington 870 at sporting clays for two years since I introduced him to the sport. He doesn't get much charge out of our SxS's. He said the other day that he liked the pointing characteristic of the Remington but that he'd gone about as far as he can with the pump and at some point would like an O/U.

So, birthday coming up, I'm considering it. I don't want to spend more than about $1,500 and know zip about O/U's

I'd recommend a Browning 725 Sporting...30 or 32" barrel.

It's a little more than you talked about spending but it has a lot of features for the money...and it's available in right or left hand.

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Back to the OP's question and somewhere along the line mention of both types of guns being available for rent; I would suggest that you rent one gun and shoot a full sporty clay course with it. Then come back the next day and shoot the same course, but rent the other gun. That should give your son a better opportunity to judge for himself how each feels in his hands. I would personally find it difficult to form much of an opinion shooting less than a few boxes or by switching the guns between each other over a few targets. I'll also mention that skeet is still the best back to basics shotgun game. Shooting skeet from a gun down start or off the shoulder as one might approach a dog on point is a good way to see how a gun handles.

Let us know how it goes. Great that you are shooting together!

Sidelock
Sidelock

well, as we are getting back on topic, may i humbly suggest the original o/u, that started it all...the browning belgian made superposed...wonderful elegant guns, that seem to shoot where you point them...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browning_Superposed

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd second that suggestion but add that I'd do it more than 1 day with each gun if for no other reason than to rule out the lucky day.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Copied and pasted from Shotgunworld:

Read 'em and weep. This isn't a recent "phenomenon".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post subject: Citori Opening when firing top barrel Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:44 pm
Crown Grade

My Citori is opening when I fire the top barrel first. It will remain closed when firing the bottom barrel first, but the gun feels funny sometimes and I think it's because it is opening slightly and reclosing. I believe on examination and comparing it to another Citrori that the bolt lock is worn. I can get if from Brownells at http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/schema ... Citori+#50 but can I install it myself? How much fitting is required? Is the disassembly of the insides that difficult? I have replaced firing pins and hammer springs and am reasonalby good with tools. TIA

Seamus O'Caiside
Post subject: re: Citori Opening when firing top barrel Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:42 pm

I've never owned a Browning O/U, but I have a lot of friends who do. Several of them have had similar problems, and it turned out to be a weak top lever spring. That seems to be something that is fairly common in Brownings. Replacing the spring is pretty simple, although I can't tell you how it is done.

GunDr
Post subject: re: Citori Opening when firing top barrel Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:42 pm
Gunsmith
Gunsmith

Before going to too much expense of getting a new locking bolt fitted or rebuilt, try a new top lever spring. The Citori top lever spring gets quite a workout and it weakens.

SuperXOne
Post subject: re: Citori Opening when firing top barrel Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:30 am
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The Browning over and under, whether Citori or Superposed, wears out that little top lever spring and causes exactly the problem you are describing. Bet it's just the top lever spring. My Superposed did that and a top lever spring fixed it. Cost me 40 bucks installed at a Sporting Clays shoot.

While you are replacing the top lever spring, you need to clean the firing pins and the holes they travel in. The bottom firing pin, especially, is prone to get gunked up and cause light firing pin strikes.

Post subject: re: Citori Opening when firing top barrel Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:15 am
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I was in the middle of the first day of a two day sporting clays tournament when my Superposed started popping open when I fired the top barrel. I cleaned it with Break Free between stations, and it made it much worse. So, I wiped all the oil off and took a section of aluminum foil off a cigarette pack and made a shim to put on the front hinge. It seemed to work, but the foil wouldn't last. A Browning fanatic came up (anybody who owns at least six Diana grade Superposed is, in my book, a Browning fanatic) and I asked him what did he think was wrong. He told me it was just that top spring and there was a gunsmith on the grounds that could fix it, probably overnight.

I shot the rest of the stations with it popping open. It only popped open on the top barrel, after you shot it. I don't think I missed any birds because of it, but sometimes it would pop open and, I swear, close again, and I could see this as I shot.

Overnight the gunsmith with a trailer on the grounds fixed it for forty bucks. He said they were notorious to do that, and so was a Citori, same design. Ever since it's been just fine.
I've been meaning to get a spare top lever screw, but never have.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

gee stan, you must be part bull dog, georgia bull dog, that is...once you latch on, you just cant let it go...

any how, never seen nor heard of brownings popping open...however, i do not travel in high volume competitive shooting circles, so i am really unqualified to speak about such things...my area of expertise is more in field guns and casual target guns...the browning top lever spring issue sounds like the notorious parker single trigger issue...something dedicated shooters tolerate because they love their gun so much for its looks and shooting qualities...

there is in fact no perfect gun...we do not live in a perfect world...thank goodness, cause din we would have nuttin to grouse about...cept duh wedder...

Last edited by ed good; 06/24/19 08:28 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ed good
gee stan, you must be part bull dog, georgia bull dog, that is...once you latch on, you just cant let it go...

any how, never seen nor heard of brownings popping open...however, i do not travel in high volume competitive shooting circles, so i am really unqualified to speak about such things...my area of expertise is more in field guns and casual target guns...the browning top lever spring issue sounds like the notorious parker single trigger issue...something dedicated shooters tolerate because they love their gun so much for its looks and shooting qualities...there is in fact no perfect gun...we do not live in a perfect world...thank goodness, cause din we would have nuttin to grouse about...cept duh wedder...

No ed, no bulldog in me. My family descends from "Rambling Wrecks", from GA Tech.

I just take it personal like when I'm called a liar.

SRH

Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.